Around The NHL 2016/2017

Theoretical question:

Would you trade Schneider for Helle straight up?

Salary/cap dump for Devils. Instantly makes the Jets a better team for 2017/18 but puts a roadblock in front of Comrie for the future.

36 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yes. I think I would. I'd add Petan at most. No to ehlers or anyone like that 

Tend to agree.  Schenider is better right now with a proven track record.  His contract is still a bit high.  I'd throw something in if Jersey would retain a bit.  But if you have a bonafide #1 you're paying him over $5m anyway.  We cant keep cheaping out on goaltending.

And I think the Jets think they are closer they they appear.  Look at Edmonton. Flick a switch and compete for a cup.  If Comrie is 1-2 years away but TODAY can fill in when needed, having a bonafide #1 is not a bad idea.  5 years?  Meh, you want to be in the playoffs everyone of those years?

19 hours ago, Atomic said:

Can't help but sit here and laugh as all these teams are making trades to acquire goalies and beat the free agent market because it wasn't 2 or 3 weeks ago that people were saying "there won't be much of a market for goalies so we'll have our pick!"

"all these teams"...There have been two trades for a goalie, and we never would have never been in the running for Bishop anyways.

Edited by sweep the leg

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Tend to agree.  Schenider is better right now with a proven track record.  His contract is still a bit high.  I'd throw something in if Jersey would retain a bit.  But if you have a bonafide #1 you're paying him over $5m anyway.  We cant keep cheaping out on goaltending.

And I think the Jets think they are closer they they appear.  Look at Edmonton. Flick a switch and compete for a cup.  If Comrie is 1-2 years away but TODAY can fill in when needed, having a bonafide #1 is not a bad idea.  5 years?  Meh, you want to be in the playoffs everyone of those years?

Flick a switch...?  Hired very experience GM and coach...  They signed a ton of free agents - Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Maroon, Desharnais, Kassian, etc

Traded one of their top three players for a 2nd pairing D

And then drafted McDavid.

That is not 'flicking a switch' - they completely overhauled the team.

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Lawless' suggestion of Ehlers and Comrie for Schneider was crazy. I'd offer Helle and a 2nd rounder or 2nd tier prospect. If they want more we could just move on.

Lawless is already in Vegas... that conversation was ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

"all these teams"...There have been two trades for a goalie, and we never would have never been in the running for Bishop anyways.

Yeah I got it, you didn't have to edit it for emphasis.

I'm just saying if we are just going to sit around with our thumbs up our butts and settle for the last goalie remaining on the market, we're going to be in no better position than we were this season.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yeah I got it, you didn't have to edit it for emphasis.

I'm just saying if we are just going to sit around with our thumbs up our butts and settle for the last goalie remaining on the market, we're going to be in no better position than we were this season.

Yes I did.

I'd be happy with a Mason/Helle combo. Mason had four good seasons before last year and is still fairly young.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

You could do a LOT worse than Schneider as a back-up to Helle.....depending on the contract, I'd be okay with that...

Huh? You could do a LOT worse than Schneider as a starter, just because he plays in New Jersey doesn't mean he's not a bonafide starting goal tender. Dude is legit. 

50 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Yes I did.

I'd be happy with a Mason/Helle combo. Mason had four good seasons before last year and is still fairly young.

Mason is still relatively well-regarded throughout the league.  I'd be curious to see what kind of deal we could get him here on.  It wouldn't be a bargain basement deal though... probably 3+ years at 3m/year.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Flick a switch...?  Hired very experience GM and coach...  They signed a ton of free agents - Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Maroon, Desharnais, Kassian, etc

Traded one of their top three players for a 2nd pairing D

And then drafted McDavid.

That is not 'flicking a switch' - they completely overhauled the team.

Yes, two years ago they were rock bottom.  A year ago, missed the playoffs.  This year competing for the cup.

Quick turnaround is what I meant.  Had lots of talent but still wasnt making it.  Made key changes to compete.  But you dont build a winner by buying talented in the summer.  You add pieces to get you over the top.

My point being, I think the Jets see themselves as a lot closer then it looks.  That they can be the "did not qualify" Oilers one year and competing for the cup the next.  Solid goaltending, better D. 

I didnt mean flick a switch in went from bad to worse in an inexplicable way.  I meant they did it quickly because they had the basis for a winner and knew what to do to complete the picture.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, two years ago they were rock bottom.  A year ago, missed the playoffs.  This year competing for the cup.

Quick turnaround is what I meant.  Had lots of talent but still wasnt making it.  Made key changes to compete.  But you dont build a winner by buying talented in the summer.  You add pieces to get you over the top.

My point being, I think the Jets see themselves as a lot closer then it looks.  That they can be the "did not qualify" Oilers one year and competing for the cup the next.  Solid goaltending, better D. 

I didnt mean flick a switch in went from bad to worse in an inexplicable way.  I meant they did it quickly because they had the basis for a winner and knew what to do to complete the picture.

My concern is that these switches seem to happen after teams hire experienced GMs and coaches that are proven winners.  Jets don't have either of those.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Theoretical question:

Would you trade Schneider for Helle straight up?

Salary/cap dump for Devils. Instantly makes the Jets a better team for 2017/18 but puts a roadblock in front of Comrie for the future.

Schneider makes Luongo look good and I thought Luongo was overrated.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

NHL should launch another franchise in Atlanta... would be nice to get a natural hat trick of Atlanta teams in Canada.

The ownership group in Atlanta should lobby for this.  They'd get a team a lot quicker (by emergency, desperate relocation) than waiting for the NHL to give them one. haha

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

The Jets would be insane to not make the trade if by some magical reason New Jersey offered Corey straight up for Helle.   

The future goalie is Comrie,  Helle is a 3 year stop gap if that unless he turns it around...

How do you figure? Hellebuyck has way out performed Comrie at the same points in their careers. Helle played on an equally sucky Moose team.