Lawless on Matt Nichols

gbill2004

Nichols is improving no doubt. I'm all for signing him, and if this year throughout the CFL has shown us anything, it's that teams need to have a competent back-up QB. It's scary to think we might need to tie up $700k to make that happen, but it simply needs to happen.

I don't know if anyone watched the warm ups yesterday, but Goosen's shot-gun snaps are crisp spirals going right into the QB's bread basket. None of that rainbow crap that Picard does. And Goosen showed yesterday he can play on the line in a completely different position. So.......adios Picard which will save us some cash, and lets start Goosen next year.

Both Willy and Nichols are good pocket passers that throw a nice accurate football and are capable of making their reads. However, Willy can take an average team on his shoulders and get victories. Nichols can take an average team on his shoulders and gut out close losses. That is the difference between the two.

Nichols is a very good backup...no question about it. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Glenn. On an otherwise solid team he is a guy that I would want QBing. However, the Bombers would have a much better record than they do now with Willy at the helm. I strongly believe we would have won the last two weeks handily with him at QB. He just elevates the team around him and is able to make plays when we need them.

There does not appear to be a big drop off between Willy and Nichols in the stats department. but the difference between Willy and Nichols is apparent in the most important statistic of all...the win column with this team.

Willy was 3-1 in games he started and finished this year. Same cannot be said for Nichols.

When you have more blowout losses than wins, that ought to be enough to tell you everything you need to know.

I gotta ask you, have you seen that blowout-loss team, since the backup quarterbacking has improved?

Tracker and a few others have had an agenda for a long time now. Facts be dammed man.

Facts be damned indeed. On September 20th Nichols played for the "Blow-out loss" Bombers who showed up in Montreal. This was a game we had to win since we were chasing them for a playoff spot. Montreal led 32-3 late when the Bombers scored 11 points in garbage time. Final score was 35-14. Bombers have not won a game since. So much for the "agenda".

Yup, the Bombers played a stinky game. By my count 17 points off a fumble, and two kickoff returns, that led to two TDs. But since we can't count the points we scored (in garbage time) that absolutely means we haven't played better with better QBacking...unless you include the last 2 games against the top two teams in the West, oh, and the victory before the Montreal game. Or don't they count?

Nope, no agenda. ( for some)

There is no "agenda". The facts and record speak for themselves. I was a cautious supporter of O'Shea for the first year, less so after the team faltered once again this year. O'Shea keeps repeating the same mistakes, mistakes that a good coach does not.

There is no "agenda". The facts and record speak for themselves. I was a cautious supporter of O'Shea for the first year, less so after the team faltered once again this year. O'Shea keeps repeating the same mistakes, mistakes that a good coach does not.

Well there is but it's not the one you were accused of.   ;)

When you have more blowout losses than wins, that ought to be enough to tell you everything you need to know.

I gotta ask you, have you seen that blowout-loss team, since the backup quarterbacking has improved?

They haven't played a team with a really good offence yet ;) Calgary and Edmonton do not have killer offences. They get just enough done to win usually. Wait until they play Ottawa. Hank has a habit of dissecting Winnipeg.

They haven't played a team with a really good offence yet ;) Calgary and Edmonton do not have killer offences. They get just enough done to win usually. Wait until they play Ottawa. Hank has a habit of dissecting Winnipeg.

You are seriously going to try and suggest that Ottawa is a better team than Calgary or Edmonton? I hope that wink just means that you are being sarcastic. I will play Ottawa any day of the week, and twice on Sunday, before Calgary or Edmonton.

the def played very well on sat, the off in the 2nd half  had about 280 yards against a very good def, we gave up zero sacks, i think that is a first this year, could be wrong, oline played well in the 2nd half as well , goosen looked good at left gaurd

the coaches gave the team a chance to win, 

The only game Nicholls really played lousy was the Als game but he wasn't alone. Other than that, he's done well. He gives us a chance to win but this team needs so many things right to fall into place for us to win. Just a constant struggle.

Yep and that's what he does. I think it was Dunnigan that said it best - he's the new Kevin Glenn. He's the 'super sub'. He's better than a backup QB but he's not the guy that can lead your team.

But truth be told - it's hard to say. Drew Willy hasn't really led this team anywhere either. I said in another thread - the Bombers since their 5 - 1 start are 6 - 20. Drew Willy has started the majority of those games. Willy was absolutely terrible down the stretch last year. This year, up to his injury, he was IMO much much better - but we still were below (or at) .500 when he went down with injury, beating only Sask and B.C. IIRC. 

In other words.............. I don't think it's the quarterback th_scared.gif

And the team record since Nichols' arrival has been.....?