I can't decide if I hate Rod Black more than Glen Suitor

no71

Suitor is only annoying when the Riders are playing, otherwise he's pretty good actually. Black is just awful tho and basically kills every game he is a part of. Suitor is only awful when the riders are playing because it's obvious he's a rider prider... If not tho, he's ok.

Black is the worst announcer pro sports have by a mile... it's not even close. 

Fixed that for you.

Rod Black 's continued existence has spurred me to practice concentration on the game so that I hear the down and distance estimates (usually visibly wrong) but ignore all commentary while still hearing crowd noise and other incidental sound which (for me) is crucial to the complete enjoyment of the game experience. It requires zen like concentration so I thank Rod Black for that and nothing else. 

Black is terrible when it come to doing play by play of any sport. Suitor becomes even more unbearable when the Riders are winning, but the worst in Dunnigan, he tries to hard to be cool for a guy whose 54.

No the best part about Dunigan is that he doesn't tried hard, he's just so amped up by football naturally he can't help but be as excited as he is. 

Black is terrible when it come to doing play by play of any sport. Suitor becomes even more unbearable when the Riders are winning, but the worst in Dunnigan, he tries to hard to be cool for a guy whose 54.

No the best part about Dunigan is that he doesn't tried hard, he's just so amped up by football naturally he can't help but be as excited as he is. 

Agreed. You can tell the Dunnigan loves to watch the games. Sometimes to a comical extreme but for the most part he is, hands down, the best colour guy TSN has for the CFL.

I usually watch the games on PVR and use the skip button a lot. So I get to miss the crap between plays. When Matt is doing a game, I listen to him.

I'd be happy if they all learned that sometimes if you say less people might pay more attention and be more interested in what you say.

That's an industry problem moreso than an individual one though. They don't want em to leave dead air, gotta fill it some how. Wish they'd take a page from British sports broadcasting, they'll regularly just shut up and watch the play then talk about it after. 

I often feel that the Rod Black hate around here is overblown, like it's the one negative thing people here can agree on without name-calling each other, so it gets over-exaggerated how bad he is. Funny that people hate on him for being so hyper when he calls a game as a massive failing, but laud Matt Dunigan for exactly the same personality quirk (betting that if Matty never wore Blue and Gold he'd get ragged on a lot more, like Climie or Schultz do), but to each their own I guess. I think he still makes mistakes (as do others, but not being scrutinized quite as closely for every gaffe), and yeah, his voice goes up a few octaves when the play is going on (not good given his nasal tone at times), but he's better than he was. Just a matter of taste I suppose (and BTW as an aside, since earlier renditions of this topic branched out to other broadcasters and I expressed my disdain for Paul Edmonds calling Jets games, I will say I heard his broadcast of the Wild game last night and he seemed to be keeping up with the play better and being less wordy, so good on him for working his craft).

I always remember the worst gaffe of Black's career, which was a post-game interview in Lillehammer after Canada had just lost the gold medal game to Sweden in a shootout. One of the junior players is offering some insight into the devastating loss, and Black brings up his father, who had died of cancer a few months before:

"You told your dad just before he died that you'd bring home the gold for him. Now that you've come away with the silver, do you think he'd be........(long awkward pause during which I'm sure the director was screaming into his earpiece not to suggest his dad would be disappointed in his son for failing to keep his promise), what are you thoughts about him at this moment and your journey here?"

THAT was cringe-worthy. Now I find him tolerable, if not infrequently too excitable (but hey, that's his schtick, so be it). Just happy we have enough broadcast teams to cover every CFL game now.

As for Suitor, can't be bothered to get too worked up about him either, but where as Black is just an equal opportunity cheerleader for all teams and players in an effort to pump up the broadcast, Suitor has let his bias show from time to time (although again, less so now than in the past). But any commentary on Suitor for me begins and ends with his two-word analysis of "the greatest football play of all time" (so says Milt Stegall). 100 yard last play bomb from Glenn to Stegall in double coverage to beat the Eskimos in Edmonton, and these were the pearls of wisdom from various broadcasters:

Bob Irving: "He caught the ball between two stunned Eskimo defenders; I don't think Stegall could believe it himself. The Bombers win on a miraculous play, and who could have imagined that."

Bryan Hall: "Stegall, GONE!" (repeat, 100 times or so)

Chris Cuthbert: "This is unbelievable. Milt Stegall, the most remarkable touchdown of his career, and it's 100 yards, and the Bombers win!"

Glen Suitor: "Oh no!"

I often feel that the Rod Black hate around here is overblown

I'll stop you right there (not that the rest of your post doesn't have merit & valid points).  You can go to non-Bomber CFL boards and find the same criticism of Black.  It's definitely not just a MBB thing.  Google the Rod Black drinking game and the 1st results are from the RF board.

I often feel that the Rod Black hate around here is overblown, like it's the one negative thing people here can agree on without name-calling each other, so it gets over-exaggerated how bad he is. Funny that people hate on him for being so hyper when he calls a game as a massive failing, but laud Matt Dunigan for exactly the same personality quirk (betting that if Matty never wore Blue and Gold he'd get ragged on a lot more, like Climie or Schultz do), but to each their own I guess. I think he still makes mistakes (as do others, but not being scrutinized quite as closely for every gaffe), and yeah, his voice goes up a few octaves when the play is going on (not good given his nasal tone at times), but he's better than he was. Just a matter of taste I suppose (and BTW as an aside, since earlier renditions of this topic branched out to other broadcasters and I expressed my disdain for Paul Edmonds calling Jets games, I will say I heard his broadcast of the Wild game last night and he seemed to be keeping up with the play better and being less wordy, so good on him for working his craft).

I always remember the worst gaffe of Black's career, which was a post-game interview in Lillehammer after Canada had just lost the gold medal game to Sweden in a shootout. One of the junior players is offering some insight into the devastating loss, and Black brings up his father, who had died of cancer a few months before:

"You told your dad just before he died that you'd bring home the gold for him. Now that you've come away with the silver, do you think he'd be........(long awkward pause during which I'm sure the director was screaming into his earpiece not to suggest his dad would be disappointed in his son for failing to keep his promise), what are you thoughts about him at this moment and your journey here?"

THAT was cringe-worthy. Now I find him tolerable, if not infrequently too excitable (but hey, that's his schtick, so be it). Just happy we have enough broadcast teams to cover every CFL game now.

As for Suitor, can't be bothered to get too worked up about him either, but where as Black is just an equal opportunity cheerleader for all teams and players in an effort to pump up the broadcast, Suitor has let his bias show from time to time (although again, less so now than in the past). But any commentary on Suitor for me begins and ends with his two-word analysis of "the greatest football play of all time" (so says Milt Stegall). 100 yard last play bomb from Glenn to Stegall in double coverage to beat the Eskimos in Edmonton, and these were the pearls of wisdom from various broadcasters:

Bob Irving: "He caught the ball between two stunned Eskimo defenders; I don't think Stegall could believe it himself. The Bombers win on a miraculous play, and who could have imagined that."

Chris Cuthbert: "This is unbelievable. Milt Stegall, the most remarkable touchdown of his career, and it's 100 yards, and the Bombers win!"

No the problem with Black is that it's all forced, with Dunigan it's genuine. You can't fake that kind of excitement but Black tries. It's not about any biases either, it's about whether someone is good at their job or not and there are a lot of variables to that. There is no one size fits all broadcaster but most of the ones TSN uses are terrible. Cuthbert and Dunigan are the best two by far. Cuthbert because he's just a pro and knows what his job is as the commentator and doesn't try and step outside of that role too much, Dunigan because he has that genuine enthusiasm that too many people (ie. Duane Forde) try hard to fake but it just comes across as painful. 

No the problem with Black is that it's all forced, with Dunigan it's genuine. You can't fake that kind of excitement but Black tries. It's not about any biases either, it's about whether someone is good at their job or not and there are a lot of variables to that. There is no one size fits all broadcaster but most of the ones TSN uses are terrible. Cuthbert and Dunigan are the best two by far. Cuthbert because he's just a pro and knows what his job is as the commentator and doesn't try and step outside of that role too much, Dunigan because he has that genuine enthusiasm that too many people (ie. Duane Forde) try hard to fake but it just comes across as painful. 

That's a very fair comment and I hadn't considered that angle. Good point.