US Politics

Rich

The deep divisions that have defined American politics in the era of President Trump played out across the country in Tuesday’s midterm elections, as Democrats scored victories in key races in Republican-held suburban House districts but ran into a wall of opposition in red-state Senate contests.

All year long, Democrats talked optimistically about a blue wave that they believed was building around the country, one powerful enough to flip control of the House and even, against the odds, put the Senate in play as well. But a somewhat different reality began to set in early in the evening as the familiar contours of red and blue America powerfully reasserted themselves.

A change in the balance of power in the House would represent a pulling back from the president by key parts of the electorate, particularly by female voters. That alone could have a significant effect on the second half of Trump’s first term, particularly in Washington.

But the overall voting patterns in House, Senate and gubernatorial contests signaled that the differences and divisions that have defined the country during Trump’s presidency remain and seemingly are growing stronger. That sets the stage for a contentious and competitive presidential election two years from now, with the stakes now higher than ever.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/a-split-america-reasserts-its-divisions-in-the-midterm-elections/ar-BBPrO5T?ocid=spartanntp

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Sessions resigned at Trump's request. 

Mueller will be acting now, I guess. 

Matthew Whitaker is the acting AG now... Here is a sample of his views:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/06/opinions/rosenstein-should-curb-mueller-whittaker-opinion/index.html

I wonder why trump chose him.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/06/opinions/rosenstein-should-curb-mueller-whittaker-opinion/index.html

And, Rosenstein is no longer overseeing the Mueller investigation, by the sounds of things. 

Something just hit the fan. 

Edited by JCon

It was well known Trump was just waiting for mid-terms to be over to "fire" Sessions.  

The plan is likely to either fire or hamstring Mueller.  It will be interesting if Whitaker also recuses himself.  As Sessions Chief of Staff, I'd think he'd want to but Trump was steamed over the recusal and wants an AG he can control.  

The only reason Rod Rosenstein handles the Mueller case is because Sessions recused himself.  If the new AG has no conflict, he'd be in charge.  

Will also be interesting to see if Rod is fired or resigns.  And what fail safes Mueller has in place in the event of his dismissal.

Knowing the House is gunning for him Trump may simply look to his new AG to "control" Mueller and demand it wrap up.  On the other hand, he might figure if the Dems are coming for him, to fire Meuller now.  Dems dont take over til January.

4 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I meant acting as in doing something, not acting AG. That would a whole lot of weird. 

Mueller kept quiet during the election out of loyalty to DOJ policy.  So we can assume there were plenty of things going on behind closed doors.  There are rumors Don Jr has either been indicted or will soon be.

Trump could order Whitaker to fire Meuller right now.  That would set up a constitutional crises.  But the Dems cant act until January.  So I wonder...would Trump order the DOJ to fire Mueller now and go about destroying his files to make it difficult for the House in January?

Hopefully Mueller has sealed indictments for everyone warranted.  Referring whatever he can to the Southern District would help to since its out of Trump's reach,.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You and I are of the same mind.  I accept that people disagree but I find it very difficult to understand why someone would support an obvious idiot who is also criminal, racist, misogynistic, a serial harasser etc.  If none of those are a red line, then nothing is.  And that speaks to the character of those people more than anything.

If being conservative means I have to accept & support Trump then that means I never vote again. There are a lot of good men & women in the United States who are principled conservatives & would never act the way he does. Hence, I'd be Independent.  I personally don't think Trump will run in 2020. I hope he's on his way out.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If being conservative means I have to accept & support Trump then that means I never vote again. There are a lot of good men & women in the United States who are principled conservatives & would never act the way he does. Hence, I'd be Independent.  I personally don't think Trump will run in 2020. I hope he's on his way out.

It's ridiculous. Conservatism is dead in the US (right now). You either vote with the racist papaya or vote against him, likely a non-conservative. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's ridiculous. Conservatism is dead in the US (right now). You either vote with the racist papaya or vote against him, likely a non-conservative. 

When, back in the day..... "Compassionate Conservatism" didn't get any traction......the Republicans over time, have just completely gone in the other direction...... with this current bigoted, xenophobic, dog whistling, nationalism.   Trump attracts alt-right types like flies - and the people in the GOP, who should know better.....have turned themselves into simply lapdogs, spear carriers, and lackeys for someone (Trump) who is indifferent to them, when not actually holding them in contempt.