Around The NHL 2016/2017

35 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Vadim is a 30 year old center.  445 GP (KHL):  137 goals & 412 points.  $3m per year?

4.5 actually.

Pretty good coin for a guy who has never played in the NHL.

For me the really interesting part of this is that it signals that Vegas wants to compete right off the bat rather than using the Chevy 5 Year Plan™.

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

4.5 actually.

Pretty good coin for a guy who has never played in the NHL.

For me the really interesting part of this is that it signals that Vegas wants to compete right off the bat rather than using the Chevy 5 Year Plan™.

Im not sure this specific player signals they intend to compete.  Paying him $4.5 per year might signal they are willing to over-pay.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not sure this specific player signals they intend to compete.  Paying him $4.5 per year might signal they are willing to over-pay.

I know nothing about the player.  I am referring to the fact that they are bringing in a 30 year old and paying him $4.5 mil for 2 years.  That doesn't say "building" to me.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I know nothing about the player.  I am referring to the fact that they are bringing in a 30 year old and paying him $4.5 mil for 2 years.  That doesn't say "building" to me.

...nor does it say "compete", to me....

I'm not trying to justify a 7 year rebuild as I would have liked to see progression faster as well but I'm not even sure how you can compare the situation Vegas is in and what Chevy inherited.  

Chevy didn't get to pluck players from every team for free. 

Im really curious to see how competitive Vegas ends up.   They get a better expansion draft then previous expansions but also no 1st overall pick.  

Reasonable to assume they will lack the high end talent, but will have decent players. Will they be just good enough to not be able to be the worst in the league an get to draft the super stars?

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm not trying to justify a 7 year rebuild as I would have liked to see progression faster as well but I'm not even sure how you can compare the situation Vegas is in and what Chevy inherited.  

Chevy didn't get to pluck players from every team for free. 

Im really curious to see how competitive Vegas ends up.   They get a better expansion draft then previous expansions but also no 1st overall pick.  

Reasonable to assume they will lack the high end talent, but will have decent players. Will they be just good enough to not be able to be the worst in the league an get to draft the super stars?

Actually I think the talent level in Vegas will be very similar to year one in Winnipeg with a similarly bare prospect cupboard.  I'd wager they will hover around just below the playoff line in their first year.  Beyond that, we'll see what McPhee can come up with.  It will take some time to build their prospect base but they should start off with a nice set of second-line, second-pairing type players and an average goalie.  Very similar to Winnipeg in year one indeed.

Ah, come on fellas.

Shipachyov has the potential to be a legitimate first line center. Artemi Panarin coming over and succeeding has put a lot more interest into bringing guys like this in to play. VS has better numbers than Panarin did, and he plays the middle of the ice ... great signing.

I'd bet a good chunk Vegas signs Dadonov as well. They're going to be interesting to watch. Dadonov and Shipachyov were almost certainly a package deal. I bet Dadonov signs for same term, maybe 1m-1.5m cheaper annually.

40 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Two-year deal, $9 million is 4.5/yr unless they left out optional year.

One less expansion pick.

Dont they HAVE to pick one player from each team?  But they also need more than 30 players (and surely there will be some deals for picks).

And yes, I goofed on the simple math lol

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Dont they HAVE to pick one player from each team?  But they also need more than 30 players (and surely there will be some deals for picks).

And yes, I goofed on the simple math lol

Yes. They still have to take 30 players 

23 man roster so they could take guys who maybe they can trade for picks or something 

A popular thought is they draft Raanta from the NYR.  He's a goalie but because they have 2 draft 2 other goalies they trade him to WPG for lets say a 3rd and prospect who can play in the Ahl or maybe a guy In junior or ncaa or even Russia still 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Vadim is a 30 year old center.  445 GP (KHL):  137 goals & 412 points.  $3m per year?

I'm just thinking back in the old days when San Jose,  Tampa Bay, Florida started in the league...   I remember playing NHL '94 on the Super Nintendo and those teams were loaded with absolutely terrible 20 points per year kind of guys.

Taking a shot and signing a KHL star for a few years is worth the risk.

I think a lot of fans are looking at the expansion draft like Vegas is going to take their best player who is not protected but I am sure some of the picks will be very different from the expectation.  For example they are going to need to take some young guys on 2-way contracts... if they have enough top-9/top-4 players then they might ignore a guy like Perreault in favour of a Marko Dano for example.  There might even be some picks that seem really strange to a team's fans, like taking Melchiori from us or something similar to that.

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They do but by paying one guy big bucks that means one expansion player available making a good amount might not be picked.

That's my theory.

Your theory is wrong. 

Bottom line there will be no superstars to pick. There will be lots of 3rd and 4th line players and maybe a couple 2nd line guys available but the guys making big money all have no trade or no move clauses and will be protected.  But don't kid yourself here if a good player making 5 6 million a year was available they'd be stupid not to pick him. 

Jets .. buff gets 7.5 

Scheif is 6.125 

Wheels Around 5 . So Is little 

4.5 million is nothing 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The World Championship you mean and he has no say as its not an NHL event 

or whatever the NHL created as an excuse to stop NHLers from going to the olympics, I mean what he could have done is leave some kind of option open where if players compete at this then they shouldn't go to the olympics or something or other, but even you will say my idea is BS

1 minute ago, iHeart said:

or whatever the NHL created as an excuse to stop NHLers from going to the olympics, I mean what he could have done is leave some kind of option open where if players compete at this then they shouldn't go to the olympics or something or other, but even you will say my idea is BS

Well they didn't stop going to the Olympics because of the world cup because the world cup was around b4. I'd imagine they said no to the Olympics because it's in Korea and not far from there is a crazy little man who is crazy enough to start crap during the winter Olympics.  Basically no hockey at all in Korea also so they gain nothing by going they will go to China in 2022 tho.