general trade thread to spit ball ideas

Ducky

Scuttlebutt around HF (I dont follow HF much but they say these speculations come from 'vetted' posters) is Rangers, Arizona and Boston most in on Trouba.

I like Arizona.  I know the ask seems to be a player that steps in right now to replace Trouba.  But the speculation is that Coyotes have so many good young forwards, they might over-pay.  Say Strome and Chychrun.  Then Jets use their abundance of forwards to trade for a top 4 LHD who isnt as good as Trouba but maybe is older, more expensive but with a shorter contract.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Scuttlebutt around HF (I dont follow HF much but they say these speculations come from 'vetted' posters) is Rangers, Arizona and Boston most in on Trouba.

I like Arizona.  I know the ask seems to be a player that steps in right now to replace Trouba.  But the speculation is that Coyotes have so many good young forwards, they might over-pay.  Say Strome and Chychrun.  Then Jets use their abundance of forwards to trade for a top 4 LHD who isnt as good as Trouba but maybe is older, more expensive but with a shorter contract.

Bob Mckenzie reported the same thing yesterday.

"I can think of four teams - maybe more - that have a really significant interest in this player but don't have the proper fit right now.   That would be Arizona, Boston, Colorado, and the New York Rangers, among others."

I think getting hung up on Trouba having to go for a similar young player is just asking for no trade to be made. Better off moving him for help at another position and some prospects because there are honestly options on the left side at defense that could come in as stop gap measures until some prospects develop. Hell Kris Russell is still unsigned and while he's not as good as he once was the guy can still play. That's just the first example out there too. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think getting hung up on Trouba having to go for a similar young player is just asking for no trade to be made. Better off moving him for help at another position and some prospects because there are honestly options on the left side at defense that could come in as stop gap measures until some prospects develop. Hell Kris Russell is still unsigned and while he's not as good as he once was the guy can still play. That's just the first example out there too. 

I agree.  If you cant get *that* player, what are you going to do?  Never sign Trouba, never trade him?  If you can make a side deal using your forward depth to bring in defensive help, do it.  Then trade Trouba for a package that consists of really really good prospects/young players/picks.  I know people want to win now, but getting an 18 year old, 20 year old whatever, its not a bad thing.

We developed a player. If we're losing him, we should really get a developed player back. We need a better player than Russell. Maybe that player, as Unknown suggested, is available for cheap (but at the end of a higher end contract).

I could go for a prospect if we're getting two blue chippers in return. But they have to be great.

54 minutes ago, JCon said:

We developed a player. If we're losing him, we should really get a developed player back. We need a better player than Russell. Maybe that player, as Unknown suggested, is available for cheap (but at the end of a higher end contract).

I could go for a prospect if we're getting two blue chippers in return. But they have to be great.

Exactly.  So even if Chychrun, for example is highly touted, the fact he's 2-3 years away means his value to the Jets is less.  So Arizona has to add.  On the flip side, Chych is expansion exempt so that does add some value.  Throw in Strome and a pick or whatever.  Doesnt help the Jets on D but allows them to flip Petan, Armia, etc for better D help.

I dont know...its complicated.  I think the trade will be like the Kane trade.  Multiple pieces.

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Exactly.  So even if Chychrun, for example is highly touted, the fact he's 2-3 years away means his value to the Jets is less.  So Arizona has to add.  On the flip side, Chych is expansion exempt so that does add some value.  Throw in Strome and a pick or whatever.  Doesnt help the Jets on D but allows them to flip Petan, Armia, etc for better D help.

I dont know...its complicated.  I think the trade will be like the Kane trade.  Multiple pieces.

Maybe even multiple teams.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It doesn't take Edmonton's side into account though... Chia talked about trading Hall for Larsson, he said he identified Larsson as his target for several reasons including the fact that he played tough matchups on the top pairing and came out looking great defensively and Chia believed he had more offense to give and maybe more importantly he was signed to a low contract. Those are two things Trouba can't say, he's looking for big money and hasn't had that top pairing level Larsson had. Even when trying to get Larsson out of New Jersey he didn't come in offering Hall, Hall was the piece he had to give to make the deal happen and he only did it because he felt so strongly about the player. 

Trouba having no contract doesn't help the case for trading him for a massive return. Someone has to like him that much and believe they can sign him to a number that works. We saw how the Isles made out on the trade front by demanding a player of similar value for Hamonic, and at least in Hamonics case they had reason to be patient, he was under contract and wasn't going to sit out on them. 

When people demand trades you never get as much as you want because ideally you want to keep said player and the value to you is way higher than it is to anyone else. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

We developed a player. If we're losing him, we should really get a developed player back.

well that might be how it works in fantasy land but the real world is a lot harsher. Other teams know that Winnipeg is at a disadvantage in this situation and no one wants to tinker that much with what they've already built at this point in the year they will be reluctant to give up already developed players. Teams get attached to their developed players. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

well that might be how it works in fantasy land but the real world is a lot harsher. Other teams know that Winnipeg is at a disadvantage in this situation and no one wants to tinker that much with what they've already built at this point in the year they will be reluctant to give up already developed players. Teams get attached to their developed players. 

What disadvantage are we in? We have top pairing right-handed defender who we control for four more years. He's in demand.

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

An anomaly because Buffalo was in full on fire-sale mode and willing to be raped. Good luck finding that situation again...

BS they thought they were getting full value and the fact that Kane was out for the season helped them tank. They did not think they were getting raped believe me..........Chevy used lotsa lube.

Edited by Ducky
can't spell season

22 minutes ago, Ducky said:

BS they thought they were getting full value and the fact that Kane was out for the season helped them tank. They did not think they were getting raped believe me..........Chevy used lotsa lube.

True. But it worked because Buffalo wanted to lose so they gained a valuable asset who wasn't going to play be rest of the season. Pretty rare a team gives up what Buffalo did for a player that is injured. Buffalo wanted talent out and nothing in return (that season anyway). 

On 9/28/2016 at 1:25 PM, JCon said:

I think we also have to take into consideration that Trouba isn't necessarily a slam dunk when it comes to how good he and/or his agent thinks he is, no? I'd sit on this for a while, let the season unfold and see what team(s) become desperate through injury, lack of production etc.

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

He's one of the best d 23 and under in the league.  Not sure why people think this kid isn't good. He was anchored with mark Stuart for God's sake. 

I'm not suggesting 'this kid' is not good. Obviously he is. All I'm saying is there may be debate in where he ranks in 'one of the best' based on his current body of work in the NHL.