Around The NHL 2016/2017

23 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

No clue who this guy is - but if it means one of Vatanen, Lindholm, Manson, Theodore or Fowler shakes loose from ANA, Jets better be making some calls....

Goaltending be damned - improving the D is priority #1 for me.  Starts with getting (by force, if necessary) Trouba to sign long term. 

Likely that at least one of those guys ends up in Vegas...

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I hope not. This past season of Trouba's play should show management he's a key asset to this team's future.

I don't think the team is doubting that.  It's more about Trouba's willingness to stay here.  I don't believe his desire to leave suddenly evaporated upon signing that bridge deal.

It depends on the real reasons and who was driving that.  There was speculation that it was a strategy to get him somewhere bigger.  So be it.  But the speculation was Trouba himself wasnt the one determined to leave, that he was not happy that the strategy didnt work.  If the point is to get him a lot of money and a long term deal, he can get that here.  If HE doesnt mind playing here, then great.

25 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lots of talk about usage and wanting to be rhd. Those issues seem to have gone away. Will they sign him? I think so. Will his 7 or 8 year extension mean he's a jet that long? No 

Yeah I pretty much agree with this.  I see a Kane situation unfolding but with less vitriol... Trouba signs long-term but is eventually traded.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I don't think the team is doubting that.  It's more about Trouba's willingness to stay here.  I don't believe his desire to leave suddenly evaporated upon signing that bridge deal.

And we still don't know how much of that is true, either. There was a lot of speculation as to why he wasn't re-signing last year and nothing was really ever confirmed or denied. His agent played dumb and when Trouba did re-sign, he chose to leave the past in the past.

He played his side and played big minutes this past season - two things he apparently wanted in order to stay. He was easily the team's best defenseman last season, so I hope both sides can work out a deal in which he's a Jet for the next several years.

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well the Jets own his soul until 26 so either sit or make bucks.

Exactly. Sitting for a month last season didn't help his cause, anyway.

I still can't understand this issue some fans in Winnipeg have where they think they worst of a situation. Especially when the majority of us know nothing behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Exactly. Sitting for a month last season didn't help his cause, anyway.

I still can't understand this issue some fans in Winnipeg have where they think they worst of a situation. Especially when the majority of us know nothing behind closed doors.

I don't think the worst but I also believe that where there is smoke there is usually fire.  Now that doesn't mean Trouba won't sign but I do think that if he did have a problem with Winnipeg, it hasn't just disappeared and we'll be hearing about it again.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't think the worst but I also believe that where there is smoke there is usually fire.  Now that doesn't mean Trouba won't sign but I do think that if he did have a problem with Winnipeg, it hasn't just disappeared and we'll be hearing about it again.

That's just it, though: the "smoke" was his not wanting to play on his weak side and believing he could play more minutes. The rest was just rumours and hearsay. I heard everything from his Dad having problems with the law to his girlfriend being unable to find work in Canada. None of that was ever substantiated.

He got what he wanted after re-signing and he played his arse off for this team in 2016-17. There's been no "smoke" ever since.

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That's just it, though: the "smoke" was his not wanting to play on his weak side and believing he could play more minutes. The rest was just rumours and hearsay. I heard everything from his Dad having problems with the law to his girlfriend being able to find work in Canada. None of that was ever substantiated.

He got what he wanted after re-signing and he played his arse off for this team in 2016-17. There's been no "smoke" ever since.

The rumours and hearsay are the smoke.  Official statements from players and agents mean very little to me.  The only fact we really know is that Trouba was unwilling to sign long term.  Maybe that has changed, maybe not.  I'm hoping he will but I'm not arrogant enough to believe I know what he is going to do.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Maybe he was willing to sign but the Jets weren't willing to give him the big money he wanted. Perhaps they are now. Don't kid yourself.. pro sports Is all about the money. 

IIRC, the Jets' offer was declined by Trouba's camp. That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, though. It could just mean his camp thinks he's worth more. Based on Overhardt's track record, I have to think he influenced Trouba's decision to sit.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Maybe he was willing to sign but the Jets weren't willing to give him the big money he wanted. Perhaps they are now. Don't kid yourself.. pro sports Is all about the money. 

Could be.  I'm sure that won't be a problem this time around.

Trouba rolled the dice by taking a bridge contract and in the end he will win and get what he wants if not from the Jets from another team, last year he was thrown into top d minutes and played very well. I hope the Jets give him what he wants within reason because with him and Morrissey as the top d pair we will be in great shape for years to come. As a side note I think that Morrissey is playing real well in the over seas tourney.

12 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

IIRC, the Jets' offer was declined by Trouba's camp. That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, though. It could just mean his camp thinks he's worth more. Based on Overhardt's track record, I have to think he influenced Trouba's decision to sit.

Jets were not allowed to make an offer. That was confirmed by both sides. 

Im not sure Trouba necessarily wins.  I guess he is over-paid he wins.  His agent would not have advised taking an 8 year deal that didnt pay him, at least some of those years, as a #1 D.  His play this past season shows that's his ceiling.  But he lost money by sitting out that he will never get back.  And since they were not willing to listen to an offer from the Jets that is really burned money because he ended up back on the Jets anyway.

He still cant get to another team that easily.  And Trouba blinked first when it came to sitting out.  He wont do that again.  Im not sure he will want to play the game of trying to be traded, going to arbitration etc.  He seems like a "hockey kid".  I think the Jets present him the option of being a core member of their attempt to win a cup here and he gives it serious thought.  I'd say Jets go no less than 6 year extension.

I think Trouba is serious when he says he's under contract and not looking for an extension.

My guess is that he doesn't not sign an extension, hoping to improve his numbers again, boosting his contract value even more.

Of course, if he's willing to listen, maybe Jacob gets paid this summer.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Oh are we talking about him signing this offseason?  Lol yeah there is no chance that happens.  Maybe he signs when his current deal is up but certainly not before then.

Why not?  The gamble you take with trying to boost your numbers another season is that you dont...or you get hurt.  We're talking generational money here.  Do you decline that?  How much are we talking for a long term deal, over $50 million for sure.  Does he say "nah, lets see if I can do better?"

If he's determined to leave Winnipeg, sure, he declines.  But boy, is that a risk.  That is the kind of money that secures your grand childrens futures.  And keeps your dad in whatever hair-brained schemes he comes up with.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Why not?  The gamble you take with trying to boost your numbers another season is that you dont...or you get hurt.  We're talking generational money here.  Do you decline that?  How much are we talking for a long term deal, over $50 million for sure.  Does he say "nah, lets see if I can do better?"

If he's determined to leave Winnipeg, sure, he declines.  But boy, is that a risk.  That is the kind of money that secures your grand childrens futures.  And keeps your dad in whatever hair-brained schemes he comes up with.

Yeah, but how often does that happen? And, you have insurance to cover you in case of a catastrophic injury.

I say, for Trouba, he's better to wait and sign next offseason. And, maybe he truly wants out and then the Jets will need to move him. Speculating of course but I don't see him getting any less per year, if he waits and maybe, he gets more.