Lawless article on officiating and rule changes

http://www.tsn.ca/it-s-time-to-open-the-cfl-officiating-pool-1.450675

here's the rule changes up for consideration;

Rule change considerations:

- The addition of a second video official with the ability to rapidly correct obvious errors in the moment on plays not challengeable by replay.

Currently, CFL Command Central in Toronto is staffed by two people, one technician to cut up plays and provide as many views of a play as possible and a former referee to help instruct the on-field crew on challengeable plays.

The new set up would see a third member added to the crew under the title of Video Review Official. This former or current referee would work as an extra set of eyes and communicate with the on-field crew to discuss penalties and other facets of the game which do not fall under the umbrella of challengeable calls.

It’s key to note, the review referee would not stop play but only get involved when penalties on the field are called or stoppages are already in effect.

The goal is to clean up play while not slowing it down.

- The league is also looking at player safety initiatives including eliminating peel-back and push blocks.

A peel-back block is when an offensive player makes a block facing his own endzone and blindsiding a defensive player.

Push blocks are used on converts and field goals when a defensive player is pushed from behind by one of his teammates to maximize the amount of force applied on an opposing blocker. Push blocks were used on more than half of last year’s kicking convert and field goal plays in the CFL last season.

- Also being considered are additions to the coach’s challenge menu. The league is considering adding 10 or 12 different judgment plays to the challenge bucket, including offensive pass interference, illegal contact and all unnecessary roughness penalties.

Currently, coaches have two challenges and must get both correct in order to attain a third. The number of challenges will be held at two but if a coach gets one challenge right, another will be added but the maximum will remain at three per game

The goal is to clean up play while not slowing it down.

Also being considered are additions to the coach’s challenge menu. The league is considering adding 10 or 12 different judgment plays to the challenge bucket, including offensive pass interference, illegal contact and all unnecessary roughness penalties.

Good luck with that.

Offensive pass interference makes sense but the others??  Don't like the idea of giving another challenge to a coach  if the first is successful. Too much technology & too many challenge flags. Besides, we already know that 90% of every big play next season especially on punt returns will be called back anyway.

Edited by iso_55

Somehow I just can't help having the feeling this extra challenge is just another slot to help the network add another commercial.  Why not have these robots that can walk and run and just feed their video into a review booth. Don't we have that already? In many instances I pvr the game and start watching it an hour and a half later, and by skipping the commercials we end up finishing at the same time. 

What has happened to the times when the officials called the game and the fans lived with the decision and the game lasted about two and a half hours?

14 hours ago, Westy Sucks said:

To me, the CFL officials are just like the NDP.  Useless tools

Can we please leave politics out of this? I can list off many faults with political parties at all different levels and different affiliations. Corruption and mismanagement exists everywhere. Part of the reason I enjoy sports is to get away from that garbage please check your garbage at the door. There are plenty of other places to spout infective.

13 hours ago, LeBird said:

Somehow I just can't help having the feeling this extra challenge is just another slot to help the network add another commercial.  Why not have these robots that can walk and run and just feed their video into a review booth. Don't we have that already? In many instances I pvr the game and start watching it an hour and a half later, and by skipping the commercials we end up finishing at the same time. 

What has happened to the times when the officials called the game and the fans lived with the decision and the game lasted about two and a half hours?

CFL Officiating 2016

5 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Can we please leave politics out of this? I can list off many faults with political parties at all different levels and different affiliations. Corruption and mismanagement exists everywhere. Part of the reason I enjoy sports is to get away from that garbage please check your garbage at the door. There are plenty of other places to spout infective.

It's a comparison of uselessness.  You're the one that took it further.  Blame yourself

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

well they would increase by 1 challenge if your right, instead of just losing a time out if wrong

No they are changing it that if you get your first one right you get a third. It is already a rule that if you challenge twice and get both right that you get a third. 

I just meant that since there are more things to challenges there will be more challenge flags thrown...

More penalties on kickoffs = more stoppages in play while refs decide who blocked what...  already so many calls on special teams...

'Eye in the sky' is not going to work...  like the idea if they use it to speed up challenge and scoring reviews, terrible idea if refs start asking for a second opinion all game long...

And the offsetting penalties...???  If a guy is offside, why would you call holding on the OL defending against him...  what a bizarre example.

CFL continues to make rules changes to 'open up' the game that will actually just make it less interesting.