Willy & Nichols Salaries Broke Down

iso_55

Thought I'd post this as it came in my email as I( subscribe to 3 Down Nation. According to Justin Dunk the Bombers aren't paying Drew Willy $410,000 to carry a clipboard on the sidelines. If things remain the same & he doesn't start another game Willy will be paid $285,000 which includes salary, bonus & housing.

As far as Matt Nichols, if he plays the rest of the season as a starter he'll be paid $321,000 which includes salary, bonuses & housing. However, at the qb position we'll have paid out the most money of any CFL team at a bit over $600,000 for both guys. Here's the link:

http://3downnation.com/2016/09/02/numbers-matt-nichols-drew-willy-contract-details/http://3downnation.com/2016/09/02/numbers-matt-nichols-drew-willy-contract-details/

Edited by iso_55

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What is going on with everyone starting threads for topics already being discussed? So strange.  At any rate, we've been talking about this since early this morning in another thread......

Because the CFL thread is obscure. Why should we go there first to see if the same story is posted? Besides, if someone wants to discuss one story alone & single it out, who cares? Sorry I didn't get permission to post this here from you first. ;)

With all the discussion revolving around the Drew and Matt show, somehow Walters has managed to sneak in this under the SMS

ROSTER                                   02-Sep-16
WPG ADD  INT Stanley BRYANT (OL)    East Carolina – New Contract
WPG ADD  INT Justin MEDLOCK (K)    UCLA – New Contract

CFL Transactions

Edited by Mr Dee

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

With all the discussion revolving around the Drew and Matt show, somehow Walters has managed to sneak in this under the SMS

Re-signed? Didn't Medlock sign a new deal in February?

59 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL Transactions

Interesting... what does it mean??  Extension?  Renegotiation?  Would be funny if instead of renegotiating Willy's deal, they restructured our star left tackle and kicker.  Seems unlikely though.

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Most likely the restructured their contracts. Giving them their money next year not this year.

How do you go up to two of your best veteran players and ask them to restructure when everyone knows the issue is Willy making too much money?  I don't know about that one.  No no it's better not to speculate I think.

37 minutes ago, Atomic said:

How do you go up to two of your best veteran players and ask them to restructure when everyone knows the issue is Willy making too much money?  I don't know about that one.  No no it's better not to speculate I think.

Since my terrible explanations of salary cap management in the other thread don't be seem to be helping anyone, let me try again here. You convert base pay to a "signing bonus" for signing a new contract. Signing bonuses are prorated over the length of the contract, whereas base pay counts only to this year. So these guys took, say, a $10000 pay cut this year, but got a $15000 signing bonus for signing a new contract. So lets say it's a 2 year restructured contract, so the bonus counts as $7500 each year, effectively lowering the  players cap hit by $2500, while they get an extra $5000 today. I hope this helps. Again, this is works in the NFL, I have no idea if the CFL does this.

I'll just say this....

I really don't care how much the bombers are paying Willy and Nichols. Whatever really. Irrelevant to me. But I kind of find it interesting that dunk gets the scoop here over our local guys. Makes you wonder if our local guys knew about it but decided to try and create stories to sell papers or get clicks or they just didn't know about it at all. Odd. Normally I would assume that a guy like Lawless or Penton would know this but perhaps the bombers are growing tired of our local medias bs and are deciding to give the scoop to others. 

Strange for sure. 

25 minutes ago, yogi said:

Since my terrible explanations of salary cap management in the other thread don't be seem to be helping anyone, let me try again here. You convert base pay to a "signing bonus" for signing a new contract. Signing bonuses are prorated over the length of the contract, whereas base pay counts only to this year. So these guys took, say, a $10000 pay cut this year, but got a $15000 signing bonus for signing a new contract. So lets say it's a 2 year restructured contract, so the bonus counts as $7500 each year, effectively lowering the  players cap hit by $2500, while they get an extra $5000 today. I hope this helps. Again, this is works in the NFL, I have no idea if the CFL does this.

Yeah, maybe Bryant and Medlock were team players and helped out the team with a win-win scenario. 

For example, Bryant and Medlock could have restructured their deals and are taking 50 000 less in base salary for a 40 000 signing bonus that counts this year. 

Walters saves 20 000 total for this year's SMS and the players get a signing bonus which is taxed at 15% so they end up with more take home pay. 

12 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yeah, maybe Bryant and Medlock were team players and helped out the team with a win-win scenario. 

For example, Bryant and Medlock could have restructured their deals and are taking 50 000 less in base salary for a 40 000 signing bonus that counts this year. 

Walters saves 20 000 total for this year's SMS and the players get a signing bonus which is taxed at 15% so they end up with more take home pay. 

That is a little too Tamanesque for my liking.

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL Transactions

Where did u find this by the way? Useful info, the CFL site doesn't list new contract deals like this.