Lawless article on officiating and rule changes

if they go this route they should discuss what some NHL GMs are proposing for challenges, a penalty for losing a challenge instead of just losing a time out.  Slap a 10 yard penalty or loss of down or something to failed challenges.  

2 minutes ago, peggars said:

if they go this route they should discuss what some NHL GMs are proposing for challenges, a penalty for losing a challenge instead of just losing a time out.  Slap a 10 yard penalty or loss of down or something to failed challenges.  

Until the referees actually figure out what the hell they're doing on the field AND in the command center, this would be a disaster.

12 hours ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

Many of the challenges we have already are gimmicky, especially the new ones. We need to work out those ones before we get even more of them in. All this is going to do right now is slow down the game.

Disagree.  Coaches have the same amount of challenges.  Pretty much everything that can be seen on video should be able to be challenged.  Otherwise get rid of it entirely.

Just need to apply a commonsense rule to get the call right from the command centre.

I dont have a problem with an extra person working the video review if it means consistently correct calls at the end of the day. The refs have time and again proven inept at times so its kind of a necessary evil at the expense of game stoppage. But I think we generally need better reffing to reduce the need to challenge, not increase the challenges to basically take the onus off the refs

8 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dont have a problem with an extra person working the video review if it means consistently correct calls at the end of the day. The refs have time and again proven inept at times so its kind of a necessary evil at the expense of game stoppage. But I think we generally need better reffing to reduce the need to challenge, not increase the challenges to basically take the onus off the refs

What would be your plan to get better reffing immediately next season?

Agree we need better reffing.  I think that means long term investment in salary(how much does a CFL ref make?) and training. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Agree we need better reffing.  I think that means long term investment in salary(how much does a CFL ref make?) and training. 

I believe it's been suggested that we open up our job openings to refs beyond our boarders, greatly increasing the # of qualified men and maybe even women who would be applying for the job. As mentioned by a few in this thread, hold off on adding new rules for a bit and let the refs getting good at working with what they already have on their plates instead of constantly having to learn and adapt to new things every year - which is probably the best course of action, seems rather problematic to add changes when the current set of rules still have wrinkles these refs are having with issues with

18 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I believe it's been suggested that we open up our job openings to refs beyond our boarders, greatly increasing the # of qualified men and maybe even women who would be applying for the job. As mentioned by a few in this thread, hold off on adding new rules for a bit and let the refs getting good at working with what they already have on their plates instead of constantly having to learn and adapt to new things every year - which is probably the best course of action, seems rather problematic to add changes when the current set of rules still have wrinkles these refs are having with issues with

My only concern with that would be a potential bias towards calling an American style game if we have (former) American refs. Would they get the 3 down thing right? Offsides? No yards? The number of players? Single points? Rouges? etc.

I think the idea of having qualified American officials working CFL games is laughable from an off-field logistics prospective - passports; temporary work visas; travel; time off from their full-time, non-football jobs; low salary paid in low Canadian dollars. They'll be beating down the doors.

7 hours ago, J5V said:

My only concern with that would be a potential bias towards calling an American style game if we have (former) American refs. Would they get the 3 down thing right? Offsides? No yards? The number of players? Single points? Rouges? etc.

Do you forget that there are 4 downs when you're watching American football?

I honestly don't believe it could be much worse.  There are dozens of basic rule application mistakes made by guys who have been officiating Canadian football forever.  Might be good to have some fresh eyes and people who aren't over confident in their knowledge of the game.

Unless there is a path to high NCAA or NFL I don't see many good refs being interested in working in Canada though.

On 12/03/2016 at 8:15 AM, Jacquie said:

I think the idea of having qualified American officials working CFL games is laughable from an off-field logistics prospective - passports; temporary work visas; travel; time off from their full-time, non-football jobs; low salary paid in low Canadian dollars. They'll be beating down the doors.

You're 100% right... the logistical problems would be much more significant than adjusting to CFL rules...

On 2016-03-11 at 7:56 AM, Rich said:

Pick one rule - pass interference - and dissect the crap out of it with coaches, GMs, players and refs involved, until there is finally one easily understood standard for what constitutes pass interference that will be called consistently in every game, from the start of the season to the end, regardless of which officiating crew is handling the game.  Watch a thousand plays together and discuss what the call should have been and why.  Is there wording that is confusing?  Figure out what you want to express and change it.

Any contact of any kind is pass interference?  Of course it isn't.  Take the time to realize how stupid this would be in practise BEFORE you announce it to the world as your new standard, then quietly backtrack over the next two months.

It blows my mind that people are encouraged to write in and suggest rule changes every ******* offseason.  Holy **** the CFL can be a joke sometimes.

Spend that time working on just getting better at doing the stuff you should have been doing better all along.

I apologize for the profanity; that is not normally how I would express myself.  I realize some of you may not have been exposed to those kinds of asterixes before.

On 3/11/2016 at 7:56 AM, Rich said:

What he said.^

For one, stop adding rules every off-season.

Hand in hand with that, focus on the basics.

I honestly don't understand what Glen Johnson's job is.  To come up with random ideas that he can put out there every off-season to remind everyone that he still exists and works for the CFL?  Product has suffered under him.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

no kidding, why do we need rule changes every single off season? I can understand reviewing things that need to be changed if there were large issues with them in the previous year (like PI) but why would they need to change the rules on push blocks or really anything that is coming up this off season? It seems like they are just changing for change sake, and that is how you ruin things.

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What he said.^

For one, stop adding rules every off-season.

Hand in hand with that, focus on the basics.

I honestly don't understand what Glen Johnson's job is.  To come up with random ideas that he can put out there every off-season to remind everyone that he still exists and works for the CFL?  Product has suffered under him.

The CFL Rules Committee decides on rule changes, not Glen Johnson.  He is just the striped messenger boy.

Football without a doubt has to be the most difficult and complex game to officiate. North or South of the border. American refs were no better at officiating during the U.S. Expansion. Perhaps there should be more emphasis on grooming former players from the CFL or CIS as officials. They at least have a better inherent understanding of the complexity and nuances.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:
3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They are essentially voting yay or nay on his ideas.  So far they've pretty much gone along with his ideas to the detriment of the game.

They are essentially voting yay or nay on his ideas.  So far they've pretty much gone along with his ideas to the detriment of the game.

The Rules Committee is made up "several CFL presidents, coaches and general managers as well as representatives of the CFL, CFL Players’ Association and CFL Officials Association". They suggest rules changes then the BoG votes on them.

On 17/03/2016 at 7:52 PM, DR. CFL said:

Football without a doubt has to be the most difficult and complex game to officiate. North or South of the border. American refs were no better at officiating during the U.S. Expansion. Perhaps there should be more emphasis on grooming former players from the CFL or CIS as officials. They at least have a better inherent understanding of the complexity and nuances.

This is actually a really great idea... especially for guys who continue to live in Canada, it would be a great way to make some extra coin...