Game Day - Operations Improvements

ALuCsRED

Just now, 17to85 said:

No I am simply saying that if bitching about the food served at the stadium is something you find acceptable your priorities are all screwed up. You're going there to watch a football game not have a fine dining experience. It's like going to mcdonalds and asking where the steak is. 

No one is asking for fine dining.

I agree there is a certain standard for food and service you expect at a sporting event.   Having been to pretty much every Bombers game since the new stadium opened, they rarely even meet that standard.  

Though I admit I pretty much stopped going to the generic vendors this past season.  Whoever they contract for these food kiosks has a real training problem.  I usually stick to Clay Oven, Shwarma, or hot dog vendors outside the stadium (Bombers lose money on this, as even if they are paying for being there, it certainly isn't the markup they get on their $10 hot dog ).

Just now, Rich said:

Though I admit I pretty much stopped going to the generic vendors this past season.  Whoever they contract for these food kiosks has a real training problem.  I usually stick to Clay Oven, Shwarma, or hot dog vendors outside the stadium (Bombers lose money on this, as even if they are paying for being there, it certainly isn't the markup they get on their $10 hot dog ).

It's too bad they can't get these guys inside the gate. The dogs are way better than anything inside, and it would be nice to support the local guys.

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

What types of food are people looking for?

The most frustrating thing I've found with the "generic" vendors at the stadium is the lack of training of their staff.  I get these people only work together a dozen times a year in a high turnover job, but the wait time to get overpriced cold food makes it the three strike rule.

I expect it to be over priced.  Just watching how these people operate behind the counter, the wait times could be addressed with better training and guidance.  

Training should also theoretically fix the cold / quality problem as well, though I get there are limitations when you have all of your business come at the same times (pre game and half time).

last few games I went to,  they tried to stop me at the gate with my smokey and poutine but when they realized it was from that truck (name escapes me, but it's an actual cook inside the truck vendor, not a little hotdog cart) they let me through. I couldnt bring the drink I brought in though I guess cuz people could spike their drinks, but food was ok'd.  They posted a $1 extra charge sign on the window you order from and the woman explained to me it's to pay for an extra fee they were being charged to allow for this,  so the WBB can recoup some money not made by people ordering outside the gates.  or something like that.   

I've had to the $10 hotdog, never again

food and booze isnt the main reason people go to the game, but it is certainly a big contributing factor to the game day experience.  In the end a win cures all,  but it doesn't help if while watching the game your paying for expensively bad food. you could say it leaves a bad taste in your mouth... hmm hmm anyone? 

27 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

last few games I went to,  they tried to stop me at the gate with my smokey and poutine but when they realized it was from that truck (name escapes me, but it's an actual cook inside the truck vendor, not a little hotdog cart) they let me through. I couldnt bring the drink I brought in though I guess cuz people could spike their drinks, but food was ok'd.  They posted a $1 extra charge sign on the window you order from and the woman explained to me it's to pay for an extra fee they were being charged to allow for this,  so the WBB can recoup some money not made by people ordering outside the gates.  or something like that.   

I've had to the $10 hotdog, never again

This is the first time I'm hearing about this. Where is this sign posted?

Ever since they created the tailgate area I've had no issues with bringing beer into the stadium. I bring in beers before the game and at half-time, saves me some money. Tall boys are 8 bucks in the tailgate area and 10 bucks inside the stadium. 

the truck is always parked outside gate 3 i believe - the northern most point of entry along where the tailgate is on university cres.  Their menu still reflected the old prices but they had a sign in the order window of the truck as to why the prices didnt match up, like a smokey and poutine should cost you $11 before,  but they'll charge you $13 ($1 extra per item is what the sign says specifically)

7 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

This is the first time I'm hearing about this. Where is this sign posted?

Ever since they created the tailgate area I've had no issues with bringing beer into the stadium. I bring in beers before the game and at half-time, saves me some money. Tall boys are 8 bucks in the tailgate area and 10 bucks inside the stadium. 

12 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the truck is always parked outside gate 3 i believe - the northern most point of entry along where the tailgate is on university cres.  Their menu still reflected the old prices but they had a sign in the order window of the truck as to why the prices didnt match up, like a smokey and poutine should cost you $11 before,  but they'll charge you $13 ($1 extra per item is what the sign says specifically)

Ok, gotcha.  I didn't think people would be able to bring in food from that truck since its outside the tailgate area.  At least that's a little progress.

The organization has actually come a long way since the 1st season at IGF when they didn't allow any food vendors outside the stadium.

yeah I think they recognized how much people opt for those vendors vs the much higher prices in the stadium, and started charging them a fee to make something out of otherwise nothing other then possible parking fees.  but I know for the last home games vs Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa they only stopped me once asking where I got the food from, I pointed to the truck and they said ok but I had to toss out my water for whatever reason

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The most frustrating thing I've found with the "generic" vendors at the stadium is the lack of training of their staff.  I get these people only work together a dozen times a year in a high turnover job, but the wait time to get overpriced cold food makes it the three strike rule.

I expect it to be over priced.  Just watching how these people operate behind the counter, the wait times could be addressed with better training and guidance.  

Training should also theoretically fix the cold / quality problem as well, though I get there are limitations when you have all of your business come at the same times (pre game and half time).

Can't agree with your any more Rich.  This is probably the most frustrating aspect of working with this certain food services provider.  The problem goes deeper than just the concessions too.  There is a lot that is being addressed with them as we speak.  Hoping that these discussions result in improvements to the training and processes they employ this season.

34 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Can't agree with your any more Rich.  This is probably the most frustrating aspect of working with this certain food services provider.  The problem goes deeper than just the concessions too.  There is a lot that is being addressed with them as we speak.  Hoping that these discussions result in improvements to the training and processes they employ this season.

Good to hear. It seems like it should be relatively easy stuff to grasp too.

I remember last year I went to grab my dad a bottled drink, hot dog and fries. I paid and the girl immediately handed me my drink and hot dog and after about a 5 minute wait for the fries, I asked her if she could put it back and give me product that hadn't been out of the cooler/warmer and she looked at me like I had sprouted a third eye. Simple things like that.

It also surprises me how they don't have the buns prepped in advance if they're waiting on meat. So many times I see them waiting for burgers to be done, but they don't bother to prep the buns with whatever goes on them until they have the burger ready to go. That seems counter productive as well.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Good to hear. It seems like it should be relatively easy stuff to grasp too.

I remember last year I went to grab my dad a bottled drink, hot dog and fries. I paid and the girl immediately handed me my drink and hot dog and after about a 5 minute wait for the fries, I asked her if she could put it back and give me product that hadn't been out of the cooler/warmer and she looked at me like I had sprouted a third eye. Simple things like that.

It also surprises me how they don't have the buns prepped in advance if they're waiting on meat. So many times I see them waiting for burgers to be done, but they don't bother to prep the buns with whatever goes on them until they have the burger ready to go. That seems counter productive as well.

Minimum wage problems. The people willing to do those jobs ain't going to be the best and brightest of our society. 

On 3/23/2016 at 4:34 AM, Bigblue204 said:

backwards movers in the upper deck is how I get business done!! no one ever uses the stalls, why would I wait in line like a sucker when there are 4-5 open stalls at any given time?

Nothing beats a beautiful piss trough for efficiency and cleanliness.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, 17to85 said:

do people actually complain about the food in stadiums? I mean seriously if you can get hot dogs and burgers and chickenfingers and maybe pizza what more do you need? If you go expecting quality food I would suggest your expectations are out of line. 

I definitely want to see a vegan option at the games this year.  Or at least that's what my extremely pale and anemic 19 year old niece tells me.  If they offer real turkey legs then the very least they could offer disgusting tasting tofurkey legs too.

On 24/03/2016 at 4:22 PM, 17to85 said:

Minimum wage problems. The people willing to do those jobs ain't going to be the best and brightest of our society. 

Better management does help with improving quality of service but if this is the same company as at stadium opening then you are talking about an enormous company where individual stadiums matter little and our little 30K stadium won't compare to a 75K or 100K stadium.

On 3/24/2016 at 1:01 PM, 17to85 said:

No I am simply saying that if bitching about the food served at the stadium is something you find acceptable your priorities are all screwed up. You're going there to watch a football game not have a fine dining experience. It's like going to mcdonalds and asking where the steak is. 

I'm sorry, I'd like to munch on some half decent food since the game is usually over before the second half starts.

21 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I definitely want to see a vegan option at the games this year.  Or at least that's what my extremely pale and anemic 19 year old niece tells me.  If they offer real turkey legs then the very least they could offer disgusting tasting tofurkey legs too.

Is she single? She sounds like my type

On March 23, 2016 at 10:48 PM, ALuCsRED said:

- More water filling stations (or better flow), and a better description of when sealed bottled water is allowed in (sometimes okay, some say warm days, what does warm days mean exactly?)

I agree totally with this (along with some monitoring of the stations so you don't have some ass filling tons of bottles causing a huge back-up). However, it's not going to happen. They want you to spend money on their triple price bottled water.

IMHO the only thing that will make the game day experience better is the on field product. The rest is easy to ignore dressing that is not going to improve or lessen my game day experience.

12 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

I agree totally with this (along with some monitoring of the stations so you don't have some ass filling tons of bottles causing a huge back-up). However, it's not going to happen. They want you to spend money on their triple price bottled water.

IMHO the only thing that will make the game day experience better is the on field product. The rest is easy to ignore dressing that is not going to improve or lessen my game day experience.

This seems so trivial.  Does this happen so often that it needs to be policed?