Mike O'Shea on #QandView

Mr Dee

Ever thought the reason the media is so negative is because even they get tired of covering a shitty football team year in & year out where nothing ever changes? Now they've had 2 full seasons to deal with a head coach who won't let them talk to other coaches & players are only made available at certain times. And they can only videotape part of practice. All they write about are the losses & the occasional win. And all the other garbage in between. If we're grouchy, I bet they are too.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Paul Friesen says MOS is the only coach in the CFL to do this. Muzzle his coaches.

Read the article again.

MOS is the only one with that restrictive a policy. All coaches and GMs across the league restrict access as mentioned...in the article.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Read the article again.

MOS is the only one with that restrictive a policy. All coaches and GMs across the league restrict access as mentioned...in the article.

Other coaches let the media talk to their assistants. We don't. So we have more restrictive practices than other teams. Like I said before, every coach on Mike's staff should be on the same page so why the need to control the message? No one answers that question when other coaches don't do that. 

16 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Other coaches let the media talk to their assistants. We don't. So we have more restrictive practices than other teams. Like I said before, every coach on Mike's staff should be on the same page so why the need to control the message? No one answers that question when other coaches don't do that. 

I think @Noeller said that it was a policy O'Shea brought over from Toronto so I guess other coaches do do that. It is not a policy that I agree with. It says to me that you can't handle the media so you simply shut them out. A good coach needs to be media savvy. 

MOS starts to win (PLEASE LET'S HOPE!!!!) and the media thing won't be as big of an issue. Seems the Winnipeg media (not only them) are like sharks and they only come around when they smell the blood in the water when we're losing. I think Friesen would blow a gasket if the team becam a powerhouse once again. His negative shtick is all he knows how to do LOL.

On 24/12/2015 at 3:22 PM, iso_55 said:

Ever thought the reason the media is so negative is because even they get tired of covering a shitty football team year in & year out where nothing ever changes? Now they've had 2 full seasons to deal with a head coach who won't let them talk to other coaches & players are only made available at certain times. And they can only videotape part of practice. All they write about are the losses & the occasional win. And all the other garbage in between. If we're grouchy, I bet they are too.

Oh please.  Friesen has been a ****** for a loooooooong time.  If he's that upset that he can't talk to a guy that he wouldn't have wanted to talk to in the first place, it's time to find a new profession if his panties are in a bunch.

17 hours ago, JimmyFartball said:

MOS starts to win (PLEASE LET'S HOPE!!!!) and the media thing won't be as big of an issue. Seems the Winnipeg media (not only them) are like sharks and they only come around when they smell the blood in the water when we're losing. I think Friesen would blow a gasket if the team becam a powerhouse once again. His negative shtick is all he knows how to do LOL.

I agree. Winning fixes a lot of things. Sharks are necessary creatures in that they dispose of the sick and injured and keep the waters clean. :-)

A good coach can use the media to his advantage. 

Iso. Aren't you living in Alberta or something.  No offense or anything here but unless you live in winnipeg you really have no clue as to how our media operates. Friesen in particular has made a career out of being the whining always complaining douchey guy. It's not new. It's his shtick. Seriously just bringing up the name Paul Friesen here shows a crazy lack of understanding about the guy and how he operates. Friesen isn't gonna give you in depth questions and answers. He's gonna give you basically his opinion with half quotes thrown in that fits his painfully obvious very ridiculous agenda.  For years years oh so many years. ....ed Tait has been the only guy that actually gives in depth answers to his questions. You talk about respect is a 2 way street.... it sure is and Friesen gets none because he gives none. That's reality. His reality is he'd rather make stuff up to fit his agenda. Basically Paul Friesen is a huge joke and I'd say 99 percent of the city knows it. He's a prick.... always has been. Always will be. Don't matter if it's MOS or anybody really.... Friesen is a prick to them therefore he gets no respect.  He's a prick to MOS. He's a prick to Paul Maurice. He was a prick to Tim Burke. Paul Lapolice. Doug Berry. Dave Ritchie. Claude Noel and on and on and on. It's his shtick. 

34 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Iso. Aren't you living in Alberta or something.  No offense or anything here but unless you live in winnipeg you really have no clue as to how our media operates. Friesen in particular has made a career out of being the whining always complaining douchey guy. It's not new. It's his shtick. Seriously just bringing up the name Paul Friesen here shows a crazy lack of understanding about the guy and how he operates. Friesen isn't gonna give you in depth questions and answers. He's gonna give you basically his opinion with half quotes thrown in that fits his painfully obvious very ridiculous agenda.  For years years oh so many years. ....ed Tait has been the only guy that actually gives in depth answers to his questions. You talk about respect is a 2 way street.... it sure is and Friesen gets none because he gives none. That's reality. His reality is he'd rather make stuff up to fit his agenda. Basically Paul Friesen is a huge joke and I'd say 99 percent of the city knows it. He's a prick.... always has been. Always will be. Don't matter if it's MOS or anybody really.... Friesen is a prick to them therefore he gets no respect.  He's a prick to MOS. He's a prick to Paul Maurice. He was a prick to Tim Burke. Paul Lapolice. Doug Berry. Dave Ritchie. Claude Noel and on and on and on. It's his shtick. 

I wasn't counting but you used the word "prick" 5 times in 2 sentences.  I think that deserves some kind of site award seeing as you weren't talking about Mike Kelly.

On December 25, 2015 at 10:55 AM, J5V said:

I think @Noeller said that it was a policy O'Shea brought over from Toronto so I guess other coaches do do that. It is not a policy that I agree with. It says to me that you can't handle the media so you simply shut them out. A good coach needs to be media savvy. 

If he felt "not media savvy" then wouldnt he happily allow the assistants to take the brunt of it??

me thinks your way off base.  I think he would just rather be the one with a target on his back. Let the media hate him and him alone type thing..

On 12/27/2015 at 3:25 PM, SPuDS said:

If he felt "not media savvy" then wouldnt he happily allow the assistants to take the brunt of it??

me thinks your way off base.  I think he would just rather be the one with a target on his back. Let the media hate him and him alone type thing..

MOS, the Media Martyr. Could be. But IMO if he was media savvy he'd use the media skillfully not simply shut them out. He could still play the martyr role.

On December 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I wasn't counting but you used the word "prick" 5 times in 2 sentences.  I think that deserves some kind of site award seeing as you weren't talking about Mike Kelly.

Speaking of Mike Kelly, does he still live here in Winnipeg? Saw him yesterday at the East Costco pushing a cart around with some woman telling him what aisle to go down, he looks like a broken man ...

33 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Speaking of Mike Kelly, does he still live here in Winnipeg? Saw him yesterday at the East Costco pushing a cart around with some woman telling him what aisle to go down, he looks like a broken man ...

He coaches at small Division 2 college in the states Wildner I think it's called.

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

I think you just saw a broken down old bald guy and thought to yourself "That is what mike Kelly should look like." In reality he is in a warm place by a pool sipping margaritas and slapping the waitresses on the butt as they leave.

21 hours ago, IC Khari said:

It very well may have been him. Often he's around the Peg with a woman nearby during the summer. Have literally bumped into him, and a woman, at an ice cream shop on Henderson.