2015-2016 training camp

Ducky

Lawless just said Raffl didn't understand when he said he'd sign a two way deal and his European club will not let him out of his contract to play in the AHL. And i assume the jets won't send him to the moose on a one way deal

So that probably eliminates Raffl. He probably would have made the team last year. But Petan and Lipon give the team more flexibility.

I'm now converted. Petan will make the team. My concern was it would stint his development to play 7 minutes on the 4th line. But I think Maurice will use on the PP and those times when he line juggles. He will find Petan more minutes.

Lawless just said Raffl didn't understand when he said he'd sign a two way deal and his European club will not let him out of his contract to play in the AHL. And i assume the jets won't send him to the moose on a one way deal

So that probably eliminates Raffl. He probably would have made the team last year. But Petan and Lipon give the team more flexibility.

I'm now converted. Petan will make the team. My concern was it would stint his development to play 7 minutes on the 4th line. But I think Maurice will use on the PP and those times when he line juggles. He will find Petan more minutes.

What does this mean?   He is still under contract with his European contract even on a PTO with the Jets?

He needs to sign a one way deal to get out of his European contract?

What does this mean?   He is still under contract with his European contract even on a PTO with the Jets?

He needs to sign a one way deal to get out of his European contract?

That's what I read.

Rather have Stempniak on a one way, but really if we are going to keep Petan and Ehlers which i think we should, than there is no need for him on a 1 way contract. 

Yeah, at the moment he's still in NJ's camp. For that matter, so is Tlusty.

The one thing that bothers me is that everyone says Peluso is the 13th man for those nights we need him. Remember when that was Thorburn's job? Pretty sure that Wheeler fought more then Thorbs last year.

Rather have Stempniak on a one way, but really if we are going to keep Petan and Ehlers which i think we should, than there is no need for him on a 1 way contract. 

Yeah, at the moment he's still in NJ's camp. For that matter, so is Tlusty.

The one thing that bothers me is that everyone says Peluso is the 13th man for those nights we need him. Remember when that was Thorburn's job? Pretty sure that Wheeler fought more then Thorbs last year.

This could be the year that we don't need a dedicated enforcer, there is a lot a team toughness with many guys that can drop the gloves if need be. Plus when was the last time Detroit or Chicago had a dedicated enforcer sure hasn't stopped Chicago from winning Stanley Cups.

The way I understood it Raffl can leave for a pro deal in the NHL

Lawless didn't say it with certainty. He said he didn't think he'd be released to play in the AHL but then went on to say if the jets told Raffl he's play in the A for a month and get called up he's probably do it. So who knows. Lawless did say he spoke to the agent.

I'd assume the European club will release him for an NHL deal but a two way, they'd have to be consulted. I like him. Would be good if we can keep him.

I can't see him making the team over Petan or Copp or Olsen.

He will be offered a 2 way contract and spend the season with the Moose.

Olsen was among the first 16 to be sent to the Moose.  Raffl has already out lasted him in camp.

Was at the game last night.  Wow, that new score clock is bigger than I thought it would be.  There were times it actually seemed clearer watching the screen on the score clock then the play live.   Thankfully, the new loge seating doesn't block the view from my seats.

First two periods weren't that exciting.  Nice to see them come back from behind and win it.

Maurice talked a lot last year about progression and steps where the team has to go.  In the Anaheim playoff series he talked about how they have been in their system for years and can execute it faster and without thinking.  I think I started to see that from the Jets last night.  Most passes were on spot, the players knew where their linemates would be and could move out quickly.  Hoping that progression helps the team into this year as well.

That's a great word and I'm wondering what the overall team expectations are realistically with the Jets this coming season when it comes to progression.

I'm a huge Maurice fan, always have been, I think he's a really good fit with this team. I hope the players reward him with every game this season is a playoff game. I like that mentality better than a team lead by Sutter who suggests just do enough to get into the playoffs (which they didn't do enough last year as it turned out) and then turn it up. I understand why and the benefits you can get from it but I don't like it, never have never will.  

Was at the game last night.  Wow, that new score clock is bigger than I thought it would be.  There were times it actually seemed clearer watching the screen on the score clock then the play live.   Thankfully, the new loge seating doesn't block the view from my seats.

First two periods weren't that exciting.  Nice to see them come back from behind and win it.

Maurice talked a lot last year about progression and steps where the team has to go.  In the Anaheim playoff series he talked about how they have been in their system for years and can execute it faster and without thinking.  I think I started to see that from the Jets last night.  Most passes were on spot, the players knew where their linemates would be and could move out quickly.  Hoping that progression helps the team into this year as well.

That's a great word and I'm wondering what the overall team expectations are realistically with the Jets this coming season when it comes to progression.

I'm a huge Maurice fan, always have been, I think he's a really good fit with this team. I hope the players reward him with every game this season is a playoff game. I like that mentality better than a team lead by Sutter who suggests just do enough to get into the playoffs (which they didn't do enough last year as it turned out) and then turn it up. I understand why and the benefits you can get from it but I don't like it, never have never will.  

The expectation has to be the playoffs.  

Will they consider it an absolute failure if they don't make the playoffs?   Tough to say with the rookies that will be in the lineup this year and the division we are in.  I think it really depends on how the team plays and progress the young players make.

Scheifele and Trouba need to step up this year and start to be difference makers.  Both will be in their 3rd year. Lowry needs to continue his progression.  Copp and Ehlers need to show they belong and earn the trust of the coach.

I think the goaltending situation over the next 2 years is going to be very interesting.   Time for someone to take the job from Pavelec.

After one game, lets predict the roster (I'd say opening night roster but that could see guys on 9 game trials and Im trying to predict the roster for the bulk of the season):

Ladd-Lowry-Little

Stafford-Scheif-Wheeler

Perreault-Burmi-Ehlers

Thorburn-Copp-Armia

***Lemieux gets 9 games or so

Enstrom-Myers

Stuart-Trouba

Chiarot-Buff

Petan, Morrissey, Raffl, Halischuk, Pardy, Postma on the Moose.  Postma could be trade bait.  Im biased because I've been saying that for two years.  But with 9 D, something has to give.  I assume they want insurance in case of a Buff trade but they could always get a D back and I tend to think if you're top 4 are Enstrom, Myers, Trouba and Stuart/Chiarot you can find a bottom 2 pretty easily.

I'm hoping for a big year from Chiarot. Hope he has the fitness and genetics to play 82 games.  

The expectation has to be the playoffs.  

Will they consider it an absolute failure if they don't make the playoffs?   Tough to say with the rookies that will be in the lineup this year and the division we are in.  I think it really depends on how the team plays and progress the young players make.

Scheifele and Trouba need to step up this year and start to be difference makers.  Both will be in their 3rd year. Lowry needs to continue his progression.  Copp and Ehlers need to show they belong and earn the trust of the coach.

I think the goaltending situation over the next 2 years is going to be very interesting.   Time for someone to take the job from Pavelec.

Hammer, meet nail.

After one game, lets predict the roster (I'd say opening night roster but that could see guys on 9 game trials and Im trying to predict the roster for the bulk of the season):

I'm hoping for a big year from Chiarot. Hope he has the fitness and genetics to play 82 games.  

And the mentality to not punch a helmet.

Shawn Churchill @ShawnChurchill

Nic Petan moves up to the top line to play wing with Andrew Ladd and Bryan Little

Versatility is key with Petan. Could be argued that our 4th line was our best line last game and part of that was becaue of Petans play.. Guy is a wizard with the puck, seems to win every puck battle, proving his size is irrelevant, it's about positioning. He's also able to play on the power play, he can move up and down the line up, he's going to be a very good player. I like him with Ladd and Little, Ladd and Little are very smart players, Petan just adds to that. The hockey sense on that line now is off the charts. Burmi didn't look that good with Ladd and Little so hopefully Petan does.

Top 6

Ladd,Little,Petan

Perreault,Scheif,Wheeler 

in a perfect world really. 

Might be tempted to try

Ehlers,Scheif,Wheeler too.