The Joke that is the Winnipeg Blue Bomber franchise

IC Khari

9 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Yep, tired of losing is where we have been for a while with this franchise, if you include losing 5 Grey Cup games since the last win in 90 which hasn't helped. In reality, a non championship year is still a loss even if it's in the final. Too bad we couldn't have won in 01 or 07 or even 11 because it sure would have soothed a bit of the frustration and the mess of hurt feelings in this fanbase right now.

This.

Maybe not within this group, but I think the casual fan probably can't even list the years we went to the Cup; let alone how and why we lost them.

If this team had one of those GC wins, I def think the problems now would be less magnified.

That said, it is happening. And the fact it's all coincided with opening a brand new stadium... well that's just the definition of depressing. 

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'll be honest, I'm terrified of coming home for holidays next week and having the entire province in a funeral mood over the state of the Bombers. I much prefer coming home when everyone's excited and positive. Could be a tough week of only wearing Jets gear...

Actually, that might be a way of letting the Bomber brass know that they are are on notice. Maybe if the Bombers get reamed in Edmonton, the next home game, fans could show up in droves wearing Jets or Goldeyes gear. That might make the point that fans and their money have options.

Folks are mad that we're in a 26 year slump but, having won a GC back in '01 or '07 wouldn't have anything to do with this year or last or even the one before that. Folks are rightfully mad that we suck yet again after 'winning' free agency yet again and signing the most expensive OC in the league. We were told over and over in the off season that the reason we were so bad last year was because our starting QB went down early last year. Turns out that's yet another load of manure as we are replacing Willy this week with 2 wins out of 7 starts Nichols. Looks like a ton of other changes this week and we're most likely to be 1-5 at this time next week. If you think the calls for O'Shea's head are getting loud now, just wait for next week.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks are mad that we're in a 26 year slump but, having won a GC back in '01 or '07 wouldn't have anything to do with this year or last or even the one before that. Folks are rightfully mad that we suck yet again after 'winning' free agency yet again and signing the most expensive OC in the league. We were told over and over in the off season that the reason we were so bad last year was because our starting QB went down early last year. Turns out that's yet another load of manure as we are replacing Willy this week with 2 wins out of 7 starts Nichols. Looks like a ton of other changes this week and we're most likely to be 1-5 at this time next week. If you think the calls for O'Shea's head are getting loud now, just wait for next week.

I am not ready to write Nichols off just yet. He was given the helm of a rapidly sinking ship last year, so ought to get a mulligan for that.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

badum tss. Some good zingers in this post though. Words cant express how much better i feel about this team then the dark ages with reinbold. 

Reinbold was spectacularly bad and it was obvious to one and all that he would not last very long, but this travesty has gone on way too long and there is no telling how much more we have to endure or what the cure will be.

8 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

MOS is pretty close to Reinebold levels, imagine if we hadn't of had that 5 - 1 start to 2014? :blink:

I remember getting so caught up and excited about that 5-1 start. I thought Miller, Walters, O'Shea and Willy were the best thing to ever happen to the Bombers. Valuable lesson learned.

the 5-1 start was pretty awesome. I remember being really  up on Willy after not wanting him, and, some what impressed with MOS. The results were there. Since that 5-1 start it's been a debacle. Just a hot mess.

I think I mentioned before too about how winning 07 or 01 or 11 would have made a world of difference for this team and our fan bases morale. 01 was the least excusable. That was our Cup and a sub 500 team got hot at the right time, and, we didn't show up. That one hurts. The loss to BC was painful of course but not entirely unexpected. It's the loss the Riders that stings the most even now, and probably within the hard core fans still rings in our ears a bit. We were the better team for sure and a terrible fluke injury doomed us. Ugh. I can`t even bare to think about that game much more or I`ll get all pissed off.

What Mike said was bang on. As Bomber fans were not enjoying this team right now, were coping with it. Its a terrible way to be a sports fan.

Edited by White Out

14 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

MOS is pretty close to Reinebold levels, imagine if we hadn't of had that 5 - 1 start to 2014? :blink:

His win rate yeah not far off but this team despite him is drastically better then reinbolds. I might take any HC in the league over mos. And a good hand full of co's.

20 minutes ago, tracker said:

Reinbold was spectacularly bad and it was obvious to one and all that he would not last very long, but this travesty has gone on way too long and there is no telling how much more we have to endure or what the cure will be.

His team had prolly the least talent of any ive lived to see. He was soo out of his depth and wearing all the hats.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

His win rate yeah not far off but this team despite him is drastically better then reinbolds. I might take any HC in the league over mos. And a good hand full of co's.

His team had prolly the least talent of any ive lived to see. He was soo out of his depth and wearing all the hats.

Did Matt Dunigan not walk into the same situation in Calgary?

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks are mad that we're in a 26 year slump but, having won a GC back in '01 or '07 wouldn't have anything to do with this year or last or even the one before that.

I am not sure about that. A win in 07 likely would have prevented Mike Kelly from coming here and starting the downward spiral he did. He took a hatchet to the roster and gutted everything and was so causitc he was fired immediately and we got into another rebuild which was followed up by another rebuild. A win in 07 though the pressure in 08 is gone and Berry and Taman likely get more time before they start looking for the next guy and maybe the roster isn't gutted in one fell swoop. Team has been spinning it's tires every since They decided to can Berry and bring in Kelly. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks are mad that we're in a 26 year slump but, having won a GC back in '01 or '07 wouldn't have anything to do with this year or last or even the one before that.

Disagree. This year would prove to be nothing more than angst for recent times. The weight of missing out in previous years adds a burden each and every year. It builds. If we had won one of those, we might still be angry today, but we wouldn't be lost..without answers. 

We were told over and over in the off season that the reason we were so bad last year was because our starting QB went down early last year.

Are you sure it wasnt just the fans and media driving that thought process? By the way, didn't you somewhat agree with that sentiment?

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

Reinbold was the embodiment of the Peter Principle at play. A great defensive coach, but that's where his talent ended.

a great motivator too. A poor judge of talent and at most every thing else. Hes a great guy to have as a Cord under a tough vet coach to off set the heavy handiness. 

2 hours ago, White Out said:

the 5-1 start was pretty awesome. I remember being really  up on Willy after not wanting him, and, some what impressed with MOS. The results were there. Since that 5-1 start it's been a debacle. Just a hot mess.

I think I mentioned before too about how winning 07 or 01 or 11 would have made a world of difference for this team and our fan bases morale. 01 was the least excusable. That was our Cup and a sub 500 team got hot at the right time, and, we didn't show up. That one hurts. The loss to BC was painful of course but not entirely unexpected. It's the loss the Riders that stings the most even now, and probably within the hard core fans still rings in our ears a bit. We were the better team for sure and a terrible fluke injury doomed us. Ugh. I can`t even bare to think about that game much more or I`ll get all pissed off.

What Mike said was bang on. As Bomber fans were not enjoying this team right now, were coping with it. Its a terrible way to be a sports fan.

You guys weren't the only one - I too thought I was dead wrong on Willy after that start. Guess now the Bombers will see what Nichols has evolved into. AS an FYI - Esks have the worst defense in the CFL - only 'bright spot' was their game in Winnipeg. Esks have 5 sacks total this year, three against Wpg. Esks only gave up 16 points against Wpg. Ottawa scored 45 points (and won), Sask scored 36 (and lost), and we all saw what Hamilton did.

It would be a new low for Wpg to come in here, on a weeks rest, and not score 30 points against this team. I thought maybe the Esks defense was putting it back together but in retrospect Drew Willy has no business running any kind of offense in this or any other league. 36 games (or is it 37 now) without scoring 30 points in a scoring league. It really doesn't get any worse, it just doesn't, 'cept for Thursday if they lay another egg. 

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Are you sure it wasnt just the fans and media driving that thought process? By the way, didn't you somewhat agree with that sentiment?

Every time the Bombers talked in the off season they brought up the fact that Willy was injured and that we were in every game without him and no, I didn't and don't agree with it. There were way too many other problems last year to put it all on losing Willy.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I am not sure about that. A win in 07 likely would have prevented Mike Kelly from coming here and starting the downward spiral he did. He took a hatchet to the roster and gutted everything and was so causitc he was fired immediately and we got into another rebuild which was followed up by another rebuild. A win in 07 though the pressure in 08 is gone and Berry and Taman likely get more time before they start looking for the next guy and maybe the roster isn't gutted in one fell swoop. Team has been spinning it's tires every since They decided to can Berry and bring in Kelly. 

If a win in '07 mean no Mike Kelly, then it might still have some validity now, but folks would still be pissed that we look like we're not going to make th playoffs for the 3rd year in a row under the Miller/Walters/O'Shea regime.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yep, and brought in 90% of the turn around talent put in the system etc and got fired after 1 season. still pisses me off.

No. Dunigan recruited one player & that was Nik Lewis. Dunigan was a disaster as a HC. Trouble was, he was also the GM, Dir of Player Personnel, OC & QB coach.  All at the same time. After the 2004 season there was an ownership change & he was fired. I think the Stamps won 3 games in 2004.

It was Jim Barker who brought in some great players in 2005 when he was re-hired by the new ownership group. He also drafted well in the CIS draft year in & year out until he left for the Argos. I've lived in Calgary since 1990 & know exactly how things went down here with Matt. He had absolutely no coaching or managing experience when he was hired after the 2003 season & he was like a fish out of water. Talk to any Stamps fan who remembers those years & they won't have a lot of fond memories of Dunigan as a head coach here.

Edited by iso_55

Every time the Bombers talked in the off season they brought up the fact that Willy was injured and that we were in every game without him and no, I didn't and don't agree with it. There were way too many other problems last year to put it all on losing Willy.

You stated "over and over", but I don't remember that.

And, aside from the exaggerated "every time" from yourself and "every game" without him....what is there left?  Your view?