CFL Draft

Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

CFL Draft (Final)

1. Wpg - Gray -  Judge - Toss up between Judge and Bladek...  I like the Bladek pick better but Judge sounds like Osh 2.0
  2. Sask - Bladek - Sask needs OL, plain and simple.  Woods is a project.
  3. BC - Vandevoort - Wally pick Vandevoort both for need and to be a ****.
  4. Ham - Spooner - Spooner could step in, Ham needs to shore up OL
  5. Esks - Ankou - Colling - If Hervey was still there, I'd leave this at Ankou... but Sunderland will want instant impact
  6. Wpg - Behar - Behar can step in immediately on ST, maybe starting REC by Labour Day.
  7. BC - Colling - EkakitieBuono gets a potentially game ready DL
  8. Cal - Mulumba - Cal builds depth behind Singleton
  9. Ott - Ekakitie - Luke - Ott loves DL
  10. Tor - Woods - Want to say Popp goes completely off the board - like Gosselin or something - but he still loves Cdn tackles
  11. Sask - Luke - Herdman - Jones shores up MLB
  12. Mtl - Augustine - Kavis Reed reaches a bit
  13. Ham - Woodson - Ham keeps building Cdn DB depth.
  14. Esks - Picton - Wright - Sunderland makes another safe pick.
  15. Wpg - Herdman - Ankou - Walters takes a futures pick 
  16. BC - Wright - JS Roy - Buono build his OL
  17. Cal - Senior - Auclair - Huf gets an intern to pick BPA.
  18. Ott - JS Roy Gosselin - Another Frenchie for Ottawa

I think the top portion of that is the right guys. Assuming judge doesnt sign in the next couple days. Atleast 1 team will go off the board, and 1 team will gamble on an nfl guy. Imop the difference between the guys under 5 on that list or so are a tier and a half minimum below the nfl guys. Ie if i had a choice between mulumba and a gamble on ankou or gray id gamble. 

Also if we came out of it with judge and colling or behar id be beyond thrilled.  Of those guys i think herdman or luke have the best chance to slide well down the draft. 

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I heard, someone adviced him to contact this "guy" who did not lost sleep and did not experienced headaches in CFL draft on his 10+ year experience as a GM. He reached out to this guy and the advice was "Trade the pick." 

Apparently this guy's initial is "BT".

This BT guy was in the Sun the other day with Friesen trying to find him a job... it was pretty sad

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think the top portion of that is the right guys. Assuming judge doesnt sign in the next couple days. Atleast 1 team will go off the board, and 1 team will gamble on an nfl guy. Imop the difference between the guys under 5 on that list or so are a tier and a half minimum below the nfl guys. Ie if i had a choice between mulumba and a gamble on ankou or gray id gamble. 

Also if we came out of it with judge and colling or behar id be beyond thrilled.  Of those guys i think herdman or luke have the best chance to slide well down the draft. 

Unless something's really wonky - I think Bombers will end up with two of: Bladek/Spooner, Judge/Mulumba, Colling, Vandevoort/Behar

I'm also not sold on a futures picks in the second round...  Walters might wait until 3rd... I'd also use the fifth round as a futures pick

Two guys that could be top 18 picks are Schram and McGough - but I just think they kind of get lost in the shuffle a la Rupert Butcher/Dillon Guy

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Happy for those 3 guys as they get to pursue NFL options but man it sucks for us & the CFL.

If it wasnt for the positive exposure we get from guys going south we wouldnt see near the same serge in talent in the draft that we have the last few years. Not to mention the cahoon esq americans that come up more and more.  Time in NFL camps for young guys can be really good too. The amount of man hours they invest in positional training dwarfs what we do up here. Imagine these guys getting a camp and all having some one like bob wylie for their position, some of the most successful players in the world at that position, not to mention the athletic training, dietitians etc. The first days rookie stuff teams put players through to adjust to life as a pro athlete can be worth its weight in gold too.

The value of that experience is of course limited compared to actually getting a chance to play. Guys sitting around on PRs and waiting for deals for a couple years is awful.

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Unless something's really wonky - I think Bombers will end up with two of: Bladek/Spooner, Judge/Mulumba, Colling, Vandevoort/Behar

I'm also not sold on a futures picks in the second round...  Walters might wait until 3rd... I'd also use the fifth round as a futures pick

Two guys that could be top 18 picks are Schram and McGough - but I just think they kind of get lost in the shuffle a la Rupert Butcher/Dillon Guy

Pretty much. Im hoping for 2 of judge, colling, vandevoort, and behar. But OL depth is allways good.    

Winnipeg has 4 picks in the top 23, but only 5 in the top 50.

Walters, and his staff, have made it their goal to focus on the top 23 prospects. 

In a weird kind of way, the selection of these players should make it somewhat easier on their focus. That and the fact that they've done a lot of homework on the remaining choices. What remains is any further reach outs from the NFL, and the interviews that the Bombers have already, and might still conduct.

We're going to get at least a couple of good players, and the depth build up continues...

Gray will be an afterthought now in the draft...Looks like another Mulumba or Bilukudi pick that may never show up here...Definitely not a high priority and it would be a wasted top pick due to his availability...Take a chance on him in the latter rounds if he's still there...I kind of like Danny Vandervoort for our first pics...Depending on how much priority Walters is putting on receiver then he 'could' go at one or six...IF O line is viewed as our most need...then Bladek fills the bill

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Might be worth it to bring Judge in for a workout and a closer look since he flew in under the radar and missed the CFL Combine.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:11 PM, Goalie said:

I actually feel we are almost at the point where we can go BP at 1... whether that guy gets an NFL shot doesn't really bother me or weigh in on my decision making.  If I was picking 1st overall I'd take Geoff Gray OG Manitoba.  I think it's kind of a no brainer actually.  

Take Gray... regardless of what happens with him... NFL whatever.... he's the guy I take. 

With our 2nd first Rd pick I'd take a guy who I know will be at camp this year. 

I realize you made this comment before Gray signed with Green Bay... but I'm wondering if your opinion is still that same knowing he wouldn't be here for, at least, 3 years... maybe never...

Green Bay is known for developing their UDFAs.... Gray is known as a guy who is willing to put in the work... seems like a match made in heaven from both sides...

7 hours ago, bearpants said:

I realize you made this comment before Gray signed with Green Bay... but I'm wondering if your opinion is still that same knowing he wouldn't be here for, at least, 3 years... maybe never...

Green Bay is known for developing their UDFAs.... Gray is known as a guy who is willing to put in the work... seems like a match made in heaven from both sides...

sadly, I don't think we see Gray in the CFL in the forseeable future, If ever.  hes got some very good skills and if he plays his cards right, will be an NFL PR guy for a good long while if not activated at some point..

I'd not burn a pick in the first 4 rounds on him imo.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

sadly, I don't think we see Gray in the CFL in the forseeable future, If ever.  hes got some very good skills and if he plays his cards right, will be an NFL PR guy for a good long while if not activated at some point..

I'd not burn a pick in the first 4 rounds on him imo.

same, his size and athleticism should keep him kicking around in the nfl for a long while. 

I havent seen it mentioned (maybe i missed it) But an interesting db with winnipeg roots was added. Would be a nice depth pick to back up and play teams. 

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/11/intriguing-canadian-defensive-back-abubakkar-conteh-added-to-2017-cfl-draft/

Also according to 3downnation kwaku boateng, a kicker, and jordan herdman, all have accepted mini camp invites with nfl teams. 

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/30/last-night-nfl-moves-shake-cfl-draft/

He gives some really interesting stats on priority / none priority FAs trickle down rate.