cautiously excited for week two

9 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Yeah, Mike.

Exactly! I have to admit that I have a bias for Dave Dickenson. I know him personally & we're friends. We met when he came back from BC to Calgary. He coached my son in the off season & eventually he started the Dave Dickenson Passing Academy. I got to know him because of that. We'll go for lunch & talk in the off season. I leave him alone during the season though.

Edited by iso_55

On 29/06/2016 at 10:11 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Funny- I feel the same way.  We win on Friday.

I would have him instead of Lapo- but not over MOS.   I have a feeling that if we show MOS as much patience as he shows the players, it will pay off HUGE in the near future. 

If we don't make the playoffs this year then he needs to go.   

3 straight non-playoff years in the cfl is nowhere near acceptable.

26 minutes ago, basslicker said:

If we don't make the playoffs this year then he needs to go.   

3 straight non-playoff years in the cfl is nowhere near acceptable.

The problem is that if you fire MOS it's still the ineffectual Kyle Walters at GM. Unless you think we have all sorts of talent and the coaches are simply not getting the best out of it... but me I think this team lacks talent more than it lacks coaching. 

Well, I like.... and am rooting for this HC and GM.  Really am.

But, we are certainly lacking something.  MOS is 12-26.  The Bombers under Walters, are 14-35.   To say that is bad....is a understatement - not even close to being good enough.....

O'Shea is in the last year of his contract, Walters is up, next year. 

We went all in in free agency, and have a club that is at least better on paper.     It is too early to write things off....this team could make some noise.   But this fan base needs to hear it, real soon.  Thumbing through the ole Bomber excuse book, after another string of losses, is simply not going to placate anyone, at this point........nor should it.

We can talk patience, right until the lost cows come home.   But, in professional sports.....results count, and failure eventually walks.

Edited by do or die

IMO cautiously optimistic or excited, as the OP said, means that even though people really hope something is going to happen (and are really positive about it) they still have their doubts. This is probably where most Bomber fans are right now with this team/coaching staff/gm. Honestly I've been at this point since November of 2011 when the team lost the Grey Cup to BC, which was also the last playoff game this team has been involved in. I hope things change images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Fz5zmdfovZpBrgh9_ck ...

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The problem is that if you fire MOS it's still the ineffectual Kyle Walters at GM. Unless you think we have all sorts of talent and the coaches are simply not getting the best out of it... but me I think this team lacks talent more than it lacks coaching. 

I like Walter's work, other than his scouting, much better than O'Shea's. I do think we had the player talent last year to do better and the player talent this year to be a playoff team. Walters has an extra year on his contract and GM's usually get to fire at least one HC before they get fired.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I like Walter's work, other than his scouting, much better than O'Shea's. I do think we had the player talent last year to do better and the player talent this year to be a playoff team. Walters has an extra year on his contract and GM's usually get to fire at least one HC before they get fired.

It was Walters not O'Shea that put such a poor OL on the field and had no qb depth behind Willy so I don't buy your argument. Our receivers besides the oft injured Moore were pretty terrible last year as well and I am not convinced that we are really any better at that position this year either with Dressler on the shelf. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It was Walters not O'Shea that put such a poor OL on the field and had no qb depth behind Willy so I don't buy your argument. Our receivers besides the oft injured Moore were pretty terrible last year as well and I am not convinced that we are really any better at that position this year either with Dressler on the shelf. 

Player wise, last years O line was better than it performed as a whole, which comes down to coaching. We decided we didn't want Sorensen or Greaves and they got Grey Cup rings on Edmonton. Those kind of decisions rarely are on the GM. The coaches tell him what players they want and don't want. The GM gets as much as possible for players that aren't wanted anymore. Better OC would have helped the offensive performance even with a below avg O Line and an average receiving core... the OC decision is O'Shea's.

QB depth is on Walters scouting department and on O'Shea/MB's talent assessment. Walters did make a trade mid-season last year to try and fix it. The fact it didn't work isn't on Walters. He got the best available QB he could.

51 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Player wise, last years O line was better than it performed as a whole, which comes down to coaching. We decided we didn't want Sorensen or Greaves and they got Grey Cup rings on Edmonton. Those kind of decisions rarely are on the GM. The coaches tell him what players they want and don't want. The GM gets as much as possible for players that aren't wanted anymore. Better OC would have helped the offensive performance even with a below avg O Line and an average receiving core... the OC decision is O'Shea's.

QB depth is on Walters scouting department and on O'Shea/MB's talent assessment. Walters did make a trade mid-season last year to try and fix it. The fact it didn't work isn't on Walters. He got the best available QB he could.

Best available backup last year was Kevin Glenn...  it was up to Walters to bring him in despite any 'history'...

Best available backup this off-season was Trevor Harris.  Instead we doubled down on Nichols.

Osh is not calling the shots on what QB talent is brought in...

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Best available backup last year was Kevin Glenn...  it was up to Walters to bring him in despite any 'history'...

Best available backup this off-season was Trevor Harris.  Instead we doubled down on Nichols.

Osh is not calling the shots on what QB talent is brought in...

1st there's no way of knowing Walters didn't try to get Glenn.

2nd I believe he was injured when we ended up trading for Nichols

3rd I thought Glenn didn't go to MTL till close to the end of the year, if I'm remembering correctly that likely means he wasn't available until well after the Bombers were trying to save the season.

I'd be surprised if any QB in the league has Winnipeg as their #1 choice of playing destinations right now. If we were a very good team close to winning a cup that might be different.

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Great debate in here today.  I see flaws in both Walters and O'Shea but I do still have lots of hope for this season.  I'd rather see us not fire either one. 

Walters probably has a longer leash, but O'Shea has had plenty of time to produce, not necessarily a Grey Cup contender but a team that is able to compete in almost every game. I see the deadline as Labour Day, but if they are 2 and 6, I cannot believe that Walters and Miller will support him any longer.

27 minutes ago, tracker said:

Walters probably has a longer leash, but O'Shea has had plenty of time to produce, not necessarily a Grey Cup contender but a team that is able to compete in almost every game. I see the deadline as Labour Day, but if they are 2 and 6, I cannot believe that Walters and Miller will support him any longer.

I'd give them the year, regardless.  I don't believe in firing coaches mid-season, generally, and certainly there's no reason to fire a GM mid-season.  Firing O'Shea at 2-6 means Lapo gets promoted, maybe he goes 5-5 in the softer part of the schedule and now we give Lapo a big head coach contract like he's gonna save the team.  No thanks.

But this is all so premature.  If Winnipeg beats Calgary I bet all is forgiven and you'll be seeing fireworks in the skies of Winnipeg tomorrow night.........

Edited by Atomic

In order for this team to progress to the next level we have to be able to win games against teams like Calgary & Edmonton in their home stadiums. If we can do that then confidence builds with the players & good things happen. C'mon Bombers get that win tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

In order for this team to progress to the next level we have to be able to win games against teams like Calgary & Edmonton in their home stadiums. If we can do that then confidence builds with the players & good things happen. C'mon Bombers get that win tomorrow.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the next level. Do you mean winning on the road?

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the next level. Do you mean winning on the road?

Going from a 3-15 & perennial sad sack team  to a 13-5 team that is serious contender for the Grey Cup. That's what I mean as the Next Level.

6 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Going from a 3-15 & perennial sad sack team  to a 13-5 team that is serious contender for the Grey Cup. That's what I mean as the Next Level.

Oh. lol. I think there might be a level or two between there but I get what you mean.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

Oh. lol. I think there might be a level or two between there but I get what you mean.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

Oh for sure. One step at a time.