Paul Postma
Ben Chiarot
Jay Harrison
Dustin Byfuglien

Goalies:

Ondrej Pavelec
Connor Hellebuyck
Michael Hutchinson

27 Players and need to get down to 23.   So that leaves 4 more cuts barring anyone going to the IR.

I think the following will be sent down:

Connor Hellebuyck
JC Lipon
Jay Harrisson (or Pardy)
Anthony Peluso (or Raffl)

Alternatively they may keep all 9 D-men and send Petan down as he wouldn't have to clear waivers, and bring Petan back up as injuries happen.  Much more flexibility to carry 9 D-men with the Moose in Winnipeg as it means you can quickly bring up a forward if you need to.

Not surprised by Lemieux.  Really a no brainer when you have junior time left unless the talent is really, really there.  No need to rush him for that role.

Surprised by Armia.  He played well.  Hopefully he gets top six minutes for Manitoba and becomes a potential call up. 

Halischuk and Fraser give the Moose some more veteran leadership.  I figured Hali was the 12/13 forward for sure.  So lets assume it's Copp-Thorburn.  Who's the 12th and 13th forward?  Im surprised Petan is still being looked at.  Maybe they really like him for the second PP unit and want to try to fit him in somewhere.

Another way to put it. Those on the fence...

Forwards

Thomas Raffl*

Anthony Peluso

Nic Petan

Nikolaj Ehlers
 JC Lipon

Defence
 Adam Pardy
 Paul Postma
 Jay Harrison

Goalies
 Connor Hellebuyck
 Michael Hutchinson

Hutch should have a big edge but the way PaMa has pulled him this year...

Harrison as well but they might keep 2 dmen. It's a flip em between Pardy/Postma.

3/4 spots open for the above listed forwards. Who gonna play with Copp?

J.C. Lipon? Who saw that coming? Dark horse pick.

Armia was invisible. All hype and looked lost.

Thats a good point except its completely untrue.  At worst, he faded as camp went on but did not look like all hype or lost.

Very interesting keeping Helle.  I wonder if contracts and the Moose will play a part.  For example, if Maurice says to Chevy, Helle is our guy, does Chevy say wellllll, but we can send him to the Moose, Hutch needs waivers and the Moose would be better with Helle and Comrie rather than Comrie and whomever...

2011 drafted player. It's 2015. He got hype but didn't take advantage of his opportunity. Olsen got praised too but sent down. Fact is Armia has been passed on the depth chart by several players.

He's only been on our depth chart since the trade last season, and I really doubt he was ever thought of more highly than either Petan or Ehlers by the Jets brass.

If you take a look at the other players drafted around Armia in the 1st round, there are some that have played more NHL games than him, but not many.

Different players mature at different times.  

He will be 23 in May.  He does have to start showing something soon.  But time hasn't passed him yet.

Armia did nothing. Morrissey will be a future top 4 but needs time. The rest aren't shocking. Interesting to note that Lipon survives this round. Lemieux has Jr eligibility left. Everyone who has to will clear waivers

Armia was a major disappointment  for the jets brass and Morrissey needs to learn the pro game. My big surprises are Lipon and Raffl as alot of people didn't think to much about Lipon at this time and Raffl came here out of left field. The rest is not that surprising as Petan and Ehlers will get some games at the beginning of the season i think. Raffl signs a 2 way contract do know if he starts with Moose or Jets. 

Armia did nothing. Morrissey will be a future top 4 but needs time. The rest aren't shocking. Interesting to note that Lipon survives this round. Lemieux has Jr eligibility left. Everyone who has to will clear waivers

Armia was a major disappointment  for the jets brass

Where was this quoted by Maurice or Chevy?

No quote just my opinion from watching the last few games, if he would have impressed the jets management he would still be with the big team. He's been passed by Petan and Ehlers who are both younger and showed better so far in training camp. I'm not saying he will never be a Jet but at 22 his time is ticking also staring to think the better prospect we picked up in the trade is Lemieux.

staring to think the better prospect we picked up in the trade is Lemieux.

You're just starting to think this now? The Jets pretty much came out and said as much when the deal was made.

Never seen either of them play so yeah i like to make my own mind up after seeing them play. Never heard that but I did hear at the time of the trade that the Jets said that Armia was the more ready of the 2 to be in the NHL in a few years.

Arctic ice Hockey

The Winnipeg Jets initiated their latest round of training camp cuts, and there were some reassignments of note. With Patrice Cormier, Matt Fraser and Matt Halischuk on waivers, they would appear consigned to the role of AHL call-up depth. This leaves Andrew Copp, Nik Ehlers, JC Lipon, Nic Petan and Thomas Raffl to fight over however many open forward spots there may be, an unknown number considering the abundance of defencemen still hanging around. At least one, if not two of those remaining combatants will find themselves on the chopping block in the not-too-distant future.

Of the other names who have been reassigned, Josh Morrissey's chances were always hampered by Winnipeg's glut of defencemen on one-way contracts. Scott Kosmachuk was as much if not more so a fringe candidate for the bottom-six as the aforementioned Halischuk and Fraser. Brendan Lemieux generated a fair amount of buzz and speculation, but ultimately didn't curry enough favour to offset the developmental benefits of going back to Barrie.

Joel Armia constitutes perhaps the only genuine eyebrow-raiser. Armia was a player expected by some to be a full time NHLer come 2015-16, prior to being a not-insignificant piece of the Evander Kane trade. As a 22-year-old former first round draft pick with a couple of AHL seasons already under his belt, he was an easy candidate to pencil in as part of the Jets apparent youth movement. But in what was likely a disappointment for the organization, he failed to blow the doors off this training camp. And if the decision was a toss-up between Joel Armia and, say, Thomas Raffl, as Mike Babcock once uttered, "The tie goes to the veteran".

It must be said though, that failing to make the Winnipeg Jets out of training camp does not mean we should write Joel Armia off as a prospect or NHL possibility. Rather than playing limited minutes in the Jets' bottom-six (and almost assuredly on the 4th rather than 3rd line), Armia will likely see significant playing time in the Manitoba Moose top-six, while still under the watchful eye of the Jets braintrust. Armia struggled with the organizational system (while possibly playing injured) when first joining the IceCaps last season; another year in the AHL gives him time to further grow into it. And as a waiver-exempt player still on his ELC, the Jets can provide him that time without the risk of losing him for nothing.

What do you make of the most recent wave of cuts? Be sure to share your thoughts in the Comments section below, and as always, thanks for reading!

It was fun to speculate but really there's only room for two prospects on the roster (Copp and Ehlers or Petan).  Coaches gave the 4th line C to Copp before camp even started...  probably same for Ehlers...

Armia will be the first call up.

Surprised that Fraser bombed - thought Chevy would pull another one out of his hat... guess not.

Joel Armia ... didn't do enough to keep up with the big team...played good D, would have like to have seen him play with some more offensively talented players. He'll get 1st or 2nd line ice ti me with the Moose.
Eric Comrie ... nobody expected him to make the team. I think he showed well and I would have graded him high in game time.
Chase De Leo ... big surprise for me he was sent down this early. I thought he played well every chance he got.
Scott Kosmachuk ... didn't have a good young stars tourney and didn't do much in preseason.
Jan Kostalek ... I think he played pretty good and has a good chance to make the big team in a few years.
Josh Morrissey ... To me, the biggest dissapointment of camp as I thought he had a really good chance of sticking before the young stars tourney.
Ryan Olsen ... This guy opened my eyes. I can see him on the 4th line within a year. Smart player.

Lemieux ... I didn't expect him to make the big team but he played pretty good. Needs to improve on his skating. Too bad the Moose isn't an option.

I think 2 or 3 of these players would make some teams in the league and just because they aren't starting with the Moose doesn't mean they won't be called up this season.

I'm thinking the reason some of these players won't get a 9 game look is because the Jets need every single point they can get to make the playoffs. It would be nice not to meet the Ducks in the 1st round again.

Loved Maurice's comments after the game when asked by a reporter, that judging by your comments, you have some frustration with your opponents tonight, he said, "No, no, I'm just honored to be in the same building with them tonight." hahahahhahhaha

It was fun to speculate but really there's only room for two prospects on the roster (Copp and Ehlers or Petan).  Coaches gave the 4th line C to Copp before camp even started...  probably same for Ehlers...

Surprised that Fraser bombed - thought Chevy would pull another one out of his hat... guess not.

Fraser was signed to play for the Moose. I would be surprised to see him play 10 games with the Jets.

I see 5 players(Thomas Raffl, Anthony Peluso, Nic Petan, Nikolaj Ehlers, JC Lipon) trying to grab the spots alongside Copp.

Peluso is a fringe player like Halischuk and if Thorburn still wore the boxing gloves he'd probably never skate on the ice for us.