2015-2016 training camp

Ducky

Andrew Ladd says he'll, "have to consider," shutting down talks with #nhljets once regular season begins if deal isn't reached. Column soon

— gary lawless (@garylawless)

October 1, 2015

Negotiation posturing?

negotiation tactic and quite honestly, Im disappointed Ladd would say that publicly.  You're the captain of the team.  Negotiations are what they but thats for your agent and the Jets to work on behind closed doors.  Wrong thing for Ladd to say. 

If he DOES shut down talks, trade him.  And I'd trade him sooner rather than later so we arent in the position of trading a core piece at the deadline that risks sinking our own season.  I'd rather have a poor season on the back of a re-tooling then to fall out of the hunt after trading Ladd and Buff at the deadline.

Man I really like Petan with Ladd and Little over Burmi . If Petan stays has to be top 3 lines.No need to waste him on the fourth line when he would get top 6 minutes in the AHL.What would be the point in wasting Petans talent playing only 8 min a game?

Thoughts

Scheif is going to lead the team in scoring. He looks like the most complete player.

Really like chiarot. Looks to have increased his offensive confidence.

Petan makes things happen.

Ehlers very exciting.

Not much from burmi

What was Peluso thinking? Probably that he had done nothing this year and was competing with Raffl for a spot. If Raffl can fight then sign him waive Peluso. Raffl is good.

Ladd hurt already?

Myers is very talented.

Also hutch was solid.

Lawless did his Twitter questions this morning.

- Doesn't think Raffl will accept an AHL assignment.  Isn't sure there is room for him on the Jets. Thinks he will go back to Austria

- 99% that Ehlers made the team

- Thinks Petan made the team (4th line to start), though not set in stone..  Doesn't see anyone ahead of him right now, but 3 other players playing for that spot and 1 more game to go

- No Progress No Talks on Buff's contract

- Lipon on the bubble 

Makes sense for Lipon to go back to Moose.

Im on the fence with Petan.  Realistically, he's good enough to make the team.  If he loses the spot to Peluso or Raffl or Lipon or whomever, it wont be because they beat him on talent or versatility.  But there might be something to be said for playing big time, top line, top PP minutes for the Moose.  On the Jets, he will play the 7 minute 4th line role and Maurice will try and get him some extra minutes but it wont be the same as playing 20 minutes for the Moose.

Hopefully they find a way to keep Raffl.

Caught a bit of the discussion on 1290 this morning regarding the Peluso fight in last night’s game.

Raffle initiated the fight and was about to start when Peluso steps in to take over. 

Was this a case of Peluso doing his job or trying to protect his job?  Both these guys could be considered to be on the bubble this year.  If Raffle shows he can fight, does that make Peluso more expendable?

Caught a bit of the discussion on 1290 this morning regarding the Peluso fight in last night’s game.

Raffle initiated the fight and was about to start when Peluso steps in to take over. 

Was this a case of Peluso doing his job or trying to protect his job?  Both these guys could be considered to be on the bubble this year.  If Raffle shows he can fight, does that make Peluso more expendable?

At first I thought "way to go Peluso" but I think it was Peluso being very concerned.  He didnt play well, has shown nothing and Raffl is a much better every day player on that 4th line.  And if Raffl can fight, why keep Peluso.  But now we will never know. 

I also thought it was cheap.  If it wasnt Raffl...if it was Ehlers or Scheif or Petan or whomever, then all day long jump in and protect your guy.  But if the roles were reversed and an opposing player challenged...say, Burmi to a fight and they dropped their gloves and suddenly that team's enforcer jumped in, we'd be calling for a suspension.

At first I thought "way to go Peluso" but I think it was Peluso being very concerned.  He didnt play well, has shown nothing and Raffl is a much better every day player on that 4th line.  And if Raffl can fight, why keep Peluso.  But now we will never know. 

I also thought it was cheap.  If it wasnt Raffl...if it was Ehlers or Scheif or Petan or whomever, then all day long jump in and protect your guy.  But if the roles were reversed and an opposing player challenged...say, Burmi to a fight and they dropped their gloves and suddenly that team's enforcer jumped in, we'd be calling for a suspension.

The problem with that is Bollig isn't like Burmi.  Bollig is a fighter.  So it would be like if a player challenged Peluso to a fight and their enforcer jumped in.  I don't think there would be quite the up roar.  That is the only thing that makes me hesitate on this.  Did Peluso think that Raffl would have been in over his head.

I'd defer to the coaches.   if they think it was a good thing, so be it.  But Raffl didnt seem like he was hesitating.  And he's not a "skilled" player per se who you'd want to protect from himself.  I think it was Peluso looking for something all game, I bet and was going to make his opportunity to remind management what he brings to the table.

Raffl has fought before, but he's not in the same class as Peluso. Other than maybe John Scott, I'm not sure there's a better fighter in the league.

Peluso knows his job. I'm sure his thought process at the time was that nobody on his team will have to fight while he's on the ice. I don't believe that in the heat of the moment he was thinking about Raffl taking his job.

Raffl has fought before, but he's not in the same class as Peluso. Other than maybe John Scott, I'm not sure there's a better fighter in the league.

John Scott is over-rated.  He's huge and uses that to his advantage very well but he's not a great fighter.  At the end of the 2013-14 season, he got tuned by a rookie in his 1st (regular season) fight.  https://youtu.be/ao8qZ3huAdk

The overall best fighter is hard to gauge these days since the enforcers either don't play much or get the chance to go against each other.  Deryk Engelland dominated most of his fights in 2014-15 and Brian McGrattan was the man in 2013-14 but barely played last year.

Peluso is definitely top 5 (imo) though. 

John Scott is over-rated.  He's huge and uses that to his advantage very well but he's not a great fighter.  At the end of the 2013-14 season, he got tuned by a rookie in his 1st (regular season) fight.  https://youtu.be/ao8qZ3huAdk

The overall best fighter is hard to gauge these days since the enforcers either don't play much or get the chance to go against each other.  Deryk Engelland dominated most of his fights in 2014-15 and Brian McGrattan was the man in 2013-14 but barely played last year.

Scott wins almost all of his fights, most of them decisively. He doesn't have to be a great technical fighter when he's that big. Nobody wins every fight though. He got the best of Engelland a couple seasons ago. I don't like him though, as he's the worst of what fighting is in hockey. He can't play and acts lke a bully, going after non-fighters.

I was a big fan of Engelland when he was a Pen. Koed Orr as a rookie.

Scott wins almost all of his fights, most of them decisively. He doesn't have to be a great technical fighter when he's that big. Nobody wins every fight though. He got the best of Engelland a couple seasons ago. I don't like him though, as he's the worst of what fighting is in hockey. He can't play and acts lke a bully, going after non-fighters.

Scott does win decisively most of the time, I will give him that but the quality of the fights isn't there.  Check him out on www.hockeyfights.com and look at how low his fight ratings are and who they are against.  He only fought 3 times in the regular season last year with 2 being in one game against the same guy (Tim Jackman - who didn't even receive a fighting penalty the 2nd time).  If he  actually fought another fighter like he used to 4-5 years ago, I think I'd rate him higher.

Luke Gadzic & Ryan Reaves are another couple guys I'd put in the top 5.

Scott does win decisively most of the time, I will give him that but the quality of the fights isn't there.  Check him out on www.hockeyfights.com and look at how low his fight ratings are and who they are against.  He only fought 3 times in the regular season last year with 2 being in one game against the same guy (Tim Jackman - who didn't even receive a fighting penalty the 2nd time).  If he  actually fought another fighter like he used to 4-5 years ago, I think I'd rate him higher.

Luke Gadzic & Ryan Reaves are another couple guys I'd put in the top 5.

Until Buff reminds him he's a mediocre NHL caliber player at best. See last year.

I'm still in love with that hit Buff delivered him. A beauty. Fair but aggressive. That's one of the main reasons I especially enjoy watching hockey and football.