Let's remember some guys

Nash00

In the attempt to lighten things up a bit, I have lifted this idea from Deadspin but I always found those posts interesting. Let's remember some also-rans from years gone by. Here is my starter:

Rahpaol Ball
Wane McGarity
Inoke Breckterfield
Sefa O'Reilly
Geoff Drover

Ladaris Vann

Deonce Whitaker

Orlando Bobo

Tee Martin

Russ Michna

Ron Ockimey

Vinnie Sutherland

Kwame Cavil

Quentin McCord

Mike Quinn

Ron Warner

Andrae Thurman

O’Neil Wilson

Jerome Haywood

Cam Hall

Robert Bean

Chijoke Onyenegecha

Greg Bearman

Stanford Samuels

Willie Amos

Yvenson Bernard

Otis Amey

Dudley Guice Jr.

Dorian Smith

Lenny Walls

Keyuo Craver

Jerry-Ralph Jules

JT Gilmore

Speaking of which... I was at the game last night and we did go to the bomber store during half time to get something for the 20 month old and didn't get back until maybe 4 minutes in to the third quarter but when did they honor Gerry James? 

4 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

In the attempt to lighten things up a bit, I have lifted this idea from Deadspin but I always found those posts interesting. Let's remember some also-rans from years gone by. Here is my starter:

Rahpaol Ball
Wane McGarity
Inoke Breckterfield
Sefa O'Reilly
Geoff Drover

Ladaris Vann

Deonce Whitaker

Orlando Bobo

Tee Martin

Russ Michna

Ron Ockimey

Vinnie Sutherland

Kwame Cavil

Quentin McCord

Mike Quinn

Ron Warner

Andrae Thurman

O’Neil Wilson

Jerome Haywood

Cam Hall

Robert Bean

Chijoke Onyenegecha

Greg Bearman

Stanford Samuels

Willie Amos

Yvenson Bernard

Otis Amey

Dudley Guice Jr.

Dorian Smith

Lenny Walls

Keyuo Craver

Jerry-Ralph Jules

JT Gilmore

tumblr_n7rohbXlkJ1s9yy41o2_500.0.gif

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Blows my mind that I read today Juran Bolden led our team in interceptions 21 years ago. 1995.

Was it that long ago? I remember how excited I was when he came back after his NFL stint. Same with Maurice Kelly, I loved that guy.

5 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Was it that long ago? I remember how excited I was when he came back after his NFL stint. Same with Maurice Kelly, I loved that guy.

1995 was his rookie year then he took off to the NFL until 2001

Mcgarrity oh how high hopes were for you. Soo let down. Kamau incompleterson too.

Loved geoff drovers hard nosed play. Thought he really showed some flashes as a DB.

Ah vann iirc from dave ritchies alma mater dropped every thing but was brought back twice.

Tee martin. after i wanna say 2.5 years when he was cut I remember him mentioning in an interview he never got the hang of 3 downs. The amount of throw aways and dump passes on 2nd down proved that. Never a fan of his, stemming from some greasy with that vols team, but hes turned into a real good coach down south and made some good money for him self. Iirc one of the big list of guys we had picked ahead of tom brady at qb.

VInny sutherland. the jet. One big catch i remember. A bunch of catch and fall down at arm tackles on returns and catches. Guy was a high pick for a returnman in the nfl then cut in tc then picked up by the 9ers had a good yards season there as a rookie then was cut and here shortly after out of football. 

The classic mike quinn football drive from the nfl pre season people talked about for seemingly 10 years.

Ron warner, as a DE and at around 250 he was a stud pass rusher before going back to the nfl. Came back at like 285 and had to play DT but couldnt make any thing happen. One of those guys that adds a ton of muscle looks great but loses his step. 

fred "otis" amey. Had high hopes for him. Not a tall wr or blazing speed. But a quick first step crazy long arms and big hands. Never made much of it though.

couple ill throw on the heap. 

Joshua bostick. WR like 6'3 iirc. Was a machine in camp looked like a world beater. One of the first cuts in camp under ritchie to keep the vets around. 

Tony ortiz. Mr.TC great resume, another guy who looked like a world beater in camp but couldnt make the club from the tub. i wanna say he was brought back atleast 3 times and to 2 camps. 

Robert flash gordon. Led us in receiving in 2000. At that point one of the best possession wrs in the league. And worked great with milt. bobby gorgeous loved the moonlight. Acting in movies and playing an AFL season before coming to the cfl. after 2k we had limited funds and had to choose between wrs. We choose robert gordon over our no3 wr who had about half his yards. Bobby was a vet with a history of production. He was a great fit in the locker room. But moonlighting in the AFL got him hurt twice and he tapered off into sub jaimie stoddard levels of production. The no3 wr was geroy simon.

derreck smith. Had half a season at wr for us and looked amazing. Like 4 100 yard games in a row. Then dropped off the face of the earth.

onterrio smith. very productive nfl player who came to the blue after a steroid /whizzinator suspension in the nfl. Came in drastically over weight. We had the intention of thunder and lightning  2.0 with him and blink. He hurt his foot the first day of practise and that was it. Cancer in the locker room over weight and banged up he was done.

Adam pacman jones. Another highly productive nfl player who got into trouble. Bombers signed him and cut him for stupid stuff he said on social media before he ever suited up. 

Brad banks. The qb not the returnman. Taken in the dispersal draft. He had the tool set and pedigree that screamed cfl star. And none of the play to back it up. We really banked on him developing at one time.

Kliff kingsbury. Another high resume guy with the skill set you think would dominate up here but nope.

Timmy chang. A personal favorite maligned back up qb prospect of mine. Loved watching him play in hawaii with chad owens. 50 yard bombs on every other play. Just didnt have what it took to make it up here. 

Brock lesnar. Never played, but taman added him to the Neg list and when he got cut by the vikes hopes were high for about a day.

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Mcgarrity oh how high hopes were for you. Soo let down. Kamau incompleterson too.

Loved geoff drovers hard nosed play. Thought he really showed some flashes as a DB.

Ah vann iirc from dave ritchies alma mater dropped every thing but was brought back twice.

Tee martin. after i wanna say 2.5 years when he was cut I remember him mentioning in an interview he never got the hang of 3 downs. The amount of throw aways and dump passes on 2nd down proved that. Never a fan of his, stemming from some greasy with that vols team, but hes turned into a real good coach down south and made some good money for him self. Iirc one of the big list of guys we had picked ahead of tom brady at qb.

VInny sutherland. the jet. One big catch i remember. A bunch of catch and fall down at arm tackles on returns and catches. Guy was a high pick for a returnman in the nfl then cut in tc then picked up by the 9ers had a good yards season there as a rookie then was cut and here shortly after out of football. 

The classic mike quinn football drive from the nfl pre season people talked about for seemingly 10 years.

Ron warner, as a DE and at around 250 he was a stud pass rusher before going back to the nfl. Came back at like 285 and had to play DT but couldnt make any thing happen. One of those guys that adds a ton of muscle looks great but loses his step. 

fred "otis" amey. Had high hopes for him. Not a tall wr or blazing speed. But a quick first step crazy long arms and big hands. Never made much of it though.

couple ill throw on the heap. 

Joshua bostick. WR like 6'3 iirc. Was a machine in camp looked like a world beater. One of the first cuts in camp under ritchie to keep the vets around. 

Tony ortiz. Mr.TC great resume, another guy who looked like a world beater in camp but couldnt make the club from the tub. i wanna say he was brought back atleast 3 times and to 2 camps. 

Robert flash gordon. Led us in receiving in 2000. At that point one of the best possession wrs in the league. And worked great with milt. bobby gorgeous loved the moonlight. Acting in movies and playing an AFL season before coming to the cfl. after 2k we had limited funds and had to choose between wrs. We choose robert gordon over our no3 wr who had about half his yards. Bobby was a vet with a history of production. He was a great fit in the locker room. But moonlighting in the AFL got him hurt twice and he tapered off into sub jaimie stoddard levels of production. The no3 wr was geroy simon.

derreck smith. Had half a season at wr for us and looked amazing. Like 4 100 yard games in a row. Then dropped off the face of the earth.

onterrio smith. very productive nfl player who came to the blue after a steroid /whizzinator suspension in the nfl. Came in drastically over weight. We had the intention of thunder and lightning  2.0 with him and blink. He hurt his foot the first day of practise and that was it. Cancer in the locker room over weight and banged up he was done.

Adam pacman jones. Another highly productive nfl player who got into trouble. Bombers signed him and cut him for stupid stuff he said on social media before he ever suited up. 

Brad banks. The qb not the returnman. Taken in the dispersal draft. He had the tool set and pedigree that screamed cfl star. And none of the play to back it up. We really banked on him developing at one time.

Kliff kingsbury. Another high resume guy with the skill set you think would dominate up here but nope.

Timmy chang. A personal favorite maligned back up qb prospect of mine. Loved watching him play in hawaii with chad owens. 50 yard bombs on every other play. Just didnt have what it took to make it up here. 

Brock lesnar. Never played, but taman added him to the Neg list and when he got cut by the vikes hopes were high for about a day.

I distinctly remember on Derrick Smith catch where he dragged a guy for a few yards and then just threw him off and ran in for a TD. Thought that guy would stick around.

Kevin Smith was another RB we brought in from the NFL that didn't get it.

Kliff Kingsbury is an up and coming coach with Texas Tech now. Didn't Timmy Chang get arrested last year?

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

I distinctly remember on Derrick Smith catch where he dragged a guy for a few yards and then just threw him off and ran in for a TD. Thought that guy would stick around.

Kliff Kingsbury is an up and coming coach with Texas Tech now. Didn't Timmy Chang get arrested last year?

Yeah I remember that catch. Also some thing jones at wr. we picked him from torontos PR iirc and started him in the east semi. Had like 200 yards receiving was brought back the next year to do nothin.

Good to hear about kingsbury. Never head about timmy chang wouldnt surprise me though. 

Scott hands of stone cloman comes to mind too.

16 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

For some reason, the MBB Twitter feed still follows that guy...it's so weird 'cause I follow Kevin Smith the movie guy on my own Twitter feed, and I keep expecting it to be his tweets on the MBB feed....why do we still follow that guy here?

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For some reason, the MBB Twitter feed still follows that guy...it's so weird 'cause I follow Kevin Smith the movie guy on my own Twitter feed, and I keep expecting it to be his tweets on the MBB feed....why do we still follow that guy here?

I usually only update the MBB list once a year before the season starts, but I never did update it this year.  No other reason than that.

Hang on a second, are we listing also rans as in guys who had high hopes but didn't pan out? Cause some of the players being listed were actually good players even if they didn't have a long tenure. I mean seeing Ryland Wickman on a list of also rans blows my mind, Wickman was great. So was Gavin Walls. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hang on a second, are we listing also rans as in guys who had high hopes but didn't pan out? Cause some of the players being listed were actually good players even if they didn't have a long tenure. I mean seeing Ryland Wickman on a list of also rans blows my mind, Wickman was great. So was Gavin Walls. 

I guess I should clarify. Maybe a more appropriate title are "forgotten players/also-rans". Walls and Wickman were good players, you just don't hear their names when it comes to alumni very often.

Because it wasn't THAT long ago they were and the teams weren't championship teams. I for one still haven't forgiven Jim Daley for running Wickman out of town in favour of Willie Fells. Gavin Walls was also over shadowed by Tom Canada but I don't think he's as forgotten as all that among fans. You bring up his name anyone who has followed the team long enough will remember it. 

• 12 hours ago, Nash00 said:

Couple more I forgot:

Gavin Walls
    Wes Lysack
    Andre Arlain
    Ryland Wickman (and his dad for those who were on OB back in the day)

wes lysack scott regimbald and joe first half flemming. never forget. 

wick makes me think of antonio armstrong. Talk about here today gone tomorrow. 

Randy "fum"bowles

troy mills and eric blount for splitting touches with charles roberts.

brendan ayenbadejo not good enough to start here but one year iirc in bc after leaving our sts for a chance to start and he had a nice nfl career.

yvenson bernard

antonio brown mr ncaa d1 track star with 4.18 speed. Had one great leaping catch i wanna say from tee martin. 

joe morgan a vaunted prospect from the supplemental draft by way of south florida. 

arjei franklin the heir apparent at one point for NI wr. 

and of course my favorite name of the flash in the pans chiijoke onyenegecha