general trade thread to spit ball ideas

Ducky

23 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think Carle is the next salary dump trade we see.

Judging by that trade, Lemieux and Petan are too much for Drouin.

The Bolts are in tough with their upcoming RFAs this year. They have 6 or 7 RFAs that need to be dealt with this off-season. Kucerov and Killorn will want serious raises. Then there's Stamkos. I wouldn't re-sign him if I were them (I would for about 6.5m per x 6 years)) but I think Yzerman will go after him hard.

If Yzerman had any intention to go hard after Stamkos, he would have made a top line offer while he has exclusive negotiating rights.  Either Yzerman isn’t coming up to what Stamkos wants or Stamkos wants to leave.

Is it possible that Stamkos over values what he can get with where the cap is in the NHL today?  Possible. But he won’t find that out until Free Agency.  At which point it will likely be too late to make this kind of deal with another team because their cap space will be going to free agents.

So Yzerman would have to gamble away Drouin now to free up cap space so he has a chance of signing Stamkos in free agency, and if his gamble fails and he doesn’t get Stamkos, then he got under market value on Drouin for no good reason.

He has $19M in cap space right now.  Decide which RFAs you want long term, bridge the others to work around Carle’s salary for 2 years, and trade whoever is left and get full market value in picks and prospects on your return to compliment your roster over the upcoming years instead of having to take a discount to dump salary.

That would seem a much more reasonable line of thinking when you aren’t painted in a corner and have to dump salary.

I thought this was one of my least far-fetched trades yet...

Put up a poll on HFBoards and get the hockey community's opinion at large.  Better yet, put it up in Tampa Bay section.

Id like to have Teravainen and would have been thrilled if the Jets had made that trade.  But never ever would Tampa trade Drouin for Teravainen.

Lemieux and Petan might be worth Drouin...in three years.  We dont know what we have there.  We have a junior player and an AHL'er who showed nothing in his short sting in the NHL.  If you want Drouin, start with the #2 pick and move up. 

I thought Petan looked good on his second "sting" when he was playing on a line with Armia and Copp.  That line had a lot of jump.  Actually my favorite part of the season was the post-Ladd segment when ESW really started to take off, and the other lines all started contributing.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

If Yzerman had any intention to go hard after Stamkos, he would have made a top line offer while he has exclusive negotiating rights.  Either Yzerman isn’t coming up to what Stamkos wants or Stamkos wants to leave.

Is it possible that Stamkos over values what he can get with where the cap is in the NHL today?  Possible. But he won’t find that out until Free Agency.  At which point it will likely be too late to make this kind of deal with another team because their cap space will be going to free agents.

So Yzerman would have to gamble away Drouin now to free up cap space so he has a chance of signing Stamkos in free agency, and if his gamble fails and he doesn’t get Stamkos, then he got under market value on Drouin for no good reason.

He has $19M in cap space right now.  Decide which RFAs you want long term, bridge the others to work around Carle’s salary for 2 years, and trade whoever is left and get full market value in picks and prospects on your return to compliment your roster over the upcoming years instead of having to take a discount to dump salary.

That would seem a much more reasonable line of thinking when you aren’t painted in a corner and have to dump salary.

Put up a poll on HFBoards and get the hockey community's opinion at large.  Better yet, put it up in Tampa Bay section.

the money they free up doesn't HAVE to go towards signing Stamkos but gives them leverage to keep RFAs and maybe sign someone like Okposo or someone in free agency.

If they don't sign Stamkos and don't have Carle's contract as a burden, they can do a lot more with their roster.

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

the money they free up doesn't HAVE to go towards signing Stamkos but gives them leverage to keep RFAs and maybe sign someone like Okposo or someone in free agency.

If they don't sign Stamkos and don't have Carle's contract as a burden, they can do a lot more with their roster.

So you want to trade a Grade A prospect with top line potential, who is making under a million dollars next year, to free up cap space to sign Okposo in free agency?

Got it.

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Here's my imaginary trade...

Carle and Bishop to Calgary for TJ Brodie and Kylington

Assuming Fleury is traded, I think he will end up in Calgary. Pens will be happy to take picks/prospects back b/c of their cap situation. Plus I think Calgary will prefer him b/c he's got a few years left on a fairly reasonable deal.

I think Dallas would be interested too but they'd have to unload at least one of their goalies and the Pens wont be taking that salary back.

Just clicking around some Fleury speculation I see the Jets as an outside possibility.  I wouldnt hate that at all.  But not likely.  As for Calgary, the fans want the #6 pick which wont happen unless the Pens throw in more.  But I've seen Frolik speculated since the Pens were interested in him.  That would be a solid return for the Pens who already have depth at forward although they should probably get some D help.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Calgary has apparently contacted the Pens about Fleury, Pitt would like to keep him but the feeling is that Fleury will be moved and the though is with Calgary, they have 2 2nd round picks and that should be enough to get Fleury. Fleury isn't getting 6th overall, not a chance. Calgary isn't trading 6th overall either... It's gonna be Fleury to Calgary for both of Calgarys 2nd round picks. 

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Seguin. Benn. Spezza probably disagree. 

Dallas traded rights to goligoski today tho to Arizona for a 5th round pick. 

Benn and Sequin are not trade bait.  Now try and think of someone that you'd package with Niemi.

trade of the day...

Barzal and Pulock and Hamonic

for

Myers and Lemieux and Lowry and next year's 1st rounder (lottery protected)

or

Myers and Perreault and Lowry and Lemieux and 3rd round pick in 2017...

Laine Scheif Wheeler Petan Little Armia Connor Barzal Ehlers Burmi Copp Dano

Trouba-Buff

Enstrom-Hamonic

Morrissey-Pulock

Pavs Hutch

Edited by Ducky