Around The NHL 2016/2017

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Well they didn't stop going to the Olympics because of the world cup because the world cup was around b4. I'd imagine they said no to the Olympics because it's in Korea and not far from there is a crazy little man who is crazy enough to start crap during the winter Olympics.  Basically no hockey at all in Korea also so they gain nothing by going they will go to China in 2022 tho.  

And I was so hoping that athletes would be more mature during the winter olympics, it's just a shame that some world leaders can't be as mature as athletes when they are competing(with the exception of Lochte and Solo and that martial arts athlete from Egypt). wait NHL players will play in the 2022 olympics? I guess someone must have told Bettman that if he prevents that then he can forget about putting the NHL there

Edited by iHeart

7 minutes ago, iHeart said:

And I was so hoping that athletes would be more mature during the winter olympics, it's just a shame that some world leaders can't be as mature as athletes when they are competing. wait NHL players will play in the 2022 olympics? I guess someone must have told Bettman that if he prevents that then he can forget about putting the NHL there

You blame bettman but reality is the reason they aren't going to Korea is because bettmans bosses including mark Chipman aka the owners, don't want to go. Bettman is just the guy who takes the heat. 

Plus Darling while I like him and hope he does well.... reality is he's never been a starter.  His numbers are very hutch like actually after the amount of games he's played.  4 million plus is an overpayment.  I hope he does well in Carolina but he's not proven enough to get 4 plus million 

This was always the range Darling was going to get.   Term might be a bit long  

Similar to what Talbot got in Edmonton.  Talbot was similar as an unproven starter who had shown well as a backup with the Rangers prior to signing in Edmonton. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter-Tessier/The-Jets-might-be-Younger-Next-Season/161/85011

In a question about the the team, in particular Jacob Trouba, Mr. Chipman extolled a bit on the direction of the roster and said this: "we believe that the roster could likely be younger next season and that by July 1st the team will be much closer to the salary cap".

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter-Tessier/The-Jets-might-be-Younger-Next-Season/161/85011

In a question about the the team, in particular Jacob Trouba, Mr. Chipman extolled a bit on the direction of the roster and said this: "we believe that the roster could likely be younger next season and that by July 1st the team will be much closer to the salary cap".

I am hoping they are referring to Thorburn, Stuart,  Pavelec and Stafford being off this team and replaced with younger guys....

The team really can't get much younger at this point?  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I am hoping they are referring to Thorburn, Stuart,  Pavelec and Stafford being off this team and replaced with younger guys....

The team really can't get much younger at this point?  

Adding Kyle Connor and maybe a younger D man like Poolman does make the average age younger. Thor Pav Stafford bring the avg age up quite a bit so by removing them and replacing them with younger guys yeah the avg age will drop. 

8 hours ago, Rich said:

This was always the range Darling was going to get.   Term might be a bit long  

Similar to what Talbot got in Edmonton.  Talbot was similar as an unproven starter who had shown well as a backup with the Rangers prior to signing in Edmonton. 

Talbot had a year left when they traded for him and proved he's legit. Darling has played something like 82 NHL games in total and zero as the number 1 guy. 

Darling got what he would of probably got as a UFA term is long for what he has shown so far but sometimes you roll the dice, I think he is going to do very well in Carolina, still would be nice if we could get someone to tandem with Helle for a couple of years.

20 hours ago, Floyd said:

Hopefully closer to the cap means they are signing Trouba long-term... but I don' think so.

Jets will drift along, saving money on the RFA deals until they are 6 months away from UFA and then trade them for more picks and a prospect.

Chipman's remarks are pretty pointed.  I think he's referring to a big offer for Trouba.  Willingness to be closer to the cap would indicate a sense they think they can win.  All about cap management because they will have to re-sign these young guys (Ehlers, Laine) soon enough too.

Raises for Trouba Little Ehlers are all possible for sure. This idea you build a team by overpaying free agents is ridiculous and bullshit.  They have no problem paying their own guys but they won't overpay for UFA to come here. It's pretty much common NHL practice actually.  Jets are no different.  Difference Is they won't get in to a bidding war for a UFA. It's called being smart. July 1st is called a Frenzy for a reason... GM'S are stupid that day. It's unfortunate tho we didn't sign David Clarkson or the many other guys who get severely overpaid on July 1st. 

Edited by Goalie

Tavares can likely get that money in at least 10-15 different cities in the NHL.  If I am him, there is no way I'm staying in NY.  Not once in his time there has he been given any top-tier talent to work with.  And any time their young players start to develop, they are shipped out of town.  It's a terrible place to play hockey.