You know who I wish was on our team?

Mike

Where does it say that guys with tattoos and grills can't also also be good men? And the people who continue to insist that Oshea never shows emotion or fire, did you not see him laying into the refs following the CGY offside that led to a TD. I don't read lips... but he wasn't exactly commending them on their efforts...

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats a bloody good point. Every team has some guys slip through the cracks. BC with khari, harold nash when he came here, marvin coleman, juran bolden mike sellers and doug brown to name a few. 

Not sure how those guys compare to a Ricky Collins but I wouldn't say a single player on that list slipped through any cracks.  A couple might have been mistakes to let them go, in hindsight, but they weren't players that got missed.

Khari spent 3 years as back-up to Damon Allen before the Bombers traded for him.

Nash was cut by Montreal an year and a half after being an all-star.

Coleman was a 3 time all-star who left the Stamps to play in the XFL and came to Winnipeg  as a FA.

Bolden only played for us or in the NFL.

Sellers signed as a FA after being getting into trouble off the field while in the NFL.

Brown's story is well known.  Wally wouldn't pay what he wanted so his rights were traded.

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Where does it say that guys with tattoos and grills can't also also be good men? And the people who continue to insist that Oshea never shows emotion or fire, did you not see him laying into the refs following the CGY offside that led to a TD. I don't read lips... but he wasn't exactly commending them on their efforts...

Exactly.  O'Shea is not as passive as most people think.  He was ripping those officials for that absolutely atrocious missed offside.  Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Not sure how those guys compare to a Ricky Collins but I wouldn't say a single player on that list slipped through any cracks.  A couple might have been mistakes to let them go, in hindsight, but they weren't players that got missed.

Khari spent 3 years as back-up to Damon Allen before the Bombers traded for him.

Nash was cut by Montreal an year and a half after being an all-star.

Coleman was a 3 time all-star who left the Stamps to play in the XFL and came to Winnipeg  as a FA.

Bolden only played for us or in the NFL.

Sellers signed as a FA after being getting into trouble off the field while in the NFL.

Brown's story is well known.  Wally wouldn't pay what he wanted so his rights were traded.

Coleman and nash were cut and had several very productive years here. Coleman was cut and went to xfl. Bc looked on paper to have won the deal for khari when it happened but it turned out not even close in our favor. He certainly fell through the cracks for them. Bolden and sellers were both productive nfl players cut, came here had some great performances here and then moved back down to the nfl to be even more productive. Bolden  was excellent in atlanta before returning here at the end of his career and sellers was a multi time pro bowler. 

Just now, BomberBall said:

Exactly.  O'Shea is not as passive as most people think.  He was ripping those officials for that absolutely atrocious missed offside.  Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

Doesn't fit the passive nice guy narrative. I can only imagine what he is like in the locker room. I'm sure an ex player of osheas pedigree has no difficulty getting in the ungilded grills of our supposed choir boys.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Half those guys didn't fall through any cracks in the CFL though.

gotten rid of by other teams with little to no interest coming to the worst team as a last ditch effort and becoming all stars. This happens all the time though, guys are constantly reflushed from other teams pre season cuts, tc guys etc.

I would have totally agreed in the two years that we spent dismantling 'swaggerville'... but how can you question Bass, Wild and Westerman when they clearly step up to lead the team without showboating?

6 of our front 7 are elite workhorses that (usually) just get the job done... the only 'bad ass' on our D is Macho Harris...

Walters signed Picard last year, drafted Chungh because of attitude...  Kuale? Banks? Nick Moore?  not choir boys.

With even a decent QB and an agressive DC, this team is 3-2 or better...  

Edited by Floyd

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I would have totally agreed in the two years that we spent dismantling 'swaggerville'... but how can you question Bass, Wild and Westerman when they clearly step up to lead the team without showboating?

6 of our front 7 are elite workhorses that (usually) just get the job done... the only 'bad ass' on our D is Macho Harris...

Walters signed Picard last year, drafted Chungh because of attitude...  Kuale? Banks? Nick Moore?  not choir boys.

With even a decent QB and an agressive DC, this team is 3-2 or better...  

This is the conundrum we find ourselves in. There is a quality head coach in waiting in Montreal in Noel Thorpe who plays a very aggressive style, but would we really want a rookie HC again? NO way he comes here in a lateral move, he tried that this offseason and the CFL nixed it anyways.

Who else is available to fix the D if they let Hall go too?

At this point, we HAVE to try throwing a pile of money at an experienced person to turn it around. Are we desperate enough to let Eric Tillman try and rejuvinate his career? Will Huff ever leave Calgary? Is Trestman really a genius or was he sheltered by ACs greatness? We need someone with legitimate CFL experience to turn this around, and not another rookie with potential.

Trestman is still the OC in Baltimore, is he not?

Coordinators in the NFL make 800k + US.

Even if we gave him both head coach and GM, he'd have to basically want to take a pay cut for the sake of running his own team again.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

At this point, we HAVE to try throwing a pile of money at an experienced person to turn it around. Are we desperate enough to let Eric Tillman try and rejuvinate his career? Will Huff ever leave Calgary? Is Trestman really a genius or was he sheltered by ACs greatness? We need someone with legitimate CFL experience to turn this around, and not another rookie with potential.

I'd be happy with Trestman if he were to come back. Maybe a bad year from Flacco (#elite) would shake him loose. I don't know how much say he had in personnel matters there though with Popp at the helm so I don't know how successful he would be in that regard or what his connections down south would be although he should have made some in his tenure in Chicago and Baltimore.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Paul Jones - VP/GM/Player Personnel.

Walters - Asst GM/Cdn Scouting

Mark Nelson - HC/DC

Ike Charlton - Asst DC/DB Coach

Pete Costanza - OC

Bob Dyce - ST/Cdn Scouting

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

I agree we could use some more attitude in the lineup.  I also like the idea of having solid human beings on the roster.  Maybe the coaches have gone overboard in their desire to have good people top to bottom?  And who says you can't have some attitude and still be a decent person?

For what it's worth, I heard Collins got released because he didn't know what the hell he was doing in practices.  I guess he got that straightened out in Sask.

One word: Coaching.

Just now, BomberBall said:

Maybe.  Or maybe he was half assing it here at the camp, thinking the CFL would be an easy ride... Got cut and changed his tune?  Went to Sask, played hard and got a spot on the roster.  Who knows?

I'll stick with coaching, thanks. Collins would have travelled to the FA camp with his own money & then forked over another  $100 US for the opportunity. Do you really think he would go half ass then?? I highly doubt it.

Interesting point.  Makes you miss the days of Swaggerville a bit.  Should never have fired Mark Nelson.  His D were ball hawks who thrived on making big plays.

The most jacked up players last night were guys like Wild and Bass who, it seemed when the team was folding, were hitting everything that moved and trying to make plays.  Too bad it didnt catch on with everyone else.

I'd almost like MOS to go into the room and demand that the players make big plays, lose if we must but go down swinging for the fences.  Hall's D is technically fine but seems vanilla to me.  I know nothing about the intricacies but seems far too passive.