Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

On 1/15/2016 at 2:35 PM, Mr Dee said:

Moving on from Semi Moore is a forgone conclusion it seems, and that's not really an issue. But I do agree, they must have another card to play, because they don't have a plethora of receivers as it is. So, the RedBlacks route seems to be the way we're going. Dressler plays into this quite nicely, I would think.

If the Bombers let Moore walk and waffle on Dressler, than it's a given that Walters has been having clandestine meetings with Ryan Smith in a corn field outside of Emerson.

8 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

i dont think for a second that we cant afford both dressler and carter. walters said they need to upgrade the receivers and i dont think hes not stupid to not allocate a budget to get good experienced receivers there.

The thing is he also needs to improve several other positions and NIs across the board so he simply does not have the liberty to toss money around Willy-hilly for just a couple of pieces.  However, he is in the half century rebuild mode so he may blow the budget on just two pieces and hopes he lucks out on a Walmart player or six.

Edited by Dragon37

12 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If the Bombers let Moore walk and waffle on Dressler, than it's a given that Walters has been having clandestine meetings with Ryan Smith in a corn field outside of Emerson.

LOL! If you had a choice though, which one would you prefer to sign, the youngster or the seasoned vet?

35 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Imagine if we land both Carter and Dressler?

That would be exciting. Chick lined up with Westerman, and some oline help and, well, I can dream.  ^_^

As long as we still have the cap room to go after major Canadians that may hit the market... like Ted Laurent for example, I'll be happy.. I just don't want to blow it all on Americans like Chick Dressler and Carter and not be able to sign an impact Canadian come Feb

Of course I'm super greedy so I'm hoping for Harris AND Laurent 

Edited by James

Id go after laurent alot more harder then Harris, i liked marshall at rb and if cotton is healthy again, even better.  A guy I volunteer with at a community club on saturdays does film work with the bombers, he was saying yesterday, the name of the guy escapes him but we played him on the dline our last game, could be a monster for us... anyone know who he might be refering to? He said he was as big as an olineman but plays hard on the Dline

**edit* looking at our last depth chart on nov 5th, I hope he wasnt refering to farmer or mcfarland, they were both released with brohm

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

41 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'd honestly prefer a bigger receiver but given the choice I'd take Smith over Dressler for his upside.

Honestly I don't see this upside. 

Bigger receiver? Sure great at blocking but it doesnt take a big guy to do that. And bigger doesnt always mean he's gonna win the match up battles.

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What if  he docentnsfmith is a one hit wander? Dressler is a proven guy he would be the smart and more  smithfafe bet. He makes more sense for us to go with.

Thats definitely one of the reasons I'd take dressler. It would suck some serious ass to miss on dressler waiting to see If smith either hits FA market or even If he does, signs here, AND whether or not he keeps playing like a dressler clone. Seem like alot to gamble on, when dresslers available now. If dressler and carter both dont pan out and smith hits FA then go hard (but hopefully not stupid hard unless u can get him to agree to a bonus Incentive filled contract).

I think dresslers done more then enough and consistently enough to warrant a reasonably high price tag

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What if Smith is a one hit wander? Dressler is a proven guy he would be the smart and more safe bet. He makes more sense for us to go with.

Are we in a position where we need the ''safe bet''? I'll take my chances with the younger more explosive player who has a chance to be an elite player.

8 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Are we in a position where we need the ''safe bet''? I'll take my chances with the younger more explosive player who has a chance to be an elite player.

with jobs likely on the line, I dont think Walters or Oshea are in a position to gamble. Hoping Smith hits the market and agrees to sign here isnt a luxury I think they can afford right now.  If we cant get Dressler or Carter, it might be ugly going after smith as we'd likely be now making offers in desperation. just my feeling  

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

with jobs likely on the line, I dont think Walters or Oshea are in a position to gamble. Hoping Smith hits the market and agrees to sign here isnt a luxury I think they can afford right now.  If we cant get Dressler or Carter, it might be ugly going after smith as we'd likely be now making offers in desperation. just my feeling  

Smith is almost just as good as Dressler is right now, will be cheaper to sign and has the ability to be better than Dressler ever was.

could be, but he hasnt done it consistently YET. Im not trying to say Smith couldnt be well worth the risk, but its a pretty big risk, plus no promise right now he even hits FA. What would the bidding war be like across the league? If it turns out he does shake loose and the price is right by all means, but if we have already signed dressler id take a pass and either go after carter if were still trying to strengthen the receivers, or spend elsewhere, our DLine needs a 2nd DE just as bad if not worse