US Politics

Rich

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There's a lot of craziness on both sides. The Berkeley rioters should be incarcerated. There's also a magazine that depicts a target on Trumps head with the headline "why not?"  

The divide grows. 

yes that Berkeley stuff wasn't cool, and I don't care what you think of Milo, that kind of reaction is never justified.  Those people weren't protesters, they were anarchists.  Same group that torched a Muslim immigrant's limo at the Inauguration and cost him $70,000.  Violence is not the way.

On 30/01/2017 at 7:57 PM, tracker said:

In the U.S. Holocaust Museum

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/04/opinions/donald-trumps-most-bone-chilling-tweet-obeidallah-opinion/index.html

Trump's concerted attacks to delegitimize our media, our intelligence community and now our federal judiciary would have no doubt alarmed them. And it should be terrifying to every American who truly believes in our Constitution and in the promise of America.

America is now in a truly dark place, but did not get there overnight. Racism has been a part of the creation of America and a continuing theme over the generations, never really gone. About a hundred years ago, the "Sleeping Prophet" Edgar Cayce predicted that America would likely come to a second civil war, based on race and economic inequality with geological upheavals following.

Edited by tracker

Better than Dilbert

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/everyone-has-a-right-to-free-speech-even-milo/515565/

Milo Yiannopoulos Tested Progressives—and They Failed

Conservative students have the right to bring obnoxious bigots to speak on campus and other students have a right to protest. But controversial speakers should be allowed to speak.

Among the many terrifying questions that Donald Trump’s presidency poses is this: How do you oppose an indecent leader while still behaving decently yourself?

When it comes to the habits of deference extended to previous presidents, I’m fine with breaking the rules. If Democrats want to oppose all of Trump’s nominees on the basis that he himself is dangerous and illegitimate, that strikes me as fine. If performers who have traditionally performed at governmental functions want to boycott his, I’m fine with that, too. Trump practices demagoguery, bigotry, and cruelty. He does not deserve the deference granted a normal president.

But when Trump’s opponents use the danger he and his supporters pose to restrict basic freedoms, there’s a problem. Which is what happened earlier this week at the University of California, Berkeley, when a violent protest prevented Milo Yiannopoulos, a Breitbart News writer who has made his name by viciously mocking women, trans people, and African Americans, from speaking on campus.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Robert Reich Has a Chilling Theory About Those Berkeley Protesters

"I saw these people. They all looked almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus."
February 3, 2017
  •  
18.5K390

robert_reich_berkeley.jpg

Photo Credit: CNN/YouTube

In the wake of a University of California Berkeley protest that saw demonstrators burn campus lights and a sign for Breitbart News editor Milo Yiannopoulos in effigy, Donald Trump has threatened to cut federal funding from public colleges infringing on free speech. 

If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS?

But at least one Berkeley professor believes the so-called alt-right may have instigated the violence. 

"I was there for part of last night and I know what I saw. Those people were not Berkeley students," former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich told CNN's Don Lemon, reiterating the statement issued by the university regarding the incident. "Those people were outsiders, agitators. I’ve never seen them before. There’s rumors that they actually were right-wingers. They were a part of a group that were organized and ready to create the kind of tumult and danger you saw that forced the police to cancel the event."

Turning to Trump's remarks, Reich highlighted Berkeley's history as the "home of free speech."

"Donald Trump, when he says Berkeley doesn’t respect free speech rights, that’s a complete distortion of the truth. I mean, Berkeley opened its biggest auditorium to this right-wing Breitbart News character, this hateful, odious person. They said, ‘Free speech is the most important thing we stand for,’ and it was these outsiders who caused the police to finally come in and have to cancel it," Reich pointed out. 

“You think it’s a strategy by Yiannopoulos, or right-wingers?" asked Lemon. "They put this on in an effort to show there’s no free speech on a college campus like UC Berkeley?”

“I wouldn’t bet against it, Don," Reich told him. "Again, I saw these people. They all looked almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus. And I’ve heard — again, I don’t want to say factually, but I’ve heard there was some relationship here between these people and the right wing and the right-wing movement that is affiliated with Breitbart News."

11 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Better than Dilbert

I wouldn't say that it was better than Scott Adams, just a different view.  And I don't think they were very fair to Milo either.  They are describing him through their personal prism/PC prism.  I don't necessarily agree with what he says, but the fact that he is gay really adds a twist.  The "progressive" Left really don't know what to do with him as they can't really label him.  He's not a white supremacist, even though he gets called that a lot.  What I didn't like was how UC Berkeley seemed happy that the event was canceled, and the violence was cheered on by a lot of people who seemed extremely hypocritical in their views, as they support free speech apparently, as long as its speech that they agree with.

Those who attend his appearances, he said, include people who “don’t necessarily agree with me but just want to hear the other side. They were prevented from doing so this evening by violence from the left — the left that is terrified of anyone who they think might be persuasive or might be interesting or might take people with them.”

But UC Berkeley sophomore Jonathan Gow, 19, rejected Yiannopoulos’ insistence that free speech took a hit.

“The whole reason we’re here is for free speech,” Gow said. “Milo’s hate speech is not allowed here. When it’s hate speech, our free speech is to shut him down.”

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Protesters-storm-Milo-Yiannopoulos-event-at-UC-10901829.php#photo-12296704

The thing is, if they just ignored him, Milo would probably fade away.  The whole reason he is popular and receives so much attention is the hate and vitriol directed his way, and now the violent attacks by anti-Milo anarchists at his events are just adding to his popularity.  He's going to get a lot more famous before he goes away, the way things are going.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 2/4/2017 at 8:41 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

There's a lot of craziness on both sides. The Berkeley rioters should be incarcerated. There's also a magazine that depicts a target on Trumps head with the headline "why not?"  

The divide grows. 

Don't pass this kind of news on blindly, either verify it and post a link or don't post it.

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Don't pass this kind of news on blindly, either verify it and post a link or don't post it.

I am not going to post the image, but it was the village magazine that had the Trump in cross-hair pics. If you need to verify- google is your friend.

Now I wait for the Milo HateSpeechWarriors to come defend the Village Mag's right to free-speech and denounce the backlash it is causing.

Aaaand just for fun:

C322vA5WMAMR6r5.jpg

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Now I wait for the Milo HateSpeechWarriors to come defend the Village Mag's right to free-speech and denounce the backlash it is causing.

I am not sure how Milo's speeches are comparable to someone posting images of the President in a target, but I for one don't really care. If that's how someone wants to express their hate, go for it.

Yup, those Executive orders are thoroughly vetted to weed out any possible issues... Fucking amateur clown hour...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/06/news/companies/trump-faa-air-safety/index.html

President Donald Trump's executive directive to restrict or postpone new government regulations for 60 days has hampered the ability of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue safety orders about aircraft.

The instructions, known as "airworthiness directives," are issued frequently, and formalize mandated inspections or modifications to correct unsafe conditions on U.S. aircraft.

The stalled directives do not mean that airlines and aircraft operators are unaware of serious safety problems. The directives are typically the last step in the safety regulatory process. The aircraft operators first receive manufacturer bulletins about the problems, but in some instances wait for final FAA notices to act, according to two industry officials.