Fed Up Fan: $5 dollars to get rid of a ticket?

from the bleacher report

What makes someone a true fan? This is a question that has been asked for years. Is it someone who can buy everything the team sells or is it someone who goes to every game? 

I will try to shed some light on this argument. 

Fans come in many shapes, sizes, and even colors. (Red, Gold, and Blue not races) Some will go with the team across the country while others only go to home games. Some have the best seat in the house every time while others are lucky to afford a ticket at all. Does any of that make a person a fan?

No. The fact that you try and get out to the games and paint yourself does not make you a true fan. But what about the people who spend money that they don't have because they love their team so much? Well to those people I say get your priorities straight. 

A true fan does not need to even own one piece of merchandise from their team for all I care. They just need to feel what the team feels and believe with all their heart that their team will win.  

This is why there are a few fans i must mention. The Oakland Raider fans are some of the most fiery fans there are. Do not even try to argue with me, they are. They defend their team even though they very well know that their team can not win the championship this year. 

I am not "hating" on Raider fans, quite the contrary, in fact I am tipping my hat to them. If you talk about anyone on their team they will let you have it. This can easily be seen in a few of my last stories, in which Raider fans attack every bit about the article—including the writer himself (me).

They back up every argument with facts and emotion. This is a real sign of a true fan.

Back to the point. A true fan follows every game regardless of the record and is optimistic no matter how bad the situation gets. You must realize that being a fan sometimes means you put your logic aside to truly accept a team.

So if you are emotionally attached to your team and you embrace it instead of reject it then you are in fact a true fan.

Exactly.

from the bleacher report

What makes someone a true fan? This is a question that has been asked for years. Is it someone who can buy everything the team sells or is it someone who goes to every game? 

I will try to shed some light on this argument. 

Fans come in many shapes, sizes, and even colors. (Red, Gold, and Blue not races) Some will go with the team across the country while others only go to home games. Some have the best seat in the house every time while others are lucky to afford a ticket at all. Does any of that make a person a fan?

No. The fact that you try and get out to the games and paint yourself does not make you a true fan. But what about the people who spend money that they don't have because they love their team so much? Well to those people I say get your priorities straight. 

A true fan does not need to even own one piece of merchandise from their team for all I care. They just need to feel what the team feels and believe with all their heart that their team will win.  

This is why there are a few fans i must mention. The Oakland Raider fans are some of the most fiery fans there are. Do not even try to argue with me, they are. They defend their team even though they very well know that their team can not win the championship this year. 

I am not "hating" on Raider fans, quite the contrary, in fact I am tipping my hat to them. If you talk about anyone on their team they will let you have it. This can easily be seen in a few of my last stories, in which Raider fans attack every bit about the article—including the writer himself (me).

They back up every argument with facts and emotion. This is a real sign of a true fan.

Back to the point. A true fan follows every game regardless of the record and is optimistic no matter how bad the situation gets. You must realize that being a fan sometimes means you put your logic aside to truly accept a team.

So if you are emotionally attached to your team and you embrace it instead of reject it then you are in fact a true fan.

Exactly.

There is always gonna be two sides to this story.. This is the side I tend to gravitate shockingly.

To say its bullshit tho is a bit much.. I dont call the way you have been being a fan or even the other detractors methods as bullshit. Ive learned to accept it a helluva lot better then before.

I don't buy the "emotionally attached" phrase. I prefer "emotionally invested". Emotionally attached means I can let go of a team as a fan whenever I want or when I get upset. Or just don't care anymore.

I have 50 plus years emotionally invested in the Blue Bombers. I remember games, players, even plays from years ago that I could describe to you all the way back to the 1960's. That means I have loved the team & the players that played in Blue & Gold. If I was just emotionally  attached, I probably could care less if they win or lose & would have stopped being a fan of the Blue Bombers years ago.

I'll tell you what I believe emotionally attached is. Being a Blue Jays fan because they are making a World Series run. Six months ago, most Canadians didn't care about the Blue Jays. People latched on or "attached" to the team because they started winning & it became cool to be a Blue Jays fan. Most probably know very little about the team & would give you a blank stare if you asked them about Joe Carter or Dave Stieb. Truth is, they'll let go from their attachment as early as today if the Royals beat them to take the ALCS. To me, that's what attachment means. Very few fans across Canada are emotionally invested in the Blue Jays.

Fans that are emotionally invested means being able to question their team & the way it is played & coached. There is nothing wrong with that. They may not like what's going on but they stick with their team even if they are angry. In good times  & bad. To be happy, sad or angry. Not just when times are good. 

I'm not emotionally attached to the Blue Bombers. I'm emotionally invested. That's how I see it anyway. 

There is always gonna be two sides to this story.. This is the side I tend to gravitate shockingly.

To say its bullshit tho is a bit much.. I dont call the way you have been being a fan or even the other detractors methods as bullshit. Ive learned to accept it a helluva lot better then before.

To do things the way they're described in that blog is one thing - if that's someone's choice, that's all well and good. But to suggest that's the ONLY way as the blog does? Bullshit.

I don't buy the "emotionally attached" phrase. I prefer "emotionally invested". Emotionally attached means I can let go of a team as a fan whenever I want or when I get upset. Or just don't care anymore.

I have 50 plus years emotionally invested in the Blue Bombers. I remember games, players, even plays from years ago that I could describe to you all the way back to the 1960's. That means I have loved the team & the players that played in Blue & Gold. If I was just emotionally  attached, I probably could care less if they win or lose & probably would have stopped being a fan of the Blue Bombers years ago.

I'll tell you what I believe emotionally attached is. Being a Blue Jays fan because they are making a World Series run. Six months ago, most Canadians didn't care about the Blue Jays. People latched on or "attached" to the team because they started winning & it became cool to be a Blue Jays fan. Most probably know very little about the team & would give you a blank stare if you asked them about Joe Carter or Dave Stieb. Truth is, they'll let go from their attachment as early as today if the Royals beat them to take the ALCS. To me, that's what attachment means. Very few fans across Canada are emotionally invested in the Blue Jays.

Fans that are emotionally invested means being able to question their team & the way it is played & coached. There is nothing wrong with that. They may not like what's going on but they stick with their team even if they are angry. In good times  & bad. To be happy, sad or angry. Not just when times are good. 

I'm not emotionally attached to the Blue Bombers.I'm emotionally invested. That's how I see it anyway. 

Probably the best post you've ever had. Well written!

I have 50 plus years emotionally invested in the Blue Bombers. I remember games, players, even plays from years ago that I could describe to you all the way back to the 1960's. That means I have loved the team & the players that played in Blue & Gold. If I was just emotionally  attached, I probably could care less if they win or lose & probably would have stopped being a fan of the Blue Bombers years ago.

I'm not emotionally attached to the Blue Bombers.I'm emotionally invested. That's how I see it anyway. 

Thank you. That Bleacher Report description of a being a fan is absolutely out of touch. 

I have 50 plus years emotionally invested in the Blue Bombers. I remember games, players, even plays from years ago that I could describe to you all the way back to the 1960's. That means I have loved the team & the players that played in Blue & Gold. If I was just emotionally  attached, I probably could care less if they win or lose & would have stopped being a fan of the Blue Bombers years ago.

I'm not emotionally attached to the Blue Bombers. I'm emotionally invested. That's how I see it anyway. 

I have nearly 50 years invested as well. You've made some very good points. We have both seen the Bombers win it all, an honour that not all fans have experienced. It occurs to me that I may never see another championship. Not that they won't win one, but that it may not happen again in my lifetime. That is a hard pill to swallow. It makes me cherish the ones I have witnessed all the more. It also makes me even more angry and frustrated with the ongoing futility of this organization.

Thank you. That Bleacher Report description of a being a fan is absolutely out of touch.

No.. No its not. Its just not your version of being a fan. And thats fine. Neither one is wrong, right? Thats what we keep hearing ad nasueum here.

No.. No its not. Its just not your version of being a fan. And thats fine. Neither one is wrong, right? Thats what we keep hearing ad nasueum here.

Not what you said earlier.  YOur response was "exactly" to the description from Bleacher Report as to what a true fan is thus implying their description as apt thereby not leaving the definition of a true fan open to alternative viewpoints.

Well I can confirm that there will be two less STH sitting behind us next year. A 26 year STH is calling quits. His wife and kids no longer care so he is packing it in. I suspect many more will too. I don't know if we will or not but at this point the only thing that makes it hard is losing prime seats and not the product product on the field. Every year this team makes me more and more a Calgary fan.

It's easy to say this now but when the new season comes around.... it's a whole other story. Don't think it will take much to bring fans back.... Couple signings... MB bring fired.... once June 2016 rolls around.... things will be different. Lots of frustration right now but... lots of time for change and cooler heads to prevail too.

I predict lots of empty seats next year. The disappointment of not playing in the Grey Cup which we are hosting combined with the fact that we couldn't even make the playoffs is going to be too much when the fans see another team celebrating on our turf.

No fan wants to be humiliated like this.

It's easy to say this now but when the new season comes around.... it's a whole other story. Don't think it will take much to bring fans back.... Couple signings... MB bring fired.... once June 2016 rolls around.... things will be different. Lots of frustration right now but... lots of time for change and cooler heads to prevail too.

Hmmm.... A drop in STH from last season to this. Another losing season, likely the same folks in charge .....

Hmmm.... A drop in STH from last season to this. Another losing season, likely the same folks in charge .....

Wade Miller doesn't strike me as a very good salesman. It could be that few fans will be buying what he is selling, especially after this disaster of a season. I wonder how empty IGF has to get before something is done.

Well I can confirm that there will be two less STH sitting behind us next year. A 26 year STH is calling quits. His wife and kids no longer care so he is packing it in. I suspect many more will too. I don't know if we will or not but at this point the only thing that makes it hard is losing prime seats and not the product product on the field. Every year this team makes me more and more a Calgary fan.

Bye felicia!

Maybe you and iso can extole the virtues of calgary here next season then!

I predict lots of empty seats next year. The disappointment of not playing in the Grey Cup which we are hosting combined with the fact that we couldn't even make the playoffs is going to be too much when the fans see another team celebrating on our turf.

No fan wants to be humiliated like this.

Lmao @ humiliated.

So the bombers fan shamed you did they? Did they put you on the jumbotron and call you out?

The embelishment from some of you lolol.

I have nearly 50 years invested as well. You've made some very good points. We have both seen the Bombers win it all, an honour that not all fans have experienced. It occurs to me that I may never see another championship. Not that they won't win one, but that it may not happen again in my lifetime. That is a hard pill to swallow. It makes me cherish the ones I have witnessed all the more. It also makes me even more angry and frustrated with the ongoing futility of this organization.

Got the same feeling you do. In 1990 when I was 35 I never could have guessed that at age 60 this team wouldn't have won since & are just a shadow of the team it used to be. And we have fans here saying we have to stay the course keeping the same people that are proving that they can't build a winner employed. 

Got the same feeling you do. In 1990 when I was 35 I never could have guessed that at age 60 this team wouldn't have won since & are just a shadow of the team it used to be. And we have fans here saying we have to stay the course keeping the same people that are proving that they can't build a winner employed. 

Sure. They can afford to wait another 25 years. We can't.

Kind of gave me a chill reading that... we talk about 25 years since a championship and it doesn't feel as long as when you put a real life number on it... you've probably seen your kids grow up and maybe had some grand kids in that time (obviously just guessing since we've never met)... and still not another championship in sight...

I'm 29 now... I was alive for the last 2 Bomber championships, but I obviously don't remember them... I've been going to games and been a die hard fan as long as I can remember... season ticket holder since 2004... The closest thing to a championship team in my lifetime was 2001 and 2007... keep thinking (hoping) it has to get better soon... but who knows anymore...

Kind of gave me a chill reading that... we talk about 25 years since a championship and it doesn't feel as long as when you put a real life number on it... you've probably seen your kids grow up and maybe had some grand kids in that time (obviously just guessing since we've never met)... and still not another championship in sight...

I'm 29 now... I was alive for the last 2 Bomber championships, but I obviously don't remember them... I've been going to games and been a die hard fan as long as I can remember... season ticket holder since 2004... The closest thing to a championship team in my lifetime was 2001 and 2007... keep thinking (hoping) it has to get better soon... but who knows anymore...

Yeah Bearpants, that's what makes it so intolerable when certain (young) posters say that we just need to stay the course and don't make a knee-jerk decision. We'd like to see another championship in our lifetime.

What about the players? Look at a guy like Milt Stegall. That man gave so much to this organization (and still is) and we couldn't repay him with a championship? Couldn't unite him with a QB and the offensive/defensive tools to win it all? Are you kidding me? I am ashamed of that fact. As frustrated as we are imagine what a competitor like #85 feels like. It's a GD disgrace.

I get the frustration with losing .. really I do .. I'm as diehard a football fan there is but even I've had a tough time getting excited going to games the last couple of seasons.  Part of it is the losing.  Part of it is the constant change in management, coaching .. inability to identify with players.  It's hard, as a fan, to make a connection with this team.  But over the course of the last 15 years (since 2000 anyway), we've been in the big show as much as any other team in the CFL .. with the exception of Montreal .. the only difference is that we haven't cashed in on our opportunities.  

test_zpsqp9qtxl1.jpg

I'm not showing this to advocate patience, just throwing the numbers out there for discussion purposes.  We win one of those championships .. a lot of this talk simply goes away .. win a few more games in the regular season .. a lot of this goes away.