Around The NHL 2016/2017

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Has potential.  And shoots left!!  He'll be 21 when the new season begins so he's not a kid either. 

21's not a kid?? :P

In all seriousness he looks like a good prospect and a steal in the 7th round but I wouldn't expect him in the NHL any time in the next couple years (aside from possible late-season looks or emergency call-ups).  There is a hole on the left side but it really should be filled from outside the organization.

Just now, Atomic said:

21's not a kid?? :P

In all seriousness he looks like a good prospect and a steal in the 7th round but I wouldn't expect him in the NHL any time in the next couple years (aside from possible late-season looks or emergency call-ups).  There is a hole on the left side but it really should be filled from outside the organization.

I know, it felt weird writing that. lol  But not an 18/19 year old going to the Moose for 4 years.  I'd say he could be up within a year or two, if only for injuries etc. There will always be injuries.  But if he's 22/23/24 I'd say he gets a shot.  Moose should be better, that's for sure.

I wonder if the offer Postma a two-way deal (or if he'd accept it) to keep some experience but allow him to go to the Moose cheaply. 

Someone refresh me, whats the Jets/Moose D looking like next season so far?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I know, it felt weird writing that. lol  But not an 18/19 year old going to the Moose for 4 years.  I'd say he could be up within a year or two, if only for injuries etc. There will always be injuries.  But if he's 22/23/24 I'd say he gets a shot.  Moose should be better, that's for sure.

I wonder if the offer Postma a two-way deal (or if he'd accept it) to keep some experience but allow him to go to the Moose cheaply. 

Someone refresh me, whats the Jets/Moose D looking like next season so far?

Morrissey - Trouba
Enstrom - Myers
Stuart - Byfuglien
Chiarot (RFA) - Nogier
Melchiori - Poolman
Stanley - Kostalek
Niku

Edited by Atomic

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats what I thought and rightfully so.  Was injured.  Needs to get really good and confident at that level.

FYI: I believe he's playing again as his team is in the Mem. Cup.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/05/14/stanley-full-recovered-from-knee-surgery

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

If Niku turns into anything remotely close to Enstrom pre-2013, that's huge. 

Speaking of huge, Niku is not.  165 lbs I thought I saw on twitter?!  That's like one of Buff's arms...

His Elite Prospects profile has him at 6'0" and 176lbs.  20 years old.  so he has room for improvement.  if he can get up to 190-ish.  All depends how he plays.  A little more muscle always helps.  And the Jets seem high on fitness.  Now he's under contract they can begin working with him more closely.

Some interesting remarks on Sami from Jetsnation:

Niku was projected prior to his draft-eligible season to be a second or third round pick; he then proceeded to fall on draft day. Some have speculated a disappointing international year for the Finns, while others believe that Niku’s performance in the Mestis had to do with his fall, despite the fact the left-shot defender put up 25 points in 39 games in a professional men’s league, just four points fewer in same number of games played than the second-round drafted forward Julius Nattinen.

The smooth skating offensive defender had an excellent Draft+1 year, putting up 11 points in 38 games in the Liiga with an impressive defensive showing for the gold medal Finnish World Junior team. Niku’s point per game production was the highest for under 20 defenders and the fourth highest for under 20 skaters. With a 53.8 per cent Corsi, Niku actually was one of the best shot differential rookies in the entire Liiga.

While Niku is a legitimate prospect, and is projected at providing more value than the average seventh round draft selection, one reason why Niku is so high is that organizational environment impacts the probability a player hits their celling.

No clue who this guy is - but if it means one of Vatanen, Lindholm, Manson, Theodore or Fowler shakes loose from ANA, Jets better be making some calls....

Goaltending be damned - improving the D is priority #1 for me.  Starts with getting (by force, if necessary) Trouba to sign long term. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

No clue who this guy is - but if it means one of Vatanen, Lindholm, Manson, Theodore or Fowler shakes loose from ANA, Jets better be making some calls....

Goaltending be damned - improving the D is priority #1 for me.  Starts with getting (by force, if necessary) Trouba to sign long term. 

Murray has a very impressive draft and develop record with D...

Vatanen - 4th round 2009

Fowler - 1st round 2010

Manson - 6th round 2011

Lindholm - 1st 2012

Theodore - 1st 2013

Montour - 2nd 2014

And I think he can be credited for Gardiner and Schultz...

12 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Gust Avrakotos: As long as the press sees sex and drugs behind the left hand, you can park a battle carrier behind the right hand and no one's gonna ******* notice.

Gust Avrakotos: Promises were made! 
Cravely: Not by me. 
Gust Avrakotos: I've been with the company for twenty-four years. I was posted in Greece for fifteen. I've advised and armed the Hellenic Army. I've neutralized champions of communism. I've spent the past three years... learning *Finnish!* Which would come in handy here in Virginia, and I'm never ever sick at sea. So I wanna know why... I'm not gonna be your Helsinki station chief.