What happens with this guy?

IC Khari

On 1/27/2016 at 11:41 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Being an un-drafted prospect the Bombers probably got Lirim at a bargain price in his first year and they definitely benefited from his pay/performance rato.  Second year was poor but I don't think they should use that as a bargaining chip against him.  Treat him as a great Natl. asset and sign him for the going rate with faith that he will perform well again.  If he stinks out the joint this year then they can think above moving on. 

Lirim may have squandered his plans for an NFL career for now but I would predict if he can put a few seasons of consistent kicking behind him he will be getting a look in an NFL camp sometime in the future.

Lirim cost us games last year. As a fan, I don't want to bring him back on the premise he might be better. Just like Brian Brohm, time to move on & upgrade kicking. 

I think theres a big difference. When LH came in he was solely the place kicker and converts were still as they always were. With double duty and new PAT rules, I just dont think he adjusted well right away. Its hard to ignore his first year, but hard to forget this past year. I think hes worth another shot at least, if he still struggles then cut him lose, or strictly back to punting again

8 hours ago, J5V said:

This is a guy that was choking repeatedly and costing us games whilst releasing goofy youtube videos of trick kicks. This self-proclaimed "great player" missed 4 field goals and a convert in a loss to the Eskies 24-23. He should have been gone right then and there. Even though the Bombers supported this guy all season and throughout that horrific game he ducked the media afterwards taking to twitter a few days later to apologize. Questionable character, questionable mental toughness. If we stick with him he better reward us but I have my doubts. 

Wasnt that "goofy" trickshot video done by the team or CFL and as such not really something to use as a slight on the guy?

also, what is with you guys and this inane need to see a guy roasted in front of the camera? Do you require metaphorical blood that badly??  

39 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Lirim cost us games last year. As a fan, I don't want to bring him back on the premise he might be better. Just like Brian Brohm, time to move on & upgrade kicking. 

Big difference, Lirim proved that he had the skills to do the job well in his first year, Brohm never managed to show us that he had any skills.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

Wasnt that "goofy" trickshot video done by the team or CFL and as such not really something to use as a slight on the guy?

also, what is with you guys and this inane need to see a guy roasted in front of the camera? Do you require metaphorical blood that badly??  

The trickshots were indeed a CFL promotion, and shot way before Lirim's kicking struggles began.

4 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think theres a big difference. When LH came in he was solely the place kicker and converts were still as they always were. With double duty and new PAT rules, I just dont think he adjusted well right away. Its hard to ignore his first year, but hard to forget this past year. I think hes worth another shot at least, if he still struggles then cut him lose, or strictly back to punting again

If he is re-signed I hope it's just as a punter. He was showing progress in just the singlerole after the Edmonton game. Rob Maver was drafted as a kicker & punter but couldn't either job well so the Stamps brought in Paredes. Maver is now one of the best punters in the CFL no longer handling both. Let Liram concentrate on punting. 

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Big difference, Lirim proved that he had the skills to do the job well in his first year, Brohm never managed to show us that he had any skills.

Brohm had the skills. He was drafted by the Packers. He just couldn't handle the pressure during games like Liram. 

And where does it say Lirim wants to come back in any capacity?  All I've read is that he wants to leave. Combine that with the epic crash of last year and this guy is a giant question mark that I can do without.  I'm tired of "Bombers will make the playoffs IF..."  and he's an if.

Medlock I would truly be excited about.  That's a guy who you know will not lose you games.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

If he is re-signed I hope it's just as a punter. He was showing progress in just the singlerole after the Edmonton game. Rob Maver was drafted as a kicker & punter but couldn't either job well so the Stamps brought in Paredes. Maver is now one of the best punters in the CFL no longer handling both. Let Liram concentrate on punting. 

I'd prefer the opposite.  Hajrullahu is a better place kicker and I think it's harder to find good place kickers.  His only redeeming quality as a punter is distance.  His placement was a big part of the trouble our cover teams had.  Easier to find a guy who can locate punts and net toward the mid 30s than a 85%+ place kicker, which is what Hajrullahu is when he's not punting too.

Medlock > Lirim by a wide margin. He'd be my #1 choice, but if we don't get Medlock then I'd make a low offer to Lirim with bonuses (I know Walters doesn't like them but in this case he'd have to protect the team). He's got a good leg and proved he can play in season 1. He stunk the joint out, cost us games and lost his starting job in season 2. If and it's a big if, he could get back to season 1 form he'd be a great story this year. Otherwise we could always cut him at TC for very little investment.

53 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'd prefer the opposite.  Hajrullahu is a better place kicker and I think it's harder to find good place kickers.  His only redeeming quality as a punter is distance.  His placement was a big part of the trouble our cover teams had.  Easier to find a guy who can locate punts and net toward the mid 30s than a 85%+ place kicker, which is what Hajrullahu is when he's not punting too.

As a punter, he can do the least damage. As a kicker, I don't want him knowing there are better kickers out there. Our Scouting Department has to get off their butts & find one. preferably Canadian.

An athlete playing well as a rookie and struggling in his second year as a pro?  It's absolutely unheard of.

I don't know what to make of this brand new occurrence that Lirim just invented, but it is with 100% absolute certainty that we can now safely say that the entirety of his career going forward will be a revolting blight that could only tarnish the once-proud game of football.

I'm not sure why everyone is being so kind.  We need to re-sign him simply so we can keep him here to slowly torture him for his crime.  The number of times he missed a FG or PAT and then came back to the sidelines, pointed at Bomber fans and laughed about it, then jumped into the stands and peed on a small child was far too many.

8 hours ago, SPuDS said:

I honestly think some fans want a gallows set up at half time and whichever player is the scapegoat of the game gets publicly hanged as the half time entertainment. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I honestly think some fans want a gallows set up at half time and whichever player is the scapegoat of the game gets publicly hanged as the half time entertainment. 

"We have every right to feel that way because we haven't won a Grey Cup in 25 years!!1!"

The whole situation is such a perfect metaphor for the modern Bombers.

The league makes a rule change to make converts a little less automatic.  It should affect every team equally.  In fact, it should favour us because we have a promising young kicker who surely will be 97% or so from 32 years. 

So early in the season he misses a few.  It indirectly costs us a game.  Everybody gets on him.  But he's still making field goals so it's cool.  But now he starts missing field goals and now the media and fans are all over him.  I'm no expert but I think confidence is probably pretty important to field goal kickers. 

Eventually, the Edmonton game comes along and he loses his job and we are running him out of town.

Next step is he goes somewhere else, rediscovers his stroke, wins a couple awards, our new kickers suck, and four years from now we are on this board talking about how we should target him in free agency. 

12 minutes ago, saskbluefan said:

The whole situation is such a perfect metaphor for the modern Bombers.

The league makes a rule change to make converts a little less automatic.  It should affect every team equally.  In fact, it should favour us because we have a promising young kicker who surely will be 97% or so from 32 years. 

So early in the season he misses a few.  It indirectly costs us a game.  Everybody gets on him.  But he's still making field goals so it's cool.  But now he starts missing field goals and now the media and fans are all over him.  I'm no expert but I think confidence is probably pretty important to field goal kickers. 

Eventually, the Edmonton game comes along and he loses his job and we are running him out of town.

Next step is he goes somewhere else, rediscovers his stroke, wins a couple awards, our new kickers suck, and four years from now we are on this board talking about how we should target him in free agency. 

The post made sense until the last paragraph. It's 50-50 at best if he gets his stroke back or not. If we bring in kickers who suck, that's on the scouts, GM and coaching staff. Keeping a guy because of what he did 2 years ago in hope that he gets it back is a great way to continue to lose in this league.

Lirim didn't take our offer last year betting that he'd have a great sophomore year which would give him an NFL shot or at least a bigger paycheck this year and he lost. He'll get more chances because of his passport and because of his first year's stats in the league. Whether that's with Winnipeg or not remains to be seen.

48 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If we bring in kickers who suck, that's on the scouts, GM and coaching staff.

It wouldnt surprise me if Walters still likes him,  hes personally spent time with him prior to his joining us,  as well as got Prefontaine and Cameron to work with him. seems like hes willing to invest to the time and resources, and i dont know if a few f*ups last year is enough to give up on him

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't. That's why I'd bring him back to compete if he'll take a cheap base plus incentives offer IF we can't sign Medlock. 

But that's all people are saying, he showed a lot as a rookie so why not give him a chance to redeem himself? You can rest assured that if we cut him free and he rebounded with another team there would be people lining up to skewer Walters for letting a good NI kicker get away for nothing. 

It's like some people think he was never any good. Honestly a lot of his problems could have likely been avoided if they had recognized right away that he had a mental block about the converts and gone for 2 more. He might not have let that convert issue creep into his field goal game. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

.... Honestly a lot of his problems could have likely been avoided if they had recognized right away that he had a mental block about the converts and gone for 2 more. He might not have let that convert issue creep into his field goal game. 

You don't go for 2 because your kicker can't make converts. You're making excuses for Lirim. Kickers can't have mental block. They have to be able to perform when they are called upon.