Depth

Nash00

So as much as we railed on Walters and co. for their poor US scouting and apparent lack of depth on the team during our poor start, based on the last few weeks we maybe have to revisit that idea. Here is the game 1 starting lineup and now the depth behind the starters (in some cases former starters):

QB: Willy/Nichols
HB: Harris
WR: Davis
WR: Dressler/K. Adams
SB: Smith/Denmark
SB: Davis
SB: D. Adams/Mayo
WR: Kohlert
LT: Bryant
LG: Hardrick/Bond
C: Goossen
RG: Chungh
RT: Neufeld/Hardrick
DE: Green/Cole
DE: Westerman/Corney
DT: Shologan
DT: Cummings
WIL: Bass/Wild
MLB: Wild/Bass/Knox
SAM: Leggett/Burnett
CB: J. Adams/Frederick
CB: Randle/Roberts
HB: Posey/Fogg
HB: B. Johnson
S: M. Harris/Loffler

I included guys like Knox and Burnett due to their work on teams, you could also add guys like Waggoner and D. Jones as well as they were Walters guys as well. Obviously it's only 2 games but based on the supposed issues we had with depth when we were 1-4 I think we need to acknowledge the fact that these depth guys have been integral to our success over the last 2 weeks.

Good recruiting and roster management has been obvious last few games. That 6 game injured list is scary long and some of the so-called replacements look like they belong. In fact many of them are playing at a higher level than the team-mates they are replacing. D backfield is a case in point. You've got Randle out and Johnny Adams has yet to play - who do you sit to make room for them? Or do you?

8 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Good recruiting and roster management has been obvious last few games. That 6 game injured list is scary long and some of the so-called replacements look like they belong. In fact many of them are playing at a higher level than the team-mates they are replacing. D backfield is a case in point. You've got Randle out and Johnny Adams has yet to play - who do you sit to make room for them? Or do you?

I think at this point you have to let Adams back in there, but only when he is 110% ready. No need to rush him at this point. Randle needs to go back in, he's our best player back there. It's just nice to know that if an injury occurs, we have the guys ready to step in and make plays. A bonus is when the offseason rolls around if we need to shed salary (or a guy like Adams heads to the NFL) we don't need to look to a washed-up FA to backfill.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

At this point, our secondary when entirely healthy has got to be ... Randle/Fogg/Loffler/Johnson/Adams with Frederick as the 6th (but I think they usually shove a Canadian in that spot, so maybe not)

But basically NFW does Macho get his spot back. Fogg is suddenly a stud now too.

Ditto on Fogg. I wasn't sold on him in Week1 but man is he a keeper. His return skills are an extra asset but his coverage has been excellent.

Jace Davis was considered the cream of the new WR crop this year... but I really like what we've seen from Mayo and Kris Adams (in limited action).... really loved that catch he made on the sidelines late in the game... it feels like so long since we've seen a receiver make a big catch to seal a game...

7 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Jace Davis was considered the cream of the new WR crop this year... but I really like what we've seen from Mayo and Kris Adams (in limited action).... really loved that catch he made on the sidelines late in the game... it feels like so long since we've seen a receiver make a big catch to seal a game...

He sure can go up and get it. Reminds me of Chris Matthews.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mayo should replace Davis when the little guys and Adams come back.

The one thing I will give Davis is he is good at the LOS when he comes in to block. I saw a couple instances where he was able to crack down on the edge and open it up but for whatever reason we don't feel inclined to throw the ball his way. The first few weeks he was making plays and I saw one play last night where if Nichols had a second longer in the pocket Davis was open on the post and it would have been 6. Worked out OK though, he hit Mayo underneath and then hit Mayo again for that beautiful TD throw.

Depth certainly doesn't appear to be our problem. Some of the new guys are better than the guys they replaced and it will become a good problem for management when the injured get healthy. Their sure were a lot of complaints about our scouting in the off season, which seem to be completely wrong.

Sometimes it takes reps for guys to get a feel for the system and for the coaches to put them in a position to succeed. Far too often we write off players after one or two games saying that they don't have it but these things take time. Every now and then you find a guy who is plug and play right away but more often a player needs a few weeks to get his feet wet and really get acclimated.

The problem with that is, and it was mentioned on TSN1290 yesterday, that it's better to learn and win at the same time as opposed to racking up L's as the guys get settled.

really loved that catch he made on the sidelines late in the game... it feels like so long since we've seen a receiver make a big catch to seal a game...

I have to give credit where credit is due. Props to P.Lop for going back to K. Adams after a couple of difficult non-catches by Adams. I think Adams should/could have had the 1st sideline catch, but we had to have proof that he could make those...and now we have it. Great to see.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

His movement looks extremely laboured.  I doubt his body holds up, mostly his lower body with that awful broken leg he's taken 3 years to come back from.

I hope it's just mental because we need a wr who can out jump the defender for the ball.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

At this point, our secondary when entirely healthy has got to be ... Randle/Fogg/Loffler/Johnson/Adams with Frederick as the 6th (but I think they usually shove a Canadian in that spot, so maybe not)

But basically NFW does Macho get his spot back. Fogg is suddenly a stud now too.

I'm a big fan of Loffler, but even if we do go back to an all import secondary(which I don't expect to see) I'd like to see us move Leggett to safety, Randle to SAM and keep Frederick at corner. I believe that lineup would be the best secondary we can assemble with our talent.

Macho should never play another down for this team.

5 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I hope it's just mental because we need a wr who can out jump the defender for the ball.

A couple of factors could play into that. First game in 3+ years and he did get banged up during the game. His injury history is concerning though but hopefully going forward they are just minor and he can continue to ball. Those jump balls could come in handy in situations like last night where he gets 1-on-1 against a smaller DB and it's just a case of going up the ladder.

4 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I'm a big fan of Loffler, but even if we do go back to an all import secondary(which I don't expect to see) I'd like to see us move Leggett to safety, Randle to SAM and keep Frederick at corner. I believe that lineup would be the best secondary we can assemble with our talent.

Macho should never play another down for this team.

Need Loffler for ratio purposes to keep three import OL though, which they better do.

4 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Does Mcduffie even get back on the roster? Fogg is a better returner than he is.

It wouldnt surprise if he will not. At this point I would rather have the Bombers carry another DB to give Fogg some rest after his run.

Although with the way Nicholls & co is playing Fogg will get his rest from the sidelines.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

It wouldnt surprise if he will not. At this point I would rather have the Bombers carry another DB to give Fogg some rest after his run.

McDuffie has been just fine back there. I would be cautious with using a full time DB as a returner on both punts and kickoffs. McDuffie also gives us an option on offense if we run into injuries there (unlikely I know)