3 stars and HH week 2

wbbfan

19 minutes ago, BBlink said:

it didn't help that I was salty from that ludicrous display last night.

This is such a great description of how I was last night and, to a degree, still am this morning. I'm still at a point in my life where a Bombers loss puts me in a "salty" mood the whole week till next game. 

Edited by Noeller

I gave MOS a reprieve from criticism last year when he finally yanked Willy, but it's going to be hard to not criticize him watching how poorly we come out in the 2nd half of games. That was as demoralizing a game as I could have watched last night, everything was in place. Playing a team that has owned our stadium, riddled with injuries, and not playing very well. The Stamps sucked last night compared to their usual efforts and we just served up the game on a platter.

Serenity now.

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

somebody in chat said, there haven't been many games where the Moss team played well for an entire game. Even last week's game, where they went into a shell and let sask back into a game .

yesterday, Moss, with no time outs at end of half reverting to pre win streak decision making style?

As somebody else  pointed out, this seems pretty much like a Drew Willy  game from last season. Even down to the Adams drop of a pass right to hiim. Adams puzzles me.

back to defence fights and plays well, and finally collapses cause O does next to nothing.

Bomber Home field still not a place other teams need to worry about.

Under willy when there was hope and the early season win streak we won coming from behind with big gaps in out put from both sides of the ball but especially offense. The same has continued with nichols, though last week it was a first half show up 2nd half disappearing act. When normally we seem to show up late 2nd quarter then the 3rd, disappear early in the 4th then roar late in the game. It may be that the player friendly coach mos needs to put boots to asses a bit more and get his guys to play the full game.  

Pretty much. What we saw with the drops and severe dip in performance after the challenge PI was won we had a broken team. And it never managed to pull it self back together. Execution was brutal at that point. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is such a great description of how I was last night and, to a degree, still am this morning. I'm still at a point in my life where a Bombers loss puts me in a "salty" mood the whole week till next game. 

Well it's good to hear I have company.  My wife left the house last night because of what she calls my juvenile behaviour of swearing and yelling at the TV.   She's still a little pissed at me this morning but I'm sure it wont last too much longer. 

22 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Well it's good to hear I have company.  My wife left the house last night because of what she calls my juvenile behaviour of swearing and yelling at the TV.   She's still a little pissed at me this morning but I'm sure it wont last too much longer. 

hahaha. must have been pretty bad. wish I had been there to join in. :lol:

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

Only until the next full moon.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Well at least now you know how to get rid of the wife for a few hours

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

yeah if they played a whole game like they did that first half we could beat any one. They have to figure out how to get a full game out of this team. Not the first and 2nd quarter. Not the 2nd and 3rd. etc

Isn't this a coaching issue? DD  found a way to reinvigorate his troops, our guy didn't. 

1 hour ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Isn't this a coaching issue? DD  found a way to reinvigorate his troops, our guy didn't. 

Thats part of it. As much as any thing DD and the stamps made adjustments and executed. They have an atmosphere of competition. You can lose youre job there, even if you are beloved if you dont produce. Here, if you have bad games or arent productive you can last a long time if you are one of the boys.

According to mos, players allways bring it and on every play. But that simply isnt true. Even good and great players (elfrid payton for instance) need pushing, or they will coast and surge. And if you let that become the norm, when the team loses momentum you get a ton of coasting. 

Back in the day you used to see Long time regimes end and go to the other school of coaching. A players coach (like mos) would be replaced by a hard ass authoritarian. And vice versa. Teams become to frat like, too long in the tooth with old boys clubs etc, and need a shake up. And if you start to struggle after years with a real hard nosed coach who isnt a players coach easing off that pressure with a new coach can work wonders in the short term. The terrible penalties, lack of production for extender periods of time, and some guys who have seen sharp dips in production (westerman) can all be shaken up with some tough love, benchings, and more intense practices . Will mos do that? very doubt full. At this point in time, and given how hard it is to maintain a long term championship contending organization under the same regime you see a lot more in the middle coaching styles. So the coach can turn it up or ease off as needed. Because if you are that nice players coach, you wont be taken seriously if you come in one day 100% hard ass. Or if you are a hard ass and ease up the players will still be distrustful.  

2 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

How? Certain players struggled. Just so happens one was the guy who touches the ball on O every play. CFL is a QB driven league... Ours had a tough night... You turn the ball over 5 times and you wont win much. Its not coaching.. Its just mental issues with some players. Nichols was oveethrowing guys all game long... If anything maybe should have put Davis in.. As Nichols is now 0 for 7 vs the Stamps. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

How? Certain players struggled. Just so happens one was the guy who touches the ball on O every play. CFL is a QB driven league... Ours had a tough night... You turn the ball over 5 times and you wont win much. Its not coaching.. Its just mental issues with some players. Nichols was oveethrowing guys all game long... If anything maybe should have put Davis in.. As Nichols is now 0 for 7 vs the Stamps. 

You can certainly make a strong case for as goes the qb so goes the team in that game. nichols was good first half, blm not at all. Bombers won 1st half. 2nd half opposite. That said, nichols was really streaky in that first half. And blm was really not good and we only had a 1 pt lead.

We thoroughly out played calgary in the first half but had a small lead for it. It was a lot of execution issues all over, and this team playing on emotion too much and not enough on effort. 

53 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You can certainly make a strong case for as goes the qb so goes the team in that game. nichols was good first half, blm not at all. Bombers won 1st half. 2nd half opposite. That said, nichols was really streaky in that first half. And blm was really not good and we only had a 1 pt lead.

We thoroughly out played calgary in the first half but had a small lead for it. It was a lot of execution issues all over, and this team playing on emotion too much and not enough on effort. 

Speculating, but one reason for Nichols poor performance may come from the added pressure he puts on himself to beat BLM, pushing him to try to do too much.  Coming from the same college and having a lot of the same connections and friends it might eat him up that BLM has surpassed his accomplishments at E. Wash. and as a pro.  Nichols came into this season expecting to prove himself so this game was a huge test for him.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Speculating, but one reason for Nichols poor performance may come from the added pressure he puts on himself to beat BLM, pushing him to try to do too much.  Coming from the same college and having a lot of the same connections and friends it might eat him up that BLM has surpassed his accomplishments at E. Wash. and as a pro.  Nichols came into this season expecting to prove himself so this game was a huge test for him.

could well be. Could say the same about edm. That a side i dont think a pro starting qb is that mentally weak to be negatively impacted. Motivated for sure. But when the bullets are flying and you are playing it all simplifies. I dont think there much of a chance hes in the red zone goin, i wanna stick it to BLM qbing the other team on the side lines right now. After a td he might have a lil smirk like yeaaaaah. But in the heat of action i think even at a high amateur level that the mind set to compete over whelms less thoughts and focuses in. 

35 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Oh gravy, in that case, he failed miserably.

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

Remember when we were 1-4 to start the season and we ended up 11-7 last season? Trust the process. There's a lot of room to improve but it's a long season and were not that far away. 

Not that far away? Maybe, but so far there are a lot of concerns about the offence, the defence and the coaching. Its not one thing, its several things for two consecutive games now.

On 2017-07-08 at 4:56 PM, Goalie said:

Well, while I certainly can't – and don't want to – argue against your point that Nichols had a bad game, I'm not sure how you can so definitively conclude that coaching had nothing to do with the outcome…  you say "how so?" I would argue that the best coaches demonstrate their competence  and earn their keep in halftime adjustments. And while I can't break down the specifics of the superiority of their halftime adjustments ( I don't pretend to know enough about pro football to do that),  it seems to me that the results speak for themselves.  To whit, it wasn't just BLM that was better than Nichols in the second half. Their offence dramatically improved and had all kinds of success against our defense  compared to the first half. Meanwhile, our offence dramatically deteriorated or I suppose you could also say that their defence immeasurably improved against our offense.   We looked scrambly and ineffective, with a lot of short to medium routes that – by evidence of Nichols happy feet – we're not open  whereas they look smooth and found lots of openings in the short, medium, and long arrange areas. This, to me, suggests that their coaching staff did a better job of evaluating what we were doing and re-scheming what they were doing than our coaching staff did.   I mean, clearly their players executed better than our players that…  but again I just know know how you can seriously contend that this has nothing to do with coaching; the results were quite sweeping across the board.