Which week does O'Shea get canned?

Brandon

As far as my own "negative" approach.....

The bottom line......  Bombers overall play is not getting it done, and the results are falling far short (yet again) of any reasonable expectation.....

This makes it pretty difficult to accurately report on the play, during games...or make any kind of evaluation of some (ok, most) positions on this team....without it being somewhat "negative" in both content and tone....

Believe me....it would be far more satisfying and for that matter, fun.....to be able to toss out plaudits, lolypops, and be able to stick out my chest more often.   Instead of having MY team a figure of fun, or an object of pity....

The fans do their part...... in investing money, time, and emotion in their team.    When "payback" in the form of good play and winning doesn't happen....there will always be a letdown.    No amount of BS, excuses and wishful thinking  will fix or compensate for this....

Particular when the light at the end of the tunnel has not become visible to the naked eye, just yet......

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Man it's depressing to have to be talking about when we euthanize our HC after week 2. There are lots of reasons to do so, but that doesn't make it any less depressing.

Yeah it really is. Nobody wants to talk about all of the shortcomings. Everybody wants to have something to be excited about.

It can be so entertaining. But the Bombers aren't even competitive. They are clearly the worst team in the league right now. With no realistic reason for thinking that's going to change.

Problem for me is, it makes me lose interest in the league in general. I don't really want to follow any of the games, when the Bombers are so far from having any kind of chance.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Root said:

The current management group will never euthanize MOS after only 3 or 4 games - the carnage would have to be massive to make that move before Labour Day, if not the entire season.

O'Shea is starting to eerily sound like Tim Burke with a better haircut.

O'Shea seems to be trying as hard as he knows how, compared to Burke who appeared to concede every game before it started. Burke was the Eeyore of the CFL.

Lot's of great, likeable players have failed in the coaching profession. Matt Dunigan comes to mind. The guy was one of the best QB's I ever saw, and he's in his element where he should be now. He tried his hand at head coaching but it didn't work out for whatever reasons. I think MOS will be thought of as one of the best National/Canadian players ever to play in the CFL when we look back in 25 years. I hope this coaching blip won't be held against him. He's a genuinely great guy with a genuine passion for the game who really wants to win. I think he realizes that it isn't the end of the world if this doesn't work out. I believe he really still is one of the best ST coaches, just a bit over his head at HC.

Edited by IC Khari

I dunno. All off season you hear how players want to come here to play for MOS. 2 games later and they have quit on him? I don't think so.  I think its possible that the D has quit on Hall tho. Such a soft D. Playing off so much. I just find it hard to believe that the players have quit on MOS after 2 games 

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

I dunno. All off season you hear how players want to come here to play for MOS. 2 games later and they have quit on him? I don't think so.  I think its possible that the D has quit on Hall tho. Such a soft D. Playing off so much. I just find it hard to believe that the players have quit on MOS after 2 games 

Where were you hearing this? Can you cite actual players saying this who aren't Blue Bombers? Otherwise, who cares? Someone joins our team and says "I want to play for coach" it's just  typical pleasantries. And lets say that some how MOS has built a reputation of being a players coach, what results has that netted us? 

Edited by White Out

16 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

I'd like to see if we could pry Tate from Calgary.

If they are going to do it they better do it soon.  He's only ever played for one team and I would expect the adjustment to a new one would take a few weeks.  Season would be over if we don't get a couple wins soon.

Long shot but if Harris takes over from Burris this year, would he want a trade? He wants to play in front of family but if he's not playing...   I know he's old and a stop gap measure but he'd adjust quickly and gives us the chance to win right now. Hypothetical at this point. 

Bob Irving brought up the point about the bomber d-line being too small and under-powered. He mentioned Westerman is under-sized, Shologan and Cummings aren't exactly beasts, etc. But Doug Brown sluffed off the idea - saying its more important to have fit guys who can endure an entire game than monsters who start gasping for air at half-time. Oppositions are sure finding ways to keep Westerman quiet - and Green seemed to be spectating much of the Calgary game.

Just now, Root said:

Bob Irving brought up the point about the bomber d-line being too small and under-powered. He mentioned Westerman is under-sized, Shologan and Cummings aren't exactly beasts, etc. But Doug Brown sluffed off the idea - saying its more important to have fit guys who can endure an entire game than monsters who start gasping for air at half-time. Oppositions are sure finding ways to keep Westerman quiet - and Green seemed to be spectating much of the Calgary game.

So where is  Rupert Butcher?

Didn't they cut Rupert B?  Also, Trent Corney looks good when a QB is holding onto the ball and he's able to make his way around the perimeter - not so good when he has to defeat a solid 6'5", 315lb. OT directly. Corney is definitely NOT a bull-rusher - in fact - do the bombers have any bull-rushers this year? The under-sized vet DT they cut prior to training camp comes to mind but he's not here either.

4 hours ago, Root said:

Didn't they cut Rupert B?  Also, Trent Corney looks good when a QB is holding onto the ball and he's able to make his way around the perimeter - not so good when he has to defeat a solid 6'5", 315lb. OT directly. Corney is definitely NOT a bull-rusher - in fact - do the bombers have any bull-rushers this year? The under-sized vet DT they cut prior to training camp comes to mind but he's not here either.

One on one I would think Corney wins his fair share if only because of endurance and speed.

4 hours ago, Root said:

Corney plays a bit like John Chick and probably physically closer to a bull-rusher than most DT's in the league.  That skill is more useful inside, less so outside. 

17 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Lot's of great, likeable players have failed in the coaching profession. Matt Dunigan comes to mind. The guy was one of the best QB's I ever saw, and he's in his element where he should be now. He tried his hand at head coaching but it didn't work out for whatever reasons. I think MOS will be thought of as one of the best National/Canadian players ever to play in the CFL when we look back in 25 years. I hope this coaching blip won't be held against him. He's a genuinely great guy with a genuine passion for the game who really wants to win. I think he realizes that it isn't the end of the world if this doesn't work out. I believe he really still is one of the best ST coaches, just a bit over his head at HC.

He will be ST coordinator somewhere, probably Toronto. Although teams were substandard there last time he was ST honcho: http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/special-teams-a-concern-for-argonauts

I know from personal experience that Wade Miller doesn't take fools lightly.  If he sees that O'Shea has lost the room.  He wont be around for long.  

Wade is extremely sharp and he knows the dynamics of a locker room.  

You can blame the coaches or blame the players by the one constant for years and years are problems on the team that never seem to get solved. D line has no pressure or are being gutted for long runs, lb's that can't help stop the run, O line can't block or open holes, db's can't cover anyone, qb's not ready to be a starter, rb's that are not consistent enough, that one receiver that puts fear in the opposition, quality Canadians, special terms that are not special, kickers and punters that are horrible. Some have been for the most part rectified but many parts of both offence and defense are still  inferior to the rest of the league. As for MOS i don't like the idea of firing a HC in football part way through the season, think he should of been let go after last year, but this team could be 0-7 before you know and the crowds at IGF could become very grim forcing management to do something to appease the masses.

25 minutes ago, bustamente said:

You can blame the coaches or blame the players by the one constant for years and years are problems on the team that never seem to get solved. D line has no pressure or are being gutted for long runs, lb's that can't help stop the run, O line can't block or open holes, db's can't cover anyone, qb's not ready to be a starter, rb's that are not consistent enough, that one receiver that puts fear in the opposition, quality Canadians, special terms that are not special, kickers and punters that are horrible. Some have been for the most part rectified but many parts of both offence and defense are still  inferior to the rest of the league. As for MOS i don't like the idea of firing a HC in football part way through the season, think he should of been let go after last year, but this team could be 0-7 before you know and the crowds at IGF could become very grim forcing management to do something to appease the masses.

If the board and/or Miller decide to wield the axe on O'Shea and/or Walters, I certainly hope its not to "please the masses". If it is time to make such as decision, it ought to be because our coach/GM have screwed the team up and cannot fix it. The decision has to be the result of smart people doing the necessary thing and not just to placate the fans. If they are so clued out that they cannot assess the situation accurately, they ought to fall on their own swords as well.

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

If the board and/or Miller decide to wield the axe on O'Shea and/or Walters, I certainly hope its not to "please the masses". If it is time to make such as decision, it ought to be because our coach/GM have screwed the team up and cannot fix it. The decision has to be the result of smart people doing the necessary thing and not just to placate the fans. If they are so clued out that they cannot assess the situation accurately, they ought to fall on their own swords as well.

If we're 0-7 or 1-7 & going nowhere then this team will need to be gutted as we have a lot of expensive veterans on the team we signed in free agency. All that Walters did will have to be undone & we start from the bottom again. If that was to happen then 'd I'd be in favour of firing Walters after the season & getting an experienced person in here who has football contacts everywhere especially if this team is a hot steaming pile of ... as we can't just stand pat.

One thing that really bothers me is when we cut a guy like Nick Moore, even Jovon Johnson they end up playing well in another city. Whats up with that?

Even Heffney put on some mileage - well after everyone here thought his under-carriage was all rusted out!

Another guy - Justin Sorensen - couldn't crack the practice roster here - now he's the starting centre on the defending Grey Cup champions.

I think part of the reason Moore recessed in Wpg. is he was battling for errant balls from a harassed and harried QB - putting himself in awkward contortions, subject to getting brained and legs cut from under him.

Wonder what history holds for guys like Dressler, Smith and Harris - once they realize they're battling for jump balls far more than necessary?

O, and one more guy who's under-performing. Stanley Bryant was nothing if not dominant in Calgary. In Blue he's barely holding his own.

When a player plays on a team that is not very good expectations are lowered. Why try to be excellent when no one else is? That is what it's like in Winnipeg. When that player goes to a city like Edmonton or Calgary there is a tradition of excellence there. Expectations are high and if you under-perform you know you will be gone.