Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

On second thought I believe that may actually be a full page advert. paid for by the Conservatives.  Either way, not good.

Of course it was a full page advertisement.  But why let that get in the way of self-righteous anger and a good blather about media impartiality.  I saw a Harper ad during Hockey Night in Canada, so that must mean that the CBC is supporting Harper.  :)

The only anger on this forum is usually venting from the top of your head.  The difference with media impartiality is that many of these news outlets have directly declared their support for Harper, so really they're not impartial at all.

On second thought I believe that may actually be a full page advert. paid for by the Conservatives.  Either way, not good.

Of course it was a full page advertisement.  But why let that get in the way of self-righteous anger and a good blather about media impartiality.  I saw a Harper ad during Hockey Night in Canada, so that must mean that the CBC is supporting Harper.  :)

The only anger on this forum is usually venting from the top of your head.  The difference with media impartiality is that many of these news outlets have directly declared their support for Harper, so really they're not impartial at all.

Who did the Free Press endorse?

According to Wikipedia:

Endorsing the Conservative Party     Postmedia

Postmedia Network, which owns the majority of the newspaper industry in Canada, ordered their individual assets to endorse the Conservatives, as traditionally is the owner's prerogative.[1][2][3]Andrew Coyne resigned as editor of editorials and comment for the National Post after being denied permission by Postmedia executives to publish a column dissenting from the paper's endorsement of the Conservatives.[4][5]

Woodbridge Sochaczevski

Endorsing the Liberal Party     Torstar TC Transcontinental Northwest Gesca Laurentian

The only anger on this forum is usually venting from the top of your head. 

Nice.  What a dumb thing to say. I can't wait for this **** to be over.  Hard not to hold grudges after this with all of the stupid things we've said about each other, all because of stupid politics.

The only anger on this forum is usually venting from the top of your head. 

Nice.  What a dumb thing to say. I can't wait for this **** to be over.  Hard not to hold grudges after this with all of the stupid things we've said about each other, all because of stupid politics.

I dont disagree.  But when people fly off the handle and attack the messenger, it says more about them.  Thats how I dont let attacks or insults on me bother me.  Its just people getting annoyed and spouting off.  Imagine being the Mods and having to monitor this thread and the amount of posts that have been deleted and posters who have whined to them.

I dont disagree.  But when people fly off the handle and attack the messenger, it says more about them.  Thats how I dont let attacks or insults on me bother me.  Its just people getting annoyed and spouting off.  Imagine being the Mods and having to monitor this thread and the amount of posts that have been deleted and posters who have whined to them.

Your comment about "shy Tories" and how they affected the polls in England really made me think of all of the people that have told me this election "I'm voting Conservative, but don't tell anyone", including this morning.  It makes me wonder how many people are in that same boat.  I look at all of the personal attacks made on the two of us here, and it really is a reflection of why people are downright afraid to speak up anymore unless they say they are voting Liberal or New Dumb.  It's not worth the aggravation and the insults.  Just quietly vote Conservative, and move on, without having to be yelled at by imbeciles.

Your comment about "shy Tories" and how they affected the polls in England really made me think of all of the people that have told me this election "I'm voting Conservative, but don't tell anyone", including this morning.  It makes me wonder how many people are in that same boat.  I look at all of the personal attacks made on the two of us here, and it really is a reflection of why people are downright afraid to speak up anymore unless they say they are voting Liberal or New Dumb.  It's not worth the aggravation and the insults.  Just quietly vote Conservative, and move on, without having to be yelled at by imbeciles.

Are you really quietly moving on though?  You have so many posts like this, where you insult people with differing opinions, yet you are surprised and upset and you get attacked in return.   You could have made the exact same post without the insults and it would have carried a lot more weight.

Funny you say that.  I walked into work this morning and another guy came in and said "are you all going to vote"?  So a few of us said yes.  He asked "Who are you voting for".  I hesitated...but said well, Im voting Conservative.  There was silence.  I said "I hesitate to say that because it seems you're not allowed to be a Conservative right now" and he said I agree and Im voting Conservative too.  And everyone else was awkward silence.

I definitely agree that there is a lot of backlash to being a Conservative.  On Facebook, there are a lot of people who post links to anti Harper stuff, some of it absolute nonsense and then the comments are just a gathering place for like minded people to pat each other on the back for being so smart.  One person I know remarked that Harper had destroyed Canada with deficits and I, against better judgement, replied "if you feel that way why are you telling people to vote for the Liberals when they have promised multiple years of deficit" and the response was basically "No one made you comment here, dont come into my facebook and tell me Im wrong."  I said "where did I say you were wrong". and that was that.  She then posted a new comment complaining about people that comment on her threads to disagree with her and she can delete any comment she wants.

Why post remarks publicly if that's your attitude?

Another friend posted about voting Conservative and his replies were laced with "Screw Harper" rhetoric.  He chose not to engage, just reiterated his choice.

Im biased, as we all are for our favoured choice.  But I do think there is a lot of uneducated anti-Harper rhetoric which is not surprising, especially among young people, many of whom might not take the time to dig deeper into the issues.  Which is not to say they arent entitled to their opinion.  But almost every person I've spoken to or seen remarks from who are Conservative have a "this is my choice, you're entitled to yours" position whereas the Anti-Harper crowd seem offended that anyone could be so stupid not to see it their way.  And I think this comes more from those that are Anti Harper moreso than being Pro Trudeau or Pro Mulcair.

There was a lot of people who were saying "Harper sucks, vote NDP" when the NDP were doing well.  Now they pretend they were always Liberal.  I wonder how many people change their vote depending on momentum.  Vote for the winning horse mentality. 

Although, to be fair, I remember way back, cant even remember what federal election it was, but I argued with my parents who were voting NDP saying it was a wasted vote and to vote for *whomever* it was that was the main opposition to whatever the other party was.  I cant remember if it was wanting them to vote liberal to oust the Conservatives or vote Canadian Alliance to try and oust the Liberals.  But I was incredulous that they;d waste their vote.

My gf is voting Green and it just blows my mind.

Although, to be fair, I remember way back, cant even remember what federal election it was, but I argued with my parents who were voting NDP saying it was a wasted vote and to vote for *whomever* it was that was the main opposition to whatever the other party was.  I cant remember if it was wanting them to vote liberal to oust the Conservatives or vote Canadian Alliance to try and oust the Liberals.  But I was incredulous that they;d waste their vote.

The only wasted vote is the one that isn't made.  Even a spoiled ballot is better then not exercising your right to vote.

Are you really quietly moving on though?  You have so many posts like this, where you insult people with differing opinions, yet you are surprised and upset and you get attacked in return.   You could have made the exact same post without the insults and it would have carried a lot more weight.

Yes I am quietly moving on though.  And if I insulted anyone with differing opinions, I roundly apologize. If anyone here who posted blatant lies feels insulted because I called them a liar, I say too bad - you need to accept the consequences if you want to post lies.  As for the being yelled at by imbeciles, I wasn't referring to anyone here (though I see now that it could be taken that way).  I was referring to other boards and Facebook pages I've been on, where the negativity and the anti-Harper stuff is just off the charts.  Sorry if I offended you Bigg Jay.

Yes I am quietly moving on though.  And if I insulted anyone with differing opinions, I roundly apologize. If anyone here who posted blatant lies feels insulted because I called them a liar, I say too bad - you need to accept the consequences if you want to post lies.  As for the being yelled at by imbeciles, I wasn't referring to anyone here (though I see now that it could be taken that way).  I was referring to other boards and Facebook pages I've been on, where the negativity and the anti-Harper stuff is just off the charts.  Sorry if I offended you Bigg Jay.

I totally picture my grandpa on my dad's side when I read some of your posts. I remember him being completely blown away that anybody could be so stupid as to not agree with his opinions.

haha this is like when you tell a significant othe that "I'm sorry you feel that way"

should have saved the keystrokes.

haha this is like when you tell a significant othe that "I'm sorry you feel that way"

should have saved the keystrokes.

Glad I didn't, as I was actually talking to Bigg Jay.  Bigg Jay - did I waste my keystrokes?  I hope not.  I will say this, you and Sweep sure are much smarter than me, that much I've learned from this election.  You guys know everything, no doubt about that.

I totally picture my grandpa on my dad's side when I read some of your posts. I remember him being completely blown away that anybody could be so stupid as to not agree with his opinions.

Was he also flabbergasted when people told bald-faced lies in front of him, and almost no one disagreed with it, or attacked the guy that pointed out the lies?  Just curious if indeed, this comparison is relevant.

The only wasted vote is the one that isn't made.  Even a spoiled ballot is better then not exercising your right to vote.

Yeah I really don't like this idea some people get that we have to vote against a party and if you're not voting for the candidate with the best chance of beating someone you're wasting your vote. Voting for what you personally believe in is never wasting your vote. In our country we vote for candidates and it's doing yourself a disservice to not vote for what you believe in. 

But isn't that a huge issue this election? How many people are simply Anti Harper? I think ibe seen way more "get harper out" sentiment than I've seen any reason to vote for

The other two parties.

I did ask that on one persons facebook actually. "You haven't given me one reason to vote liberal or NDP" and they kept linking anti Harper stories.

I did ask that on one persons facebook actually. "You haven't given me one reason to vote liberal or NDP" and they kept linking anti Harper stories.

The NDP here in BC tried the same campaign in 2013.  Every time you asked the NDP why I should vote for them, I'd get something like "CHRISTY CLARK SUCKS!!" or something similar.  I'd say, ok, no argument here, but other than that, why should I vote NDP?  And I'd just get this confused look, like they hadn't really thought that far ahead.  When you don't give people reason to vote for the devil they don't know, they chose the one they do know.