US Politics

Rich

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

this is a sound argument, but what I would like to point out is that while Obama was in power the Democrats lost hundreds of seats and control of the House and Senate, as well as many governors, and I never heard anyone talk about Obama's "report card".  Is this a "report card" or just a natural voting rhythm that happens every time there is a Democrat or Republican president?  The same thing happens in Canada - when we have a Liberal like we do now, a lot of provinces go Conservative.

Yes, this is a very common phenomenon. 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

What happened to wanting to bridge the divide? Surely this kind of ad hominem attack doesn't help.

LOL - yes pointing out that the Democrats aren't very smart is an "ad hominem attack".  Good grief.  At least I'm not wishing death upon Democrat senators like certain posters here were doing with Republicans.  That's a "divide", when you want the other side to just die.  

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

this is a sound argument, but what I would like to point out is that while Obama was in power the Democrats lost hundreds of seats and control of the House and Senate, as well as many governors, and I never heard anyone talk about Obama's "report card".  Is this a "report card" or just a natural voting rhythm that happens every time there is a Democrat or Republican president?  The same thing happens in Canada - when we have a Liberal like we do now, a lot of provinces go Conservative.

Thats false.  The mid-terms are always considered a referendum on the President.  Heard it repeatedly about Obama and Clinton.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

LOL - yes pointing out that the Democrats aren't very smart is an "ad hominem attack".  Good grief.  At least I'm not wishing death upon Democrat senators like certain posters here were doing with Republicans.  That's a "divide", when you want the other side to just die.  

To be fair, when you support Trump its hard to take seriously any criticism of anyone, Dem or otherwise.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

then I guess Obama was one of the worst presidents in history, by that metric.

Well you wouldnt say that about a GOP President.  But sure, a first time President lacking in experience is always going to be viewed with scrutiny with a bad mid-term.   His place on the "best" or "worst" list wouldn't be judged by one mid term.  Thats just absurd.

Let's not contort ourselves into pretzels trying to minimize the loss of the House on Trump.

9 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

then I guess Obama was one of the worst presidents in history, by that metric.

Um, no. It's a very common thing. 

Of course, Trump has a booming economy and low unemployment, thanks to Obama, and was STILL thumped yesterday. 

Edited by JCon

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The main thing they should do is get something useful done.

For instance, rebuild highways bridges, and so on, that Obama and Trump both said they would do, and did not do. 

The challenge for Democrats is that they can propose the best programs, initiatives etc in the House, but if/when passed, Trump will try to take all the credit for them.  Seriously, they could put Single-payer health care on the table and Trump (knowing that this would be a BIG legacy) would humiliate the senate into approving it and take all the credit for something he couldn't begin to develop on his own.

It would guarantee him re-election in 2020.

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The main thing they should do is get something useful done.

For instance, rebuild highways bridges, and so on, that Obama and Trump both said they would do, and did not do. 

100% agree.  Is Flint's poisonous water fixed yet?  If not, why not?  That's a national disgrace.

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, I know.  It was tongue in cheek.  I am in agreement with you, and that TUP is wrong here.

You came here to do your usual thing where you distract and downplay out of some weird sense of emotional fealty to Trump.  Both Obama & Clinton had losses in their first mid-terms which were considered referendums on the President.  It was certainly expressed that way by many.  Your whataboutism doesnt work here because how Obama did or what people thought is irrelevant to today.

Obama isnt President.  Why dont you talk about Trump?

5 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

KFB,  you still haven't elaborated on how Bernie Sanders is insane. I am interested in your thoughts on him.

He's here to post about everything other then the short-comings of Trump.  Imagine posting about Bernie Sanders the day after Trump loses the House and is open to congressional investigations.  

Look, the echo-chamber thing is reasonable but it doesnt change the fact that all these things said about Trump are true.  But being so emotionally vested in defending trump that you try and change the tone of a fan forum in Winnipeg is a bit much to me.   Just seems weird.  But to each their own.

Kamala Harris is probably insane too but she's tougher to paint with that brush from the alt right for obvious reasons, right? lol

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm a strong fiscal Conservative. In the US, I'd be a Republican. But if I was American, I'd destroy my GOP membership card & vote as an Independent such is how much I loathe that pathetic excuse of a human being occupying  the Presidency.  I think educated, young conservative Americans living in the suburbs rejected any good he has done because of his actions & words. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm a strong fiscal Conservative. In the US, I'd be a Republican. But if I was American, I'd destroy my GOP membership card & vote as an Independent such is how much I loathe that pathetic excuse of a human being occupying  the Presidency.  I think educated, young Americans living in the suburbs rejected any good he has done because of his actions & words. 

You and I are of the same mind.  I accept that people disagree but I find it very difficult to understand why someone would support an obvious idiot who is also criminal, racist, misogynistic, a serial harasser etc.  If none of those are a red line, then nothing is.  And that speaks to the character of those people more than anything.