2015-2016 training camp

Ducky

Thoughts on the game? I was somewhat multi tasking but what I saw:

- the new top nine might work out. I thought both top lines generated chances and controlled play

- noticed Lemieux and Armia more than Copp. I think both played well. I was somewhat surprise by how calm Armia seemed and had a few flashes of talent.

- ehlers has speed to burn. He has a great shot too and shot plenty but it's weird I come away thinking he could shoot more. That whole line is really really skilled though and gritty enough even with a lack of size to be successful. Three guys with zero experience plying together. A little time and chemistry and they could be deadly.

- Scheif looks very good.

- Pavs was great. Helle was great. Certainly Helle looked the part of an NHL goalie but his time and work load was limited.

- 3on3 is ridiculous and when games count is going to give me a heart attack. It's very exciting and very entertaining but it's not pro hockey. I don't like it. But I reserve the right to grow to love it.

- new scoreboard and other improvements look great. The new ribbon board and LED signs really stand out on TV.

Thoughts on the game? I was somewhat multi tasking but what I saw:

- the new top nine might work out. I thought both top lines generated chances and controlled play

- noticed Lemieux and Armia more than Copp. I think both played well. I was somewhat surprise by how calm Armia seemed and had a few flashes of talent.

- ehlers has speed to burn. He has a great shot too and shot plenty but it's weird I come away thinking he could shoot more. That whole line is really really skilled though and gritty enough even with a lack of size to be successful. Three guys with zero experience plying together. A little time and chemistry and they could be deadly.

- Scheif looks very good.

- Pavs was great. Helle was great. Certainly Helle looked the part of an NHL goalie but his time and work load was limited.

- 3on3 is ridiculous and when games count is going to give me a heart attack. It's very exciting and very entertaining but it's not pro hockey. I don't like it. But I reserve the right to grow to love it.

- new scoreboard and other improvements look great. The new ribbon board and LED signs really stand out on TV.

The 3on3 had me sitting on the edge of my seat, and that is saying something for a pre-season game.   Put me in the fan column.

Interesting rule quirk they highlighted tonight.  If you pull your goalie for an extra skater and lose during the 3on3, you forfeit your single point from the regulation tie (unless there is a delayed penalty).

Guess they were worried about a team dominating possession by doing this.

Thoughts from me

Scheif Ehlers Petan Lemieux all looked pretty good. Give Petan line mates other than 2 scrubs and this game ends in regulation. Not sure I liked the Perreault Burmi Ehlers line.... lots of skill but maybe too fancy. Ehlers looked legit tho.

Pav was solid but his positioning is still a problem. Helle was solid. Like lundquist really.. big and positionaly strong.

3 on 3 was crazy. I'd have put petan and ehlers out there together just once.

Not surprised stafford was on the ice for the goal.

Really annoys me that a guy like thorburn is gonna take a spot away from one or 2 of petan armia and Lemieux. Raffl looked ok but basically it was cuz petan made him look good. 29 is pretty old.

Raffl was ok. He's a big body certainly. It's still early but I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered a spot with the Moose.

I go back to Ehlers, Burmi, Perreault never played together before. One of those guys is a rookie. Another just came back after two years. To me the sky's the limit and if they showed this skill and puck possession in game one imagine how they will be by game two.

If anyone is to blame for the goal, what about Toby using his stick to check in front if his goal. If he steps into him, chances are they don't score. Enstrom played a good game though. I can't say anything bad about anyone, except 63 on the Wild.

Ehlers will make the team. I don't think MP-AB-NE will be a line to be honest.

L-L-Staf

P-S-W

B-L-E

Thorbs-C-A

I was watching Copp, especially in his own zone without the puck, he is never out of position. I think Copp will make the team, too. The Lemieux, Copp, Armia line didn't look out of place at all. Kichton looked good in the little bit I saw him as did Morrissey. Both goalies were good. Trouba had a couple brain farts but was good otherwise. Thorbs even looked good out there!!!!!!!!!!

HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Short snappers from mostly watching game...

-Lemieux not that evident to me.

-Kichton I did not think had a good game.

-Scheif took some bad shots.

-Funny how Helle pretty much had same 2 shots and looked great on one and weak on the other.

-Johnny Denmark looked good.

-Wheeler was barely noticeable but I think he'll make the team.

-Pav still going down.

-3 on 3 is great IF you have talent otherwise disasterville. Makes me hate OT even more so.

-Have to wait another day to see what the scoreboard does.

-Metal detectors suck. Okay I was not there but i bet they suck.

-Dennis Beyak had to jinx it.

-Wait, did Petan play?

Wheeler was barely noticeable?  He and Scheif were buzzing everytime they were on the ice, I thought.

I heard there is an attempt to get #LogeGate trending as some people complained about the obstructed views.  Although the one comparison pic I saw didnt indicate much of a difference between this year and last.  But Darren Ford, King of the Jets was trying to get it going on twitter.

I heard there is an attempt to get #LogeGate trending as some people complained about the obstructed views.  Although the one comparison pic I saw didnt indicate much of a difference between this year and last.  But Darren Ford, King of the Jets was trying to get it going on twitter.

Bunch of callers late in the 1290 morning show.

https://twitter.com/KeithPlace10/status/646697973007577089/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Yeah I guess there;s a slight obstruction for the stairs going down and that one guys head.  Otherwise its similar to how it was before.  Im not sure I'd be too bothered.  Im sure everyone will whine about it a few weeks and then forget about it.  Just found it funny how Darren was taking the "everyone is telling me this..." thing.  He's a great follow on twitter if you pretend its a parody account.

Reading some more about the obstructed views it seems more that they used more poles than needed.  Perhaps they can clean that up a bit.  Worse case scenario, those first three rows or so get discounted as "obstructed view".

After one game, lets predict the roster (I'd say opening night roster but that could see guys on 9 game trials and Im trying to predict the roster for the bulk of the season):

Ladd-Lowry-Little

Stafford-Scheif-Wheeler

Perreault-Burmi-Ehlers

Thorburn-Copp-Armia

***Lemieux gets 9 games or so

Enstrom-Myers

Stuart-Trouba

Chiarot-Buff

Petan, Morrissey, Raffl, Halischuk, Pardy, Postma on the Moose.  Postma could be trade bait.  Im biased because I've been saying that for two years.  But with 9 D, something has to give.  I assume they want insurance in case of a Buff trade but they could always get a D back and I tend to think if you're top 4 are Enstrom, Myers, Trouba and Stuart/Chiarot you can find a bottom 2 pretty easily.

Interesting to see who the #7 dman is. Harrison, Pardy, Postma should not be in AHL.

Raffl is 29, do we want that youngster on the Moose?

yeah thats a good point.  I liked his size and experience and thought he might be one of those "veteran" presents type guys on the Moose.  But if the idea of Moose are strictly developing future Jets, then no.

I don't think you want the Moose to be strictly development players.  You have veterans on the AHL team to teach the younger players how to be a professional day in and day out, to set the example.  A team with purely development players would not be good at all.

I don't know enough of Raffl's history and background to know if he is one of those vets you want setting the example, but you definitely need vets on the Moose.