Last game day thread of the season

bigg jay

Winnipeg at Toronto - CFL game notes.

- Before their last game (a 27-20 defeat at home to Ottawa) the previous four Bombers’ games were each decided by 3 points or less. The only other time in CFL history that any team had 4 consecutive games decided by 3 points or less was Saskatchewan in 1987.

- Winnipeg – 4 Starting QBs: With the loss of #1 QB Drew Willy after just 7 games, the Bombers have had to employ four different starting QBs this season. This week, if the club elects to start Dominique Davis over Matt Nichols, that would push the total to 5 different QB Starters – one short of the all-time CFL record set by Winnipeg in 1983. That year, the Bombers started (in order) Mark Jackson, Nickie Hall, Dieter Brock, John Hufnagel, Norman Gibbs and Tom Clements. Kudos to Paul Wiecek for pushing the research on this record.

- Ricky Ray brings a 5-1 record vs Winnipeg for Toronto into this game. That 5-1 mark has come against 4 different Winnipeg starting QBs with Davis or Nichols potentially his fifth opposing QB. He has started against Alex Brink, Buck Pierce, Max Hall and Drew Willy since 2012.

- The Argos’ starting QB brings a 99-90-1 record into the final regular season game of 2015 and can join seven other CFL QBs at the 100-win mark: Anthony Calvillo 167, Damon Allen 163, Ron Lancaster 158, Tracy Ham 115, Henry Burris 113, Danny McManus 103 and Matt Dunigan 100. This would be his 24th career start vs Winnipeg (12-10-1). His 100th win as a starter would tie Matt Dunigan for #7 all-time.

- Greg Jones: Trying to reach 100 tackles and enters the final game with 94. Only Darryl Ford (113, 1991), Calvin Tiggle (121, 1994) and Kevin Eiben (110 in 2004, 113 in 2005 & 100 in 2010) have reached 100 DT in a season for Toronto. If Jones and Kahlil Bass (93) can make it to 100 that would be a CFL record of 5 in one year at 100+ tackles.

- Kahlil Bass: A search through Blue Bombers’ rookie tackle records revealed that Kahlil Bass is now #1 all-time for single-season high. The previous mark was set by Ryland Wickman in 2000 with 84.

- Jamaal Westerman: The first-year CFLer is #2 in the CFL in sacks with 15. He could become the first Winnipeg player to lead the entire CFL in QB sacks since Philip Hunt in 2010 (16).

Toronto won the 1st game 27-20 with Marve at QB. That was the game wher Marshall caught that short pass from Marve and rambled 56 yards for a TD.

Also, Lirim was 4-4 including. 53 yarder.

- ****The main difference in the last time the Bombers and Argos met was the turnover margin won by Toronto 4-0. Sacks were even at 3, TOP differed by just 0:10, and the margin after each of the first three quarters was no larger than two points.

I'll be PVRing the game since I got Wheat Kings tix for tonight.  Be nice to actually watch a Bomber win when I get home and not just delete it right away because I can't stomach sitting through another loss.  Fingers crossed.  

Then we can finally flush this season down the mighty Ferguson and move onto next season.  Without Bellefool I hope.