2015-2016 training camp

Ducky

Teemu was with the Jets for 4 years, Hawerchuk was with the Jets for 9.

Hawerchuk has 1409 points in 1188 games....Teemu has 1457 points in 1451 games.

I can't see how this is even debatable seeing as Teemu was only here for 4 years.

It depends how old you are??????????????

If you are younger, Teemu was the better draft pick and if you are older, Hawerchuk was????

Hawerchuk was the face of the franchise for 9 years. Best player to ever don a Jets' uniform...period.

Hawerchuk can here as a 18 year old and put this franchise on his back. Us old timers memory may be fading but there's no comparison between the two as far a being a Jet is concerned. For me Temmu had a great rookie season that took the city over, but Selanne will always be know as a Anaheim Duck.

Some of us aren't really old enough to remember Hawerchuk as a jet tho. It's like the whole Michael Jordan vs LeBron James thing or Gretzky vs Crosby. One generation will say one guy.. other generation will say the other. I'm not old enough to remember Hawerchuk. I remember Teemu. I remember Tkachuk. I don't remember Hawerchuk and barely remember those 2 also. Jets left when I was like 10 11 12. Don't really remember

I'd rather they not retire any numbers. Hang their name & number from the rafters in tribute,but leave the number in circulation.

I get some number retirements, like Gretzky's 99 or Lemieux's 66 in Pittsburgh, where they were so great that anybody wearing that number would look like an idiot. We've certainly never had anybody here at that level to worry about it though.

I'd rather they not retire any numbers. Hang their name & number from the rafters in tribute,but leave the number in circulation.

I get some number retirements, like Gretzky's 99 or Lemieux's 66 in Pittsburgh, where they were so great that anybody wearing that number would look like an idiot. We've certainly never had anybody here at that level to worry about it though.

I tend to agree.  Unless the player is really special.  Despite not being a long-time Jet, I'd say Teemu qualifies.  It wont bother me if he only gets "honored" but I would also be fine with him being retired.  Ofcourse, the fact he wore 13 only because 8 was unavailable changes that a bit too.

Some interesting stats here on the average weight, height, and age of each NHL team. Some people worry that the Jets are too small, but surprisingly they are second in weight and first in height!! Not surprisingly they are one of the youngest teams, but the oldest is Florida which is interesting as they seemed to be one of these teams with a lot of young talent.

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2015/10/2015-16-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

You take out a guy like Buff from the Jets and the weight drops dramatically... You remove old man Jagr from Florida and their age drops dramatically too. Florida is a young team but they have the oldest player in the league in Jagr and a not so young anymore Luongo. You take those 2 guys out and do it again and Flordia drops considerably.

Just like with Buff and the Jets, remove him and our average team weight drops significantly . 

True enough, significant outliers can change average values quite a bit. But if you remove Buff then it would only be fair to also remove the lightest player as you could have someone who is far lighter than everyone else. Median is probably a better measure than mean if you have significant outliers.

Out of curiosity I looked up the Jets roster to have a quick look. Removing Buff and Ehlers (the lightest player) would move the Jets down a couple spots in average weight, but would still be one of the heaviest teams. And the median of all of the players is almost the same as the mean. In the end it doesn't mean much, just thought it was interesting as the Jets don't seem to be as small a team as some might have thought.

I'm surprised Petan is heavier than Ehlers.

I also agree with not only taking Buff out but the lightest as well.

I am guessing that most if not all teams have a few outliers.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but what difference does it make when the guy played. Rocket Richard's heyday was the fifties. Does that make him any less a player? Beliveau? Morenz? Howe? Lafleur? etc...

As someone said earlier, Hawerchuk took the all time worst losing team (9 wins) on his back and carried them out of the basement and into the playoffs his first year in the league. He was and continues to be a class act. I can't even ever remember any bad press about him.

By the way, nobody should compare Gretzky to Crosby, no comparison.

Mario was so good he could take nights off and still be the greatest hockey player that ever loved.

I officially rank then 1.Mario 2. Wayne. The rest is just the rest.

Great players don't take many nights off....

Gretzky is head and shoulders above everyone else...he almost averaged 2 points per game during his career....think about that for a minute.

I am not a huge Gretzky fan and hated the whiner when he played. Doesn't take away from what he did though.