Around The NHL 2016/2017

43 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Tavares can likely get that money in at least 10-15 different cities in the NHL.  If I am him, there is no way I'm staying in NY.  Not once in his time there has he been given any top-tier talent to work with.  And any time their young players start to develop, they are shipped out of town.  It's a terrible place to play hockey.

But he can only get an 8 year deal in New York.

He had a down year but his career stats are better than anything we have.  Question is, was last year an aberration or the beginning of the end?  31 is too early for the end, I'd say.  And he'd be called upon to be a steady veteran 1B.   Unfortunately he is getting paid $5 million per year for 5 more years.  So it won't happen unless NJ ate half that salary and even then the term is too long.

Unfortunately you have to accept the element of risk when signing a goalie.  You're not getting a good free agent goalie for less than a 4 year term.

Can't help but sit here and laugh as all these teams are making trades to acquire goalies and beat the free agent market because it wasn't 2 or 3 weeks ago that people were saying "there won't be much of a market for goalies so we'll have our pick!"

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

You could do a LOT worse than Schneider as a back-up to Helle.....depending on the contract, I'd be okay with that...

Except there's no depending on the contract... its five more years at $6 million.

2009-10                             .915      
2010-11                              .929      
2011-12                              .936      

2012-13                             .927      
2013-14                             .921      
2014-15                             .925      
2015-16                             .924      
2016-17                             .908    

Personally I would bet on Schneider bouncing back.

Why. When raanta elliot grubauer and Steve mason are available and cheaper and probably better options and the best part all they will cost you is maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a B prospect like Kosmachuk.  

Or in mason and Elliots case... whatever contract you offer them. 

Tessier writes for hockey buzz which is eklunds site so... in other words he's full of crap

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why. When raanta elliot grubauer and Steve mason are available and cheaper and probably better options and the best part all they will cost you is maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a B prospect like Kosmachuk.  

Tessier writes for hockey buzz which is eklunds site so... in other words he's full of crap

Give it a rest.  The guy wrote a blog.  It wasnt an "insider" report.  Not everyone with an opinion you disagree with is maliciously trying to antagonize you.

Having said that, I tend to agree with you.  Jets would balk at 5 more years at that price.

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

I don't particularly want to see Schneider here but there is no question he is better than Mason and Elliott.  Raanta and Grubauer are both intriguing options and we could get them for a year or two before offering them a big contract if they earn it.  But I have a tough time imagining us going outside the organization and acquiring a young goalie with the intention of keeping him here long term.  I see us looking for a veteran to play for one or two years.... I wonder if Ryan Miller could be an option.  He's old but we can count on him being pretty good for 30 or so games, I think.  I'd rather have him than Elliott or another bum.

Lawless is funny thinking that the team would trade away Ehlers + Comrie + prospects for Corey Schneider.    

The banter of Hustler banging his head against the wall trying to explain to Lawless that with Pavelec off the books that the club has much more money to drop on a bigger name goalie without having to dump Ehlers and his possible future salary was great.    Also him trying to explain the Lawless that it makes no sense for the Jets to trade away Ehlers rather then a 1st round draft pick because Ehlers is a proven guy and a 1st round draft pick wouldn't be a guarantee was hilarious.     The whole segment came away with me thinking that Lawless really doesn't put a lot of thought in his comments. 

As for free agent goalies... their are a tonne of experienced guys still on the market.  The Jets were never going to get Bishop.

Mason is a likely target same with Elliott... guy who will play 30 - 50 games for 2 seasons is what they want.

The only thing that perplexes me about the push for Corey is that contract.  I like him.  I like his stats.  But 5 years at $6m per?  Thats basically saying you're not going with Helle.  Thats trading for a new #1 and then hope Comrie takes over.  If thats what the Jets decide, so be it.  Jersey would need a goalie so I imagine it would be Helle for Corey. 

But I woudnt do Ehlers for Corey straight up, let alone adding Comrie.  Because if you NEED a new #1, there was Darling and Bishop available for a pick and the Jets didnt do it.  So they arent trading a star player for an aging goalie on a contract they dont like when they have a goalie they DO like (rightly or wrongly).

Their intent (The Jets) is to replace Hutch, not replace Helle.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The only thing that perplexes me about the push for Corey is that contract.  I like him.  I like his stats.  But 5 years at $6m per?  Thats basically saying you're not going with Helle.  Thats trading for a new #1 and then hope Comrie takes over.  If thats what the Jets decide, so be it.  Jersey would need a goalie so I imagine it would be Helle for Corey. 

But I woudnt do Ehlers for Corey straight up, let alone adding Comrie.  Because if you NEED a new #1, there was Darling and Bishop available for a pick and the Jets didnt do it.  So they arent trading a star player for an aging goalie on a contract they dont like when they have a goalie they DO like (rightly or wrongly).

Their intent (The Jets) is to replace Hutch, not replace Helle.

Your last sentence is bang on. In reality Schneider Bishop Darling were never real options. It's interesting that we are putting the unproven darling in that group tho. Just want to add... radio guys need to talk about things so just cut they are talking about Schneider or whoever... in the end all it means is nothing... they are just killing time. Speculating more so as fans. 

Edited by Goalie