Around The NHL 2016/2017

Well we dont know what he might become.  He has upside.  Could he eventually be a 4th D?  Maybe.  Most likely he's a solid bottom pairing on a good team.  Which fits the bill as far as what the Jets need.  A consistent solid bottom pairing would be great.

No reason to believe Myers' doesnt return next season fully healthy after surgery.  If fully healthy, he's a bonafide top 4 D (top 2 on many teams).  How the Jets fit them all together is the issue.

Myers probably slips to 3RHD with Poolman going to the 3LHD role.  They can increase Myers' ice time with special teams.

Even better might be consideration of a trade involving Buff which would bring back something nice and clear the way for Trouba/Myers/Poolman as the top right hand D.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

35 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

In my mind Chevy has to trade O to get D and Myers is the leading contender. What sayeth the angry mob o fans?

I think if I had to trade Buff or Myers...its tough.  Myers has a great contract and is more consistent than Buff.  His contract isnt forever though.  Buff is the better high end player.  Buff is the type that gets you over the top but he isnt doing much to get us there. 

I guess I'd trade Myers.  But that's relying on Buff being good Buff and the Jets making the playoffs where good Buff can really shine.  If Buff doesnt care, get rid of him.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think if I had to trade Buff or Myers...its tough.  Myers has a great contract and is more consistent than Buff.  His contract isnt forever though.  Buff is the better high end player.  Buff is the type that gets you over the top but he isnt doing much to get us there. 

I guess I'd trade Myers.  But that's relying on Buff being good Buff and the Jets making the playoffs where good Buff can really shine.  If Buff doesnt care, get rid of him.

Thing with Buff is, you get good Buff when you play him less.

Give him 22-24 minutes tops each game and you'll get the good Buff.

Then you trade him when his stock is up.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

And, if he goes back for one more year at UND, he's a UFA, right?

Lawless had another tweet on the subject.... I can't embed it right now but it stated that Poolman becomes a UFA but still in the ELC system on August 15 (meaning he still must sign an entry-level deal), but if he goes back for another year he is a pure UFA with no restrictions whatsoever.

He can't play this year due to injury so if I'm him there is no way I sign with the Jets now.  But maybe they can find a reason for him to do so.

The incentive to sign with the Jets before the end of the season was that he could play one game and use up one year of a two year ELC.  But as it now comes out, all he had to do was wait til June and he'd be able to sign a one year ELC anyway. 

So really, he's in the driver's seat.

The ELC vs UFA doesnt really matter.  Because either way, he is playing a year.  Would you rather play a year in North Dakota and be a UFA or sign a one year deal in the NHL, make big money and still be a UFA in one year? 

Can an NHL team offer him a multi-year deal where Year One is the ELC restrictions and Year 2-4 (or whatever) are whatever theyn negotiate or does it have to be a one year deal.  Period.  Then sign a new deal?  And if so, cant a player sign a new contract a year in advance?  So couldn't he technically sign a one year ELC with the Jets (or anyone) this summer AND also sign a 3 year extension at the same time for non-ELC money to begin after the ELC expires?

Its likely all moot.  He either wants to sign here due to the relationship built up over the years or he wants to pick his team (of teams interested).

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The NHL Announces: Protected & Available Lists for Expansion Draft will be made public simultaneously with their distribution to the Clubs. Date TBD.

It's for the best, and there's no reason why this should be a secret.  Just because you aren't protected doesn't mean the team doesn't want you.

10 minutes ago, mbrg said:

It's for the best, and there's no reason why this should be a secret.  Just because you aren't protected doesn't mean the team doesn't want you.

Gotta think the players would find out anyways if they really wanted to.  This is the smart, fan friendly move and I'm surprised they did it.

Some players are going to have to answer the inevitable questions from media -

"They didn't protect you... do you feel insulted, belittled, betrayed, disrespected or slighted in any way???"

"I guess it doesn't feel great, but it's not a big deal."

Headline.  JETS PLAYERS FURIOUS AFTER BEING LEFT UNPROTECTED.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah I agree. It's great but awkward for players and teams to a degree. Very very surprised Nhl would do it. I think it adds pressure to teams to make moves in a way. 

Definitely ups the fan involvement in the expansion draft. Great move 

The NHL could have kept silent. If you're not picked you've either got NTC or they really like you :)