Bombers Add INT Kicker to PR

TrueBlue

WINNIPEG, MB., August 28, 2015 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has added international kicker Sergio Castillo to the practice roster.

Castillo (5’11, 195, West Texas A&M, November 1, 1990) played four seasons with the Buffaloes where he connected on 78% of his field goal attempts. As a senior in 2013, he went 24-30 on field goals. That year, he was the winner of the Fred Mitchell Award, given to the nation’s top kicker. His 38 field goals in 2012 marked a school record for field goals made in one season. His 62 career field goals are both a school and Lone Star Conference record. 

Using an import makes a lot of sense with 4 DI's if the NI can't do the job.  Hajrullahu's punting needs to get much more consistent directionally and in terms of how long it takes him to get the ball out.

Sean Whyte is a terrible punter and he's not going to beat out Hajrullahu as place kicker ever, probably a worse punter than Hajrullahu is now too.  Hajrullahu is young and getting better at punting no doubt, just comes to a point where it's costing the team games and patience runs thin.

Aren't there some National kickers available with CFL experience we could have brought in?

Sean Whyte.

I don't get this move... I don't think it's good when an International is used as a kicker.

Seems to be easier to pull off with 4 designated imports. I'm sure teams are pleased with Swayze Waters, Boris Bede and Richie Leone. The kicking game is so important, would you rather use a 4th DI on a kicker or a backup WR that sees 10 snaps per game? Hmmm...

There's a extremely good Canadian kicker on the Stamps PR named Tyler Crapigna who is the all time CIS leading scorer. The guy can kick & punt extremely well. He isn't playing because of Huff's loyalty to Rene Paredes. In the pre season I believe he actually out kicked Paredes. Hard to believe no team has snatched him up.

There's a extremely good Canadian kicker on the Stamps PR named Tyler Crapigna who is the all time CIS leading scorer. The guy can kick & punt extremely well. He isn't playing because of Huff's loyalty to Rene Paredes. In the pre season I believe he actually out kicked Paredes. Hard to believe no team has snatched him up.

You sure love the Stamps, eh?

There's a extremely good Canadian kicker on the Stamps PR named Tyler Crapigna who is the all time CIS leading scorer. The guy can kick & punt extremely well. He isn't playing because of Huff's loyalty to Rene Paredes. In the pre season I believe he actually out kicked Paredes. Hard to believe no team has snatched him up.

You sure love the Stamps, eh?

I live in Calgary so I know what is going on here, okay? Wow.

There's a extremely good Canadian kicker on the Stamps PR named Tyler Crapigna who is the all time CIS leading scorer. The guy can kick & punt extremely well. He isn't playing because of Huff's loyalty to Rene Paredes. In the pre season I believe he actually out kicked Paredes. Hard to believe no team has snatched him up.

His last name would open him up to all sorts of ridicule here.  We already have Willy for that.  No deal.

His last name would open him up to all sorts of ridicule here.  We already have Willy for that.  No deal.

I know, his name is funny but big leg & accurate as well. Someone will sign him... 

Is this because the current kicker hasn't signed a new contract?

Paredes is under contract but I don't  know when it expires. He was solid his first 2 seasons & inconsistent the past 1 1/2 seasons. Crapigna is very good & would be a starting kicker elsewhere. I can't see him coming back next season if the Stamps put him on the PR again.