US Politics

Rich

Pentagon leak pushed by pro-Russian network run by former Navy noncommissioned officer on US soil

The Wall Street Journal revealed that one of the people that helped promote and spread the leaked Pentagon documents was a former Navy noncommissioned officer on U.S. soil who developed a pro-Russia network on social media.

"A purported Russian blogger known as Donbass Devushka, which translates as Donbas Girl, is the face of a network of pro-Kremlin social-media, podcasting, merchandise and fundraising accounts. But the person who hosted podcasts as Donbass Devushka and oversees these accounts is a Washington-state-based former U.S. enlisted aviation electronics technician whose real name is Sarah Bils," the report revealed.

Bils, who is 37 years old, served at the naval air station on Whidbey Island until last year. All the while, she was promoting the Russian military and paramilitary Wagner Group, which WSJ described as "among the most widely followed English-language social-media outlets promoting Russia’s views."

She confessed to raising money for the podcast under the name when the paper reached out to her. She claimed, however, she's one of 15 people from around the world in the network.

It was early April when the Donbass Devushka Telegram account posted the leaked classified documents to 65,000 followers. Russian social media accounts then reposted the documents.

"I obviously know the gravity of top-secret classified materials. We didn’t leak them," she said.

Delaware Judge Delays Start Of Dominion’s Defamation Trial Against Fox News

NEW YORK (AP) — The Delaware judge overseeing a voting machine company’s $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News announced late Sunday that he was delaying the start of the trial until Tuesday. He did not cite a reason.

The trial, which has drawn international interest, had been scheduled to start Monday morning with jury selection and opening statements.

According to the Wall Street Journal, people familiar with the situation said Sunday that the conservative network had made a late push to settle the dispute out of court.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-dominion-trial-delayed_n_643c96aae4b0ac40918bdbd9

19 hours ago, Tracker said:

Delaware Judge Delays Start Of Dominion’s Defamation Trial Against Fox News

NEW YORK (AP) — The Delaware judge overseeing a voting machine company’s $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News announced late Sunday that he was delaying the start of the trial until Tuesday. He did not cite a reason.

The trial, which has drawn international interest, had been scheduled to start Monday morning with jury selection and opening statements.

According to the Wall Street Journal, people familiar with the situation said Sunday that the conservative network had made a late push to settle the dispute out of court.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-dominion-trial-delayed_n_643c96aae4b0ac40918bdbd9

Apparently Faux News requested a recess while they try to reach an out court settlement with Dominion. This would seem to be admission of culpability and a desire to reach a settlement for substantially less than 1.6 Billion and not have to live with a ruling that would damage whatever credibility they still have. The word of Faux employees under oath would reduce them to farce status.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Apparently Faux News requested a recess while they try to reach an out court settlement with Dominion. This would seem to be admission of culpability and a desire to reach a settlement for substantially less than 1.6 Billion and not have to live with a ruling that would damage whatever credibility they still have. The word of Faux employees under oath would reduce them to farce status.

It wouldn't matter to their viewers. As long as they continue to promote hate and anger, they'll have an audience. 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

it will be interesting to see what happens here, as typically when these kinds of high-level suits are settled, all parties will be NDA'd and no admission of fault will be given.  But in this case, Dominion is insisting on on-air retractions and admission of fault...

13 minutes ago, bustamente said:

The Republicans will now be wearing a new uniform when holding committee hearings and generally doing nothing for the American people

Clown Lives Matter' rally aims to show people clowns are not creepy -  syracuse.com

look at the bright side!  they can replace all of those expensive congressional buildings with a compact car...

Just now, JCon said:

It wouldn't matter to their viewers. As long as they continue to promote hate and anger, they'll have an audience. 

A court award anywhere close to the 1.6 billion would cripple Faux and there is another suit pending for multiple millions as well. A win for Dominion would set the precedent and pretty much guarantee a liability victory for the second plaintiffs.

I do not want to go anywhere in the United States.

"A woman in Hebron, Washington County ended up in the wrong driveway while searching for a friend’s house, and was shot to death, investigators said.

HEBRON, N.Y. -- A woman looking for a friend's house in upstate New York was shot to death after the car she was riding in mistakenly went to the wrong address and was met with gunfire in the driveway, authorities said Monday.

Kaylin Gillis, 20, was traveling through the rural town of Hebron with three other people Saturday night when the group made a wrong turn onto the property. 

They were trying to turn the car around when the homeowner, Kevin Monahan, 65, came out onto his porch and fired two shots, according to Washington County Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy.

One round hit Gillis."

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

"A woman in Hebron, Washington County ended up in the wrong driveway while searching for a friend’s house, and was shot to death, investigators said.

HEBRON, N.Y. -- A woman looking for a friend's house in upstate New York was shot to death after the car she was riding in mistakenly went to the wrong address and was met with gunfire in the driveway, authorities said Monday.

Kaylin Gillis, 20, was traveling through the rural town of Hebron with three other people Saturday night when the group made a wrong turn onto the property. 

They were trying to turn the car around when the homeowner, Kevin Monahan, 65, came out onto his porch and fired two shots, according to Washington County Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy.

One round hit Gillis."

Par for the course down there:

The errand that nearly cost Ralph Yarl his life was of the sort that falls to older brothers everywhere.

Ralph, a Black 16-year-old in Kansas City, Mo., had been sent to pick up his younger twin brothers at a friend’s house on Thursday evening, his family said. But he mixed up the address, finding himself in front of a house on Northeast 115 Street, instead of Northeast 115th Terrace.

The white man who answered the door there shot him in the head and again in the arm after he fell, according to prosecutors. Somehow, Ralph made his way, bleeding, to another nearby house. There, he was told to lie on the ground while someone called for help, his family said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/us/ralph-yarl-kansas-city-shooting.html

18 hours ago, Mark F said:

Kaylin Gillis, 20, was traveling through the rural town of Hebron with three other people Saturday night when the group made a wrong turn onto the property.  They were trying to turn the car around when the homeowner, Kevin Monahan, 65, came out onto his porch and fired two shots, according to Washington County Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy.

One round hit Gillis."

Agreed, and here is more proof:

Oklahoma paper releases audio of county leaders discussing plans to kill a reporter, lynch Black people

In Oklahoma, Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt is calling for the "immediate resignation" of four McCurtain County officials in response to a damning report by the McCurtain Gazette-News — which alleges that it has obtained an audio recording in which the officials, during a March 6 meeting, can be heard making racist remarks and calling for violence against Gazzette-News reporter Chris Willingham.

The officials Stitt mentioned by name are McCurtain County Sheriff Kevin Clardy, District 2 Commissioner Mark Jennings, Investigator Alicia Manning, and Jail Administrator Larry Hendrix.
In a statement on Sunday, April 16, Stitt said, "I am both appalled and disheartened to hear of the horrid comments made by officials in McCurtain County. There is simply no place for such hateful rhetoric in the state of Oklahoma, especially by those that serve to represent the community through their respective office. I will not stand idly by while this takes place."

According to the Gazzette-News, copies of the recording have been given to the FBI and the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office.

The Oklahoman's Josh Dulaney, in an article published on April 16, reports, "A portion of the audio recordings were released online over the weekend."

During the March 6 conversation, according to Dulaney, Manning is heard "saying she needed to take some packages to a shipping center near the newspaper’s office."

"(Manning) expressed concern about what could happen if Willingham walked out of the newspaper’s office, according to the (Gazzette-News)…. Willingham, that day, had filed a defamation lawsuit against the (McCurtain County) Sheriff’s Office, Manning and the Board of County Commissioners."

During the conversation, according to Dulaney, Manning allegedly told the other officials, "I ain’t worried about what he’s gonna do to me. I’m worried about what I might do to him. My papaw would have whipped his a**, would have wiped him and used him for toilet paper."

Jennings allegedly said, in response, "I know where two big, deep holes are here if you ever need them." And Clardy allegedly said, "I've got an excavator."

During the conversation, Jennings allegedly condoned lynching Blacks, saying, "Take them down to Mud Creek and hang them up with damned rope. But you can’t do that anymore. They've got more rights than we’ve got."

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

But, they're not fascists. Just normal people who want to kill journalists for um.. reporting news. Not just kill them but also discuss how to kill them and how to dispose of them.

Yea but everyone's bad that just minimized the severity of this.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I wonder if anything in the settlement will force Fox to say on air that their personalities lied on air, somehow I doubt it.

I'm sure there will be some public disclosure. Can't imagine Dominion worrying about their image and only taking money. 

Maybe Tucker will have to tell everyone of his fans, on air, what he actually thinks of them?