2015-2016 training camp

Ducky

Peter Tessier

Let’s take a look at the lines as we probably know them.

16-18-26
12-55-42(??)
55-17-6
??-51-22

Who plays on 4th line left wing? Who should play the wings on the 4th line on either side of Andrew Copp?

Raffl brings size and some skill but is not the swiftest skater but has not made himself indispensable to the team, yet.

Petan brings skill, speed and play-making ability not seen since Tlusty was a Jet for a brief period.

Lipon has skill but his real benefit is an agitator, the type of player who gets under the opposition’s skin and the kind the Jets have never really had.

Ehlers has shown that he has the skill, the speed and the hockey prowess but does he have enough experience making the jump from the AHL?

Then there’s Copp, also making the jump but with hardly any of the expectations or profile of Ehlers. Impressive in the pre-season-he was a steady force who played his role.

The Jets can’t keep all five players although that would be a luxury they would love to have. They can however send some down and bring them back as injury allows and for the Jets cap space will not be an issue. But who?

The tricky one is Ehlers as he would have to go back to junior, a place he has no business being as he’s ready for the next step but that might be pro hockey and not the NHL yet. There may be a loophole that his agent is exploring but no one seems to really understand how that would work.

The key to understanding the future players assignments may lie from a comment Paul Maurice made yesterday. In it he described how he wants to see how the remaining guys fit in with the projected roster and that they may be used based on situation, which would be the opposition in that particular game.

If he wants to stir the pot Maurice could dress Lipon. If he expects the opposition to take liberties with his players he may want Peluso or Thorburn in on the other side. If he wants to push his 4th line into the 10 minute mark and take pressure off the top lines putting Petan in would be smart, and if he wants size and skill use Raffl. Those are the options but they cannot be used so efficiently due to roster size limit of 23 players.

The safe bet is to assume Ehlers and Copp are locks but what about the other three? Something tells me that the choice may come down to budget and waiver eligibility something JC Lipon is still waiver exempt and should Raffl make the team he would only be exempt until the end of this season. This does not help make the picture any clearer.

Also remember that in a 20 man roster on the ice there are three players in the press box. The Jets usually carry 2 defence with them so that leaves one spot for a forward. Now assume that Ehlers and Copp are locks to make the team and that leaves….

Raffl
Petan
Lipon
Peluso
Thorburn

4 out of those 5 are not staying and 2 of the 5 have to clear waivers and we still haven’t looked at the defence yet.

Enstrom Byfuglien
Trouba Myers
Stuart Chairot

Pardy
Postma
Harrison

There’s cuts coming and they won’t be easy to make. There may also be a calculated risk when they happen but if I were betting I’d say the organization takes the safest route and assumes players will get their chances when injuries happen.

If and when that happens the discussion will be about who is the right player to call up, and the resulting handwringing after it happens.

Pav looked OK. I'm expecting a lot out of our defence this year. All veterans, all have time in the system now. Say what you want about Byfuglien but the top six is looking real good and I have no problem with Postma/Pardy as the 7/8 guys. Defence is going to have to carry this team at times this year but I think they're up to it. Myers looks really good, I think he is really going to get his career back on track this year. Don't tell anyone I said this but he might end up in the Norris conversation. Yes I think he has that potential.

Was at the game last night.  Wow, that new score clock is bigger than I thought it would be.  There were times it actually seemed clearer watching the screen on the score clock then the play live.   Thankfully, the new loge seating doesn't block the view from my seats.

First two periods weren't that exciting.  Nice to see them come back from behind and win it.

Maurice talked a lot last year about progression and steps where the team has to go.  In the Anaheim playoff series he talked about how they have been in their system for years and can execute it faster and without thinking.  I think I started to see that from the Jets last night.  Most passes were on spot, the players knew where their linemates would be and could move out quickly.  Hoping that progression helps the team into this year as well.

@CJOBSports: #NHLJets reassign G Connor Hellebuyck to #Moose 26 players left. 3 decisions remain to get down to reg season roster of 23

Not a surprise other than he looked like he belonged. He will get his chance. He's going to be our starting goalie sooner or later.

He was tweeting his new Moose equipment yesterday, so this was never really a surprise...

@CJOBSports: #NHLJets reassign G Connor Hellebuyck to #Moose 26 players left. 3 decisions remain to get down to reg season roster of 23

Not a surprise other than he looked like he belonged. He will get his chance. He's going to be our starting goalie sooner or later.

He was tweeting his new Moose equipment yesterday, so this was never really a surprise...

Isn't Pav and Hutch both on their last years of their current contracts?    I'm sure next season the guy will be with the Jets and possibly start the year after.

Isn't Pav and Hutch both on their last years of their current contracts?    I'm sure next season the guy will be with the Jets and possibly start the year after.

Pav has one more year after this.  Hutch will be an RFA next year.

Scheif looks like he could have a break out year.

He looks a lot stronger and steadier on his feet.  He is going to score a lot of goals this season.

If he can routinely hit the net!

Schief is still a guy who makes the bad mental call half the time.

Do I shoot or pass? I'll shoot even though the other guy is open.

Do I shoot or pass? I'll pass even though I've got an open shot.

I'm sure a lot of peeps were still yelling at him before he scored for missing the net on the previous shot.

When Scheif missed the net in OT I was thinking of some witty remark I could post here about him.  Then he comes back 2 on 1 with Ehlers and Im thinking "he will pass and Ehlers will score".  Then he shot and scored.  So on one hand, Ehlers looked more open but on the other at least missing the net 80% of the time hasnt hurt his confidence. lol

Presumably one of our goalies will get hurt this year.  That's Helle's chance to really impress.  Otherwise, if Hutch is poor, I could see Helle coming up and Hutch being scratched.  If everything goes as planned, Hutch ends up unsigned next summer (maybe a deadline deal to a team looking for a back-up but doubtful) and Helle becomes the heir apparent to Pavs next season.

He has a good chance to the starter but it is not written in stone. Everyone thinks it is a foregone conclusion that he will be a star and start in goal but there has been many goalies that came more highly touted than Helle that haven't lived up to expectation. Montoya comes to mind. 6th overall pick and how many teams was he the starter for?