Around The NHL 2016/2017

14 hours ago, iHeart said:

if LA and the Blues keep sucking and we try to keep winning, then we can sneak in from behind and neither team is playing tonight

Try to keep winning? Last night, we started Hutch in goal and defender, in his first game in the NHL, got 12 minutes.

I'm not sure we're trying to win, we're just not losing.

Id be fine if they sent the best juniors.  Would still be really good hockey and seeing those kids win medals would be awesome.

I can see the owners perspective.  If you have several players go, because you have a team with many great players, it can really impact you, especially if there are injuries.  And in February?  Tough time to do it.  Wont matter to the jets since we'd be eliminated from the playoffs by then.  But its the biggest stage in the world to showcase your league. 

Presumably, they want to be China.  The Olympics should play hardball and tell the NHL if they dont go to South Korea, they dont go to China.

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Id be fine if they sent the best juniors.  Would still be really good hockey and seeing those kids win medals would be awesome.

I can see the owners perspective.  If you have several players go, because you have a team with many great players, it can really impact you, especially if there are injuries.  And in February?  Tough time to do it.  Wont matter to the jets since we'd be eliminated from the playoffs by then.  But its the biggest stage in the world to showcase your league. 

Presumably, they want to be China.  The Olympics should play hardball and tell the NHL if they dont go to South Korea, they dont go to China.

Who makes the decision that all countries need to send Jr age players though?  Could this even be a decision?

I would think Russia and maybe even Sweden & Finland would prefer sending pro's from their own leagues if the NHL is out. 

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Because it's the Olympics.

So, then our team will be limited to our best 17, 18, and 19 year olds? Well, probably not the 19 year-olds because they'll be in the NHL.

It would be a crying shame if we sent our juniors because the owners can't make the connection between the health of hockey and the health of the NHL.

And then we throw the CHL schedule into chaos or just take out some of the best players right before (or into) the playoffs.

Edited by JCon

Just now, JCon said:

So, then our team will be limited to our best 17, 18, and 19 year olds? Well, probably not the 19 year-olds because they'll be in the NHL.

It would be a crying shame if we sent our juniors because the owners can't make the connection between the health of hockey and the health of the NHL.

Oh I agree.  But if its not the NHL I'd like to see the juniors.  I guess it doesnt really matter.  Im not really sure what the NHL issue is.  They claimed it was about insurance but that issue was resolved.  They dont mind screwing with the season for their own World Cup because they directly benefit in cash.  But they benefit a lot from the Olympics too.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh I agree.  But if its not the NHL I'd like to see the juniors.  I guess it doesnt really matter.  Im not really sure what the NHL issue is.  They claimed it was about insurance but that issue was resolved.  They dont mind screwing with the season for their own World Cup because they directly benefit in cash.  But they benefit a lot from the Olympics too.

Did the IOC agree to pay the insurance?

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Speaking of which, how did Nogier look?

Thought he was all right but not see much in 3rd. Morrissey only negative Jet last night?

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Don't we already have an annual  World Jr Championship? How does adding another tournament, less than two months later, add to hockey? Or tell a different story?

You dump the WJC's every 4 years.

Just like we should eliminate the World Curling Champ and replace it with Olympics every 4 years.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought he was all right but not see much in 3rd. Morrissey only negative Jet last night?

You dump the WJC's every 4 years.

Just like we should eliminate the World Curling Champ and replace it with Olympics every 4 years.

But the WJC is a cash cow for Hockey Canada. The money they make gets pumped back into the lower tiers of the game. I wouldn't be in favour of dumping the WJC just to appease the IOC.

Also, curlers aren't rich. They should be given allowed to have an annual world championship. I don't see why you would dump that for Olympics? No other sport cancels their world championships just for the Olympics.

Just now, JCon said:

But the WJC is a cash cow for Hockey Canada. The money they make gets pumped back into the lower tiers of the game. I wouldn't be in favour of dumping the WJC just to appease the IOC.

Also, curlers aren't rich. They should be given allowed to have an annual world championship. I don't see why you would dump that for Olympics? No other sport cancels their world championships just for the Olympics.

In an Oympic year the Canadian champs mean nothing as two of the best teams in the country do not participate.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How do they benefit from the Olympics?  Tangible things, I mean.  Is there revenue coming their way?  Increased viewership for the NHL?  Marketing opportunities for the players? Not trying to be combative, but these are legit questions. 

I won't defend the "World Cup" or whatever that was a few months back, because that was a joke, but tough to compare - one event was before the season, one smack dab in the middle.

I'm not really sure why people have such a hard time grasping the league's / owners position on this.  Like is it just about the Olympics being the Olympics, NHLers = best players in the world, therefore NHL must be at Olympics?   That just seems like such a simplistic view.....which is fine.  I agree to an extent.   But I realize the NHL is business.  How does going help business? 

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

How do they benefit from the Olympics?  Tangible things, I mean.  Is there revenue coming their way?  Increased viewership for the NHL?  Marketing opportunities for the players? Not trying to be combative, but these are legit questions. 

I won't defend the "World Cup" or whatever that was a few months back, because that was a joke, but tough to compare - one event was before the season, one smack dab in the middle.

I'm not really sure why people have such a hard time grasping the league's / owners position on this.  Like is it just about the Olympics being the Olympics, NHLers = best players in the world, therefore NHL must be at Olympics?   That just seems like such a simplistic view.....which is fine.  I agree to an extent.   But I realize the NHL is business.  How does going help business? 

Its widely considered a big deal to showcase the NHL in China since China is an untapped market.  They do have a KHL team though.  Everyone wants to break into China because of its massive population.

As the featured event of the Winter Olympics, the NHL gets major coverage of its players on every network around the clock.  Its a fantastic marketing thing for little to no cost to the NHL, aside from shutting down their league for a couple of weeks and taking the chance of injury de-railing one of the member teams.

I cant tell you about direct benefit or if there is even real evidence of that.  But I can tell you its pretty tremendous for those two weeks and that has to benefit the NHL.

I know the NHL loves it when the time zone works out better to showcase the games live.  And they want to be in China.  So if Im the Olympics I make them commit to all the Olympics, not just the ones that have a greater benefit to the NHL.  Clearly its a benefit to the Olympics (and their broadcast deals).

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its widely considered a big deal to showcase the NHL in China since China is an untapped market.  They do have a KHL team though.  Everyone wants to break into China because of its massive population.

As the featured event of the Winter Olympics, the NHL gets major coverage of its players on every network around the clock.  Its a fantastic marketing thing for little to no cost to the NHL, aside from shutting down their league for a couple of weeks and taking the chance of injury de-railing one of the member teams.

I cant tell you about direct benefit or if there is even real evidence of that.  But I can tell you its pretty tremendous for those two weeks and that has to benefit the NHL.

I know the NHL loves it when the time zone works out better to showcase the games live.  And they want to be in China.  So if Im the Olympics I make them commit to all the Olympics, not just the ones that have a greater benefit to the NHL.  Clearly its a benefit to the Olympics (and their broadcast deals).

I suspect anyone with more in depth knowledge of the league than us would not call a league-wide season shutdown and potential injury to marquee players little to no cost.  But we can agree to disagree there.

I don't have sources directly in front of me, so I'll eat crow if necessary - but Olympic rights holders severely limit (or restrict completely?)  content the NHL can produce.  Crosby's "golden goal" - a huge highlight for any Canadian hockey fan - try finding that video on youtube.  Not very easy! 

The bolded I completely agree with - but that's what the problem is!  Players, fans, anyone on the side of going to the games - that's all that can be provided to support going!  That it's entertaining is good enough for you & me, but I'm not going to fault the league (read: owners) for thinking that's not enough.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I suspect anyone with more in depth knowledge of the league than us would not call a league-wide season shutdown and potential injury to marquee players little to no cost.  But we can agree to disagree there.

I don't have sources directly in front of me, so I'll eat crow if necessary - but Olympic rights holders severely limit (or restrict completely?)  content the NHL can produce.  Crosby's "golden goal" - a huge highlight for any Canadian hockey fan - try finding that video on youtube.  Not very easy! 

The bolded I completely agree with - but that's what the problem is!  Players, fans, anyone on the side of going to the games - that's all that can be provided to support going!  That it's entertaining is good enough for you & me, but I'm not going to fault the league (read: owners) for thinking that's not enough.

Well I'd simply say the fact they've gone for several Games would indicate there is a substantial benefit.

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well I'd simply say the fact they've gone for several Games would indicate there is a substantial benefit.

And I'd say the fact they're so anti-going this year indicates the benefits in previous years weren't substantial enough, at least not from their point of view.

- This year proved a condensed schedule doesn't work.  It would never happen, because $$$, but ideally in an Olympic year, just play say 70 regular season games.  Don't condense the schedule, no bye weeks needed. 

- Can't see this happening either, but what about moving ice hockey to the summer games with field hockey.  Don't know the IOC would want to accommodate the NHL like that, but that would avoid the schedule conflict all together.  Other benefit here would be the injury factor.  Guys get hurt at the Olys in July - still time to recover before season stats.  Yeah, that would be rough on players not having an offseason, but it's only the best of the best that are affected anyways, I think they could handle it. 

- Above point highlights just how unique the situation is to the NHL.  NFL & MLB players don't have the olympics.  NBA players do, but not during their season.