Game Day - Operations Improvements

ALuCsRED

This thread is not intended to be a complaint section, but an idea generator for our football club to improve the fan experience at the games.  What can they improve on to speed up the process (bussing, parking, entry, beer lines, food lines, cash machines, water fountains, "beer people", washrooms, etc).  Let's try and think outside the box people...

On the Upper Deck West side, I think we can improve the experience with:

- Bussing has been good to Hydro on Pembina.  I can't complain.  Betting lighting on the sidewalks (or less trip hazards) would help with flow.

- Dedicated drink vending beer locations (no food, no extras, just drinks).  The lines are too slow.

- Stadium Food booths: One runner per cashier as cashiers can't take money while looking for food/drinks.  Long delay food should have its own location.

- Label washrooms doors with "Entrance" and "Exit".  There are too many backwards movers.  Garbage cans should be put after the paper towel dispensers, not before.

- More water filling stations (or better flow), and a better description of when sealed bottled water is allowed in (sometimes okay, some say warm days, what does warm days mean exactly?)

I wish they would finally fix the bussing, specifically after the game....

Currently, they have people line up at a spot, then the bus stops 5  (to 20) feet behind or ahead. Then everyone at the back of the line gets on and others, near the front can't.

Sometimes they have multiple busses at each stop open and other times they don't.

I would like to them make a decision and stick with it.

It's quite remarkable (and embarrassing)  that after three full seasons, that they can't coordinate this and give us a consistent experience.

I'm pleased they've added the large water jug (I don't know what to call it) on the west side upper deck. Waiting in line for a water refill was painful.

Stadium food. They don't triage very well. I can understand why they don't want a big line building up, after paying, for hot food but not everyone in line is waiting for hot food. I wish they would still take patrons that are after drinks, chips, popcorn, etc.

I say all this as a father who brings his 5 year old son to most games. If it's just me and another adult, I can cope with bussing and water much easier. It's not so easy with a little one. Consistency is key.

Put a pedestrian walkway over University Crescent where the crosswalk is north of the Stadium.  Would improve traffic flow after games and make it safer for people walking that need to cross UC before and after the games.  I realize this would be a city issue not a Bomber issue but it's my 2 cents for improving the gameday experience.  And yes, more wins on the field too please.

I would like for the Bombers to install a teleportation system that actually leaves ALL our parts downtown. Com'on Wade. We're still in the dark ages. Last time I used their crap system, there were body parts strewn from the University to the Shark Club. The club had no place to place the admission stamp. It took three friggin hours for all my arms and all my legs to catch up and reattach.

25 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Food quality is very low.  I like Shawarma Khan and Pizza Hotline is OK I guess.  But variety is lacking and everything outside of those two options are bleh.

Along with Shawarma Khan and Pizza Hotline, the stadium has a lot of selection vs other stadiums that I've been to:

1. Clay Oven (SW corner, Main Concourse, my personal favourite)

2. Sliced Beef on Bun (NW Corner, Main Concourse)

3. BBQ (NE Corner, Main Concourse)

4. Salsbury House

5. Burgers, Chicken Burgers, Hotdogs, Chicken Fingers, Fries, (Upper Decks, multiple locations)

6. Turkey Legs

To give credit where credit is due: they have improved the transportation debacle from day one to the current, they have a variety of food concessions that do offer a variety of food. However with that said you still cannot get out of the stadium at half time say if you take the shuttles. There has to be some sort of mechanism to permit this. With that said it is still difficult to get to and from the game and when you are 4kms away and have to drive 9kms to get the shuttle, well that is a mistake. Surely they can still improve on that one. As far as the food is concerned, I too used to enjoy going to the old stadium and have my smokey prior to the game. Now you can't enjoy a smokey at the game unless you eat it outside the stadium and you certainly can't take it in. That too is a mistake. Another point that annoyed me although I do understand that Miller is trying to address the younger crowd is the point to provide a "drinking" section for those who want to spend excessive amounts of money of money to buy excessively expensive beer and play "beer snake". I used to go to the game to watch a football game, not a bunch of drunks playing with plastic cups. And finally the product on the field is less than encouraging. Sorry to be the negative person however you asked for comments and these are mine.

I think they relaxed a little on the food being brought in as long as it's from an approved vendor outside. like that truck that parks i believe by gate 3, they let you bring in your smokey/burger and/or fries but no on drink. I think last time I went to buy stuff they charged an extra dollar on their items tho as a fee they use in paying for that privilege 

It really seems to me that the organization has bent over backwards to accommodate people as much as they can in terms of the Game Day Experience. In all my years, I've never seen the WBB FC try as hard as it has under Wade, to make everyone happy.

They had a lot of perception issues and damage to repair from the prior administration. 

They have invested a lot of time and energy into improving the game day experience.  Now put a winning team on the field to get people back into the stadium to appreciate all that hard work.

Am I wrong but wasn't the old stadium concessions controlled by city government and in the new stadium the team has control? I remember thinking that was a positive development at the time from both the potential for quality improvements but also in terms of revenue generation, both of which are of course related. 

45 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Am I wrong but wasn't the old stadium concessions controlled by city government and in the new stadium the team has control? I remember thinking that was a positive development at the time from both the potential for quality improvements but also in terms of revenue generation, both of which are of course related. 

This was true when Jets 1.0 was here.  Winnipeg Enterprises was a city owned entity that ran both the stadium and arena.  The Jets and Bombers were tenants and I believe even paid rent.  Winnipeg Enterprises also got any concert revenue.

Around the time the Jets left, Winnipeg Enterprises was disbanded.  Chipman took control of the old Arena, its concessions, etc for the Moose.   And the Bombers got control of the stadium and its concessions.

do people actually complain about the food in stadiums? I mean seriously if you can get hot dogs and burgers and chickenfingers and maybe pizza what more do you need? If you go expecting quality food I would suggest your expectations are out of line. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

do people actually complain about the food in stadiums? I mean seriously if you can get hot dogs and burgers and chickenfingers and maybe pizza what more do you need? If you go expecting quality food I would suggest your expectations are out of line. 

Yeah you're right we should all sit down and shut up!  Making requests of the team in a thread specifically asking for ideas about improvements is simply unacceptable.  Go back to bed Sheldon.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You can't tell me why I'm going to the stadium.  How many people go there and barely watch the game?  Their dollars are just as valid as yours, super fan.

you're right. But his point is valid as well. Going to a football stadium and expecting top notch food is just setting yourself up for a let down. Saying that...I really like the poutine.