Is the theory recruiting receiving should be ''easy'' a myth?

Blueandgold

Albert Johnson the third.   great player. I think he played for san francisco at one point.

I compiled a list of import receivers that we brought in over the years...  I did this quickly so I may have missed a few. 

Interesting, thanks for the effort.... :)

I remember people thinking both of these guys had potential, I guess it was in camp. Neither got to play much if at all...

Adams, Kurt
Pierce, Doug

Edited by Mark F

Wrs arent easy to recruit imop. Tons of guys come in looking like they should be monsters and many dont put it together for various reasons. Id say WR is the biggest crap shoot. You can have guys come in with so so previous careers and blow up, and studs come in and flame out quick. RB is the easiest position to recruit imop. Its soo easy to get the ball in their hands, and they have 5 lineman whose job it is to get them a gap. 

On January 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Blueandgold said:

I'm starting to wonder if this whole ''recruiting receivers is easy'' is just a myth? Seriously, since Taman brought in Bruce & Simon over 15 years ago what home grown talent have the Bombers brought in? That's with Richie/Taman/Kelly/Mack/Walters, so we can't just point the finger at one regime. We had Denmark, but who else? We had absolutely no one besides Milt Stegall from 2004-2007 until we picked up Terrance Edwards off the scrap heap from Montreal (so that's the second recruit) and signed Derrick Armstrong. I literally can't think of any other decent receiver we've recruited since then aside from Denmark & Edwards. Does anyone else have ANYONE whatsoever? I guess Romby Bryant would be another, even though I'll never condone the piss poor effort he displayed in 2009.

Then you look at a team like Ottawa who made the Grey Cup this year, yes they were an expansion team in their second year, but they also had four highly paid 1000 yard receivers and 5th highly paid scrub. Toronto was able to bring in Gurley and Hazelton this year, but aside from that teams around the league seem to be struggling to bring in impact receivers. The problem we face here is identical to the one in Saskatchewan, BC and Montreal.

Everything is a challenge for Winnipeg. Considering they have the weakest scouting of any professional sports team anywhere it is a surprise they find any talent at all.

On 1/21/2016 at 4:12 PM, Brandon said:

I compiled a list of import receivers that we brought in over the years...  I did this quickly so I may have missed a few. 

Starting from recent

2015 -
Adams, Darvin
Gordon, Jhomo
Stoudermire, Troy
Veltung, Justin

2014 -
Bryant, Romby
Moore, Nick
Wilson, Justin

2013 -

Foster, Akeem
Kelly, Aaron
Woods, Aaron
Sims-Walker, Mike

2012 -
Anderson, Isaac
Adams, Kurt
Miles, Wallace
Matthews, Chris
Pierce, Doug

2011 -

Watson, Alex
Floyd, Perry

2010 -
clarence denmark
greg carr
chris davis
tj harris
jamayel smith

2009 -

Amey, Otis
Bowman, Adarius
Guice, Dudley, Jr.
Hyman, Michael
Luciani, Dante
Ralph, Brock
Ryan, Titus
Thorpe, Craphonso

2008 -
Armstead, Jason
Bryant, Romby
McGahee, Casey

2007 -

Atkinson, Blair
Edwards, Terrence
Foster, Willie
Johnson, Kerry

2006 -
Anderson, Scotty
Armstrong, Derick
Baker, Robert, III
Cavil, Kwame
Davis, Shockmain
Johnson, Albert, III
McCord, Quentin
Ray, Darryl
Thurman, Andrae

2005 and before:

Brazzell, Chris
Stegall, Milt
Colon, Gilles
McDonald, Darnell
McGarity, Wane
Peterson, Kamau
Robinson, Scott
Stokes, Keith
Sutherland, Vinny

I know I missed some guys but that's the gist of guys we recruited over the years....  Lots of years of garbage but sadly the best recruiting year I think was with Mike Kelly and the database....

Oh if only mike sims walker could have stayed healthy