GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Burris is about to re-live the "Kevin Glenn" experience and you can't blame Desjardins for making either of those choices, the proof is in the puddin.

Winning trumps all. Ottawa got a chance to improve their team so they took it. Winners do that.

Well, Willy definitely looked outmatched last night, but then again Mike Reilly is one of the best QB's in the league. I think, right now, Harris in Ottawa is the most 'talented' QB but Reilly has that 'it' factor - he'll win 'it' at any cost. Harris hasn't been in that position yet but I think he can do it too.

Willy...... I was really hoping he'd be able to drive that ball downfield in the last minute. Not necessarily scoring a TD but was very disappointed he struggled as much as he did against a porous Edmonton defense who couldn't do anything against Harris or Durant (well, until the Dline stopped a 3rd a short but that was Durants fault as much as it was Edmonton's line as he didn't extend the ball like he should have). 

I like the idea of having Burris - his time is most definitely done in Ottawa. I can't see any circumstance other than injury that they bring Burris back as a starter. However, who do the bombers have the REDBLACK's would want. Agree with Root where, though the salary matches, there's no reason to swap Burris for Willy. In fact, I'd rather keep Burris in case Harris does go down. At least you know you still have a chance (a very good chance) to win with Burris in there, vs. Willy.

I don't know, another loss or two and you gotta think the Willy experiment is over. Lets see what Dominic Davis can do. Or Bennett. Leave Nichols as the backup and have him come in when one or the other is struggling. If the Bombers go 1 - 5 or 1 - 6 (very real possibility) the season is done anyway. 

On the flip side, despite the yardage racked up the Eskimos, the defense played very well. Limiting any team to 20 points when you give up 500+ yards total offense is quit the accomplishment. Though Edmonton did shoot themselves in the foot a lot with bad penalties. 

Oh, one more thing, Ripper makes a great point, I brought it up a few weeks back. Every team, every game, I see a receiver make a play for his QB. He will catch a ball he has no business catching. He will 'make a play'. I see the Eskie receivers do it many times a game actually, it's part of what makes Reilly so good. Other than that no look catch by Smith last week in Ottawa (which really was a fluke) I don't see the bomber receivers making any big catches for Willy. Three times over the past few weeks he threw a long ball that I though was catcheable if it was Bowman, Walker, or Green (S.J.) he was throwing to. But it wasn't, and the bomber receiver(s) did not make the necessary adjustments to go after the ball, they just watched it sail away or fall short. Disappointing to say the least. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but we did the same thing to Buck Pierce too. Should we throw another qb to the wolves and let them get mentally destroyed before we fix the real problems with this team? 

How many times did George Steinbrenner fire Billy Martin?

Kpt Crunch says every receiver makes a play for the ball & make big catches for their qb. Agreed but it goes both ways. Qbs have to be inspirational leaders as well. As in putting the team on their shoulders for a win. Does anyone think Willy inspires any kind of confidence? In the huddle do you think players think he'll put out the win? Nope. So nothing happens. I really think a couple of more losses & he'll be done as a starter with his teammates.

Edited by iso_55

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Drew Willy has officially lost me.

At this point, he's the problem. No, the OL is not perfect - but they are the best unit we've had in years. No, the receivers are not always making the great catches, but they're a strong group that we could win with. Andrew Harris? Working his tail off.

None of that means anything when Willy is not making the throws he needs to make. He's mentally shattered at this point and you can see it in his actions in the pocket - any time he gets a moment to actually think about a play, he blows it. Ask him to complete a quick three step drop and fire? He's going to be on the money, but you can't do that up and down the field and expect to win football games. He has yet to hit a receiver IN STRIDE over 20 yards this year and we're four games in. He has no touch on the deep ball this year at all. He can't escape even intermediate levels of pressure in the pocket.

He's been absolutely horrible and at this point, for the first time in three years, I'm starting to think of things like "what's it going to take to get James Franklin here?" instead of wondering what we can do to help our franchise QB. We don't have a franchise QB anymore.

100% Mike

5 hours ago, Ripper said:

I'd split first team reps in practice this week and then start Willy in game. I'd let him know the leash will be short. Or just go to a straight up platoon situation during game. Be interesting to see what the Oline looks like with Nichols behind it. Be interesting to see if Lapo's conservative calls look conservative when Nichols is playing.

You seem to think the inability of the offense to generate points lies mainly at the feet of the O-coordinator...as if all the hitches, screens and 3-yard curls are set plays in which Willy has no choice but to make these plays.  Watch Willy closely and you will often see him look down the field only to check down to a shorter safer option on several occasions.  He appears very hesitant to make long, or even, intermediate passes.  Much, if not most of the responsibility for the inability of the offense to generate offense lies with him.

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Kpt Crunch says every receiver makes a play for the ball & make big catches for their qb. Agreed but it goes both ways. Qbs have to be inspirational leaders as well. As in putting the team on their shoulders for a win. Does anyone think Willy inspires any kind of confidence? In the huddle do you think players think he'll put out the win? Nope. So nothing happens. I really think a couple of more losses & he'll be done as a starter with his teammates.

Probably happened in the pre-season - the loss of confidence in Drew Willy.  Lawless or another reporter brought this up with a tweet or comment in the paper with regards to the locker room

17 hours ago, Ripper said:

He seemed scared to step up into the pocket, a bit of happy feet

It's not just that. He suffered a very nasty knee injury last season. I was wondering how it would affect his ability to throw the ball and I believe we are seeing the effects now. He is not the same athlete he was as before the knee injury. He is a damaged QB that can no longer throw an accurate football. I think it's as simple as that. We need to get us another QB. This one's broken. What's really sad is that MOS probably feels responsible for Willy being broken and refuses to accept it. That's why he keeps rolling him out there. He can't accept the fact that Willy's career as an elite starting QB in this league ended during his watch (however brief that turns out to be).

5 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Walters need to work on that.

Willy & Medlock for Burris.

Only way Walter/Miller trade Medlock is when the bombers are pretty much certain to finish up the track = then trade him to a playoff team that needs a reliable/long place-kicker who can make them better!

If Walters can get a healthy Burris (Hank's finger is still very swollen) for a dud QB and a near $200k place-kicker - do it! Maybe get a 3rd round draft pick to top it off cuz Burris might have half a season to a season and a half left.

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

It's not just that. He suffered a very nasty knee injury last season. I was wondering how it would affect his ability to throw the ball and I believe we are seeing the effects now. He is not the same athlete he was as before the knee injury. He is a damaged QB that can no longer throw an accurate football. I think it's as simple as that. We need to get us another QB. This one's broken. What's really sad is that MOS probably feels responsible for Willy being broken and refuses to accept it. That's why he keeps rolling him out there. He can't accept the fact that Willy's career as an elite starting QB in this league ended during his watch (however brief that turns out to be).

The longer Stubborn Mike hangs in with Willy the easier to gauge O'Shea's level of insanity.

4 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

You seem to think the inability of the offense to generate points lies mainly at the feet of the O-coordinator...as if all the hitches, screens and 3-yard curls are set plays in which Willy has no choice but to make these plays.  Watch Willy closely and you will often see him look down the field only to check down to a shorter safer option on several occasions.  He appears very hesitant to make long, or even, intermediate passes.  Much, if not most of the responsibility for the inability of the offense to generate offense lies with him.

You may be right. I'm a black or white kinda guy. If the plays coming in require the ball to be moved down field and he isn't doing it, his ass is on the bench. If its the other way than Lapo is answering for it. I understand that every play has multiple routes and reads and the qb needs to do what he thinks he needs to do to be successful. Certain plays have deep routes as the first read is more what I was referring to. Either way there is a problem that needs to be addressed by the head coach.

5 hours ago, KptKrunch said:

Well, Willy definitely looked outmatched last night, but then again Mike Reilly is one of the best QB's in the league. I think, right now, Harris in Ottawa is the most 'talented' QB but Reilly has that 'it' factor - he'll win 'it' at any cost. Harris hasn't been in that position yet but I think he can do it too.

Willy...... I was really hoping he'd be able to drive that ball downfield in the last minute. Not necessarily scoring a TD but was very disappointed he struggled as much as he did against a porous Edmonton defense who couldn't do anything against Harris or Durant (well, until the Dline stopped a 3rd a short but that was Durants fault as much as it was Edmonton's line as he didn't extend the ball like he should have). 

I like the idea of having Burris - his time is most definitely done in Ottawa. I can't see any circumstance other than injury that they bring Burris back as a starter. However, who do the bombers have the REDBLACK's would want. Agree with Root where, though the salary matches, there's no reason to swap Burris for Willy. In fact, I'd rather keep Burris in case Harris does go down. At least you know you still have a chance (a very good chance) to win with Burris in there, vs. Willy.

I don't know, another loss or two and you gotta think the Willy experiment is over. Lets see what Dominic Davis can do. Or Bennett. Leave Nichols as the backup and have him come in when one or the other is struggling. If the Bombers go 1 - 5 or 1 - 6 (very real possibility) the season is done anyway. 

On the flip side, despite the yardage racked up the Eskimos, the defense played very well. Limiting any team to 20 points when you give up 500+ yards total offense is quit the accomplishment. Though Edmonton did shoot themselves in the foot a lot with bad penalties. 

Oh, one more thing, Ripper makes a great point, I brought it up a few weeks back. Every team, every game, I see a receiver make a play for his QB. He will catch a ball he has no business catching. He will 'make a play'. I see the Eskie receivers do it many times a game actually, it's part of what makes Reilly so good. Other than that no look catch by Smith last week in Ottawa (which really was a fluke) I don't see the bomber receivers making any big catches for Willy. Three times over the past few weeks he threw a long ball that I though was catcheable if it was Bowman, Walker, or Green (S.J.) he was throwing to. But it wasn't, and the bomber receiver(s) did not make the necessary adjustments to go after the ball, they just watched it sail away or fall short. Disappointing to say the least. 

I think the word is sufficiently out if you start jumping and diving for Willy's errant balls - you could easily put your health and career in jeopardy. So if the ball isn't near the bread basket - the receivers have decided to give up on the ball. Not a good sign for the future.