Canadian Politics

36 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought it was pretty silly of Trudeau to say peoplekind instead of humankind to correct someone- but honestly, I just don't care about **** like this anymore. It's hard to take umbrage with these kind of things when you have Trump 24/7.  I don't like this new norm- I want to be outraged at stupid gaffes made by politicians. I miss the days when I could make fun of Mulcair's creepy campaigning smile or Dear Leader's Barbaric practices hotline... That seems so, small now. 

4 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I thought it was pretty silly of Trudeau to say peoplekind instead of humankind to correct someone- but honestly, I just don't care about **** like this anymore. It's hard to take umbrage with these kind of things when you have Trump 24/7.  I don't like this new norm- I want to be outraged at stupid gaffes made by politicians. I miss the days when I could make fun of Mulcair's creepy campaigning smile or Dear Leader's Barbaric practices hotline... That seems so, small now. 

I dont take it as just a gaffe.  Sure, it shows JT isnt the brightest bulb out there.  But he interrupted a woman asking a question to essentially say "hey, Im way more of a feminist than you.  Ill even make up words to erase "man" from my vocabulary".  Its silly.  No one says "peoplekind".  No one ever will.  Its not collusion with a foreign power or anything, but it is a sad commentary on the sickeningly left wing Prime Minister.

http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/key-accusation-against-patrick-brown-false-ctv-now-admits

So unless Im missing something, the issue here is that Brown went out drinking with a consenting adult and tried to get laid?  Burn him at the stake.

Its a good lesson for journalists that they HAVE to check dates and facts.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Lives and careers being destroyed.  Who needs a court when you can just #Believethevictim?

Dont make the mistake of thinking this is a condemnation of the #metoo movement.  Of course victims should be believed.  There is a big difference between the court of public opinion and the court of law. 

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Right and the court of public opinion just cost this man his political career.

Which has little to do with legitimate victims coming forward.  To want all women silenced because a vast minority of incidents are untrue doesnt make sense.  There is also a second allegation against him.  And as a public figure he is prone to have his conduct judged whether its legal or illegal.  He can run in the next election.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Which has little to do with legitimate victims coming forward.  To want all women silenced because a vast minority of incidents are untrue doesnt make sense.  There is also a second allegation against him.  And as a public figure he is prone to have his conduct judged whether its legal or illegal.  He can run in the next election.

Actually the PCs have told him he is not welcome to run in the next election.

I don't want all women silenced but don't you think it's a little crazy that an accusation with no proof can ruin someone's life?

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Actually the PCs have told him he is not welcome to run in the next election.

I don't want all women silenced but don't you think it's a little crazy that an accusation with no proof can ruin someone's life?

The PC's dont get to decide whether a person runs. He just cant run for the PC's.  And that's their decision. 

I think it's really awful when someone makes an untrue allegation.  And they should be prosecuted for doing so and subject to civil penalty.  Brown can sue her and CTV news as well.  Had she made the complaint to police, she'd likely be subject to charges for false complaint.  Her position is likely that she got the dates wrong.  However, that's somewhat dubious.  If Im Brown and the PC's, Id be considering enlisting the RCMP as to whether there was any political influence in the woman coming forward with the story.

If he took her out drinking and tried to get laid, even if he was creepy about it, it doesnt make him a crook.  But he would still stand to be judged on his actions.  Unfortunately, in Canada, he'd be judged harshly.

My position on women (and men) coming forward is that the instances of false allegation are extremely low, thats just a fact.  I read a story (ill try to find it) that busted the myth that men are ruined and that, in fact, the accused generally suffer very little.  Of course, high profile cases can be different, especially in politics where parties, voters etc will err on the side of running from anyone remotely tainted.  And that sucks.  But if this was a great way to ruin someone, it would happen all the time.  It doesnt.

What does happen is, the victims are routinely re-victimized by coming forward as a result of their treatment.  Even in the Roman Polanski case, the victim wants to put it all behind her and thats a case where the accused should absolutely be punished.

In the justice system, there are examples of innocent people put in jail.  Those are awful.  But no one insists that all crimes are forgiven, no one suggests we dont prosecute anyone for fear of convicting an innocent person.  Because the vast majority of cases, the justice system works. 

Keep in mind that there is a current hyper-sensitivity to these kinds of allegations due to the metoo movement.  And its a direct result of victims being shamed, disbelieved, silenced or re-victimized.  Its a reckoning of sorts for years and years and years of pissing on victims and protecting abusers.

There will never be a perfect system whereby we judge people (either in public opinion or court of law).  You err on the side of the greater sense of right.  Should Rob Porter still be Staff Secretary?   We are all judged everyday by our words, deeds, actions...our character and morality.  We dont go to court to prove or disprove everything about ourselves.  This is our world. 

And in the vast majority of cases these are not false allegations.  I'd take a "trust but verify" approach.  Thats my feeling.  As strong as I am on the side of women and victims.  But you do have to believe.  It doesnt mean you dont verify or listen to your intuition when something smells wrong. 

If it was CTV that broke the story that Brown committed illegal acts with a minor and it was untrue, he should sue the heck out of them.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yeah but only after each individual eligible voter has carefully weighed the issues and cast their vote accordingly.

no, a lot of times it starts at the party level. 

Really nothing the guy has done is criminal, but he still looks like a creep, and is a creep really the face you want to have going into a general election? The party was well within their rights to tell the guy to step down because it hurt their chances of winning an election. 

There is a difference between guilt and innocence, but for public servants like politicians the appearances do matter like it or not. 

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

no, a lot of times it starts at the party level. 

Really nothing the guy has done is criminal, but he still looks like a creep, and is a creep really the face you want to have going into a general election? The party was well within their rights to tell the guy to step down because it hurt their chances of winning an election. 

There is a difference between guilt and innocence, but for public servants like politicians the appearances do matter like it or not. 

Exactly, so if you want to derail your opponent, just pay some woman to level a false accusation and it's game over.