Import Recruiting

AKAChip

16 hours ago, Floyd said:

What I'm saying is that other teams have had continuity in scouting departments...

I don't see continuity helping in scouting.  Murphy brought his database  here from Calgary and never missed a beat.  MacManus did the same when he came from Hamilton.  Unless it is your first scouting job, you have the contacts already built.

44 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I've never been a fan of McManus.  Every interview I hear of him basically insinuates that he's hammered all the time and it's more awkward than funny.

Take it for what it's worth but that's how he sounded when he played QB as well.

16 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The Bombers have brought in plenty of recruited prospects over the last 4 years but O'Shea has cut the majority of them for whatever reason.  Perhaps they weren't good enough players but I think O'Shea's obsession with ST players contributions plays too big a part in deciding who stays and who goes.  Thus they have a roster stuffed with LB and FB type players who are not skilled enough or lack the experience to actually play their position.  Fielding Hurl and Briggs or a rookie at WIL for the next game is going to trigger flashbacks of a LB crew we might have seen in 2014-2015.

This.

But I think it is all three Miller - Walters - and OShea who covet the "Pluggers" over the talent-based players. It really shows at positions such as Reciever, DB, and LB. I think the organization is a bit fixated on winning with "Guys of good character" who are "Steady, consistent, lunch-pail workers". Talent is not a big focus obviously for either the recruiting or retention of personnel in the skill positions.

It remains to be seen whether we'll ever win a GC with the "Allstar Plugger" roster... We'll see...

We've never been great recruiting linebackers & receivers. That's where our team falls virtually flat. Has since 2014. We should be a lot better in those areas. If we were, we'd really be a top echelon CFL team right now. Not rated #5 or #6 every week. A true Grey Cup contender.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, tracker said:

So far Knox has not been a starter on defence, although he has shown flashes, and Bass was darned good as an outside linebacker but mediocre at best in the middle. Overall, our scouting has been poor.

He hasnt had much of a chance either. That isnt poor scouting. Usage, and plenty of other things you can argue have been poor. But we have one of the best and youngest OLs, and the deepest. We rebuilt our DL. etc. Poor scouting is a few years ago when we had massive holes all over the place and no one with a pulse to fill them. 

5 hours ago, AKAChip said:

You clearly miss the point. Nevis was a Hamilton find. I am also looking forward to seeing what Jeffcoat can do but as of right now, he has proven nothing. Knox has been here for over a year now and could not beat out Hurl for a starting job. 

fa scouting is still scouting. Its still our management team. scouting cfl talent is more important then down south. 

Said before camp i thought it was gonna be hurl unless some one was crazy good. Look how good jeffcoat was and he is on the pr. The best players in camp/ps dont automatically win spots on a team that is coached by a players coach. 

22 hours ago, TheSource said:

This.

But I think it is all three Miller - Walters - and OShea who covet the "Pluggers" over the talent-based players. It really shows at positions such as Reciever, DB, and LB. I think the organization is a bit fixated on winning with "Guys of good character" who are "Steady, consistent, lunch-pail workers". Talent is not a big focus obviously for either the recruiting or retention of personnel in the skill positions.

It remains to be seen whether we'll ever win a GC with the "Allstar Plugger" roster... We'll see...

Talent isn't a focus...? What a stupid comment. Makes me wonder what the source of your football knowledge is.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:36 AM, AKAChip said:

You clearly miss the point. Nevis was a Hamilton find. I am also looking forward to seeing what Jeffcoat can do but as of right now, he has proven nothing. Knox has been here for over a year now and could not beat out Hurl for a starting job. 

That's not technically true... it isn't really an "open" competition b/c of ratio considerations... I'm not saying he's definitively better than Hurl, but it's incorrect to say Hurl "won" the starting position...

37 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's not technically true... it isn't really an "open" competition b/c of ratio considerations... I'm not saying he's definitively better than Hurl, but it's incorrect to say Hurl "won" the starting position...

Because of the weirdness of the CFL and the ratio, LB Kyle Knox was in competition with DT Cory Johnson for a starting spot.

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'd really like to see what Derek Jones can do at CB...  seemed decent from what I remember

Randle-Heath-Loffler-Alexander-Jones

Then you can play 7 imports or rotate your NIs

Not a terrible plan but at the moment we have no NI depth at DB so that would be pretty risky.

IMO we should be considering moving Bond to RT and starting Couture on the OL.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Not a terrible plan but at the moment we have no NI depth at DB so that would be pretty risky.

IMO we should be considering moving Bond to RT and starting Couture on the OL.

The easiest move is rotating Corney, Thomas and Ekakitie to fill your 7th NI - I'd really look at giving Corney major reps instead of Jeffcoat right now