The Daily Early Game Day Thread - WPG @ CAL

A new Canadian RT? Never heard of him, is he supposed to be any good?

Spencer Wilson... he's been playing guard for 3 or 4 years in Calgary... reading up on him it sounds like he played some tackle in junior... damn Stamps, just seem to have so much depth everywhere!

No excuses for our front 7 on D. in this one.......if they can't get steady pressure and penatration against this particular Stamps O lineup.......when the hell might we every expect it?   Need to exploit this situation and just get after Calgary, physically.....

Any strong offensive line needs chemistry and time to gel as a unit instead of just 5 guys trying to block.  It will be interesting to see how far they've come after just 3 days of practice.

Hence the expression - great lines think alike.

First and foremost, I hope that they don't allow Cornish to get on a roll.  If the Stamps get him going early it's going to be a long day in Calgary.  I'm hoping that either one of Harlan or Collins can be that anchor on the defensive line, a guy that commands double teams and allows our inside backer to flow freely (I don't find Hurl gets off / defends blocks particularly well and he's not a guy who can afford to lose a step).   I won't be surprised if you see Hall testing that offensive line early .. 

With respect to our offense .. I'm hoping the interior three play a better game .. especially Greaves (95 from MTL put him on his back more than once last game).

Just in case anyone's wondering, it's been cold and rainy in southern Alberta this week, but supposed to be Sunny +25 by game time tomorrow. Should be decent conditions for anyone attending....

Knowing Calgary weather as I do, just because it's 25C at the start of the game doesn't mean you won't need to have your parka at the ready by the end of the 3rd quarter...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/stampeders-bombers-vie-for-west-supremacy/

JUSTIN DUNK
JULY 17, 2015, 3:47 PM

Each week on the Canadian Football League schedule there is a matchup that stands out above the rest—a three-down showdown game, if you will. So we’ll take a look at the main storylines heading into the CFL’s marque matchup and individuals, groups, coaches, schemes or anything else that could affect the outcome.

Four teams across the CFL entered Week 4 at 2-1, two in each division. And both teams in the West with that record square off in Calgary on Saturday night. The winner will stand alone atop the West Division.

The Stampeders have dominated the Bombers at McMahon Stadium since 2002, claiming 11 of the last 12 meetings on home turf. Calgary tries to keep that trend going while Winnipeg focuses on starting a winning streak in Cowtown. There are a number of men that could be difference-makers in Week 4’s showcase game and it’s time to find out who they could be.

Stamps lose more horses up front

Calgary lost starting left tackle Edwin Harrison for the season and right tackle Dan Federkeil for a while if not the rest of the campaign in Week 3. It appears Garry Williams, a first-year CFLer, will get the chance to replace Harrison—he played in 41 games and made 21 starts for the Carolina Panthers from 2009 to 2014. And it looks like Spencer Wilson should kick out from guard to tackle on the right side with Brad Erdos sliding into the right guard spot. Erdos has never started a CFL game.

It’s a reworked first-unit offensive line for Calgary that, if you count the off-season departures of Stanley Bryant and Brett Jones, has lost four starting-calibre big men since winning the 2014 Grey Cup. The Stamps’ player-personnel department, led by John Hufnagel and John Murphy, always seem to find capable players to fill in the holes and produce. But you have to wonder if a group that’s given up a league-high-tying nine sacks and consistently failed to open decent holes for Jon Cornish to begin the year can withstand losing so many key pieces. Winnipeg will provide the first test.

Mano a mano

Speaking of offensive linemen, two-time CFL All-Star Stanley Bryant faces the team he spent the first five seasons of his CFL career with for the first time on Saturday. Big No. 66 signed a free-agent deal with Winnipeg after winning the Grey Cup with Calgary last November.

Bryant will line up across from old teammate Charleston Hughes for the first time in live game action. Calgary’s two-time CFL All-Star pass rusher, nicknamed “Stamp Machine,” will be looking to leave his mark on Drew Willy. The CFL veterans should know each other’s strengths and weaknesses very well, so it should be a must-watch matchup on each Bombers offensive snap.

Speedy Stoudermire returns

Troy Stoudermire looks set to make his 2015 season debut after recovering from a broken right hand that he suffered back in training camp.

Winnipeg’s dynamic return man, who averaged more yards per punt return than Brandon Banks in 2014 (12.5 to 10.3), should provide a special teams boost for the Bombers. Stoudermire played in only seven games last season, but still racked up 1,192 return yards to finish third league-wide.

He should be able to give Drew Willy and co. favourable field position and help Winnipeg’s offence get into the end zone—something they failed to do in their Week 3 win over Montreal. Stoudermire might even get some game reps on offence as he ran routes with the first team during practice this week, working in at the Z wideout receiver spot.

Leaky Blue Bombers secondary

Bo Levi Mitchell and his receivers are likely revved up from watching film of the Bombers defence. Winnipeg has given up a league-worst 332.3 passing yards per game.

Alouettes slotback S.J. Green set a career-high against the Bombers with 180 yards receiving on just six catches a week ago, abusing man-to-man coverage. So look for Stampeders slot receiver Eric Rogers, coming off a six-catch, 114-yard performance, to put up major numbers.

Bo-Levi does not look like the dominant QB he has been last year, but last game when Calgary's starting tackles went down, the Calgary offense hardly missed a beat. Even if Mitchell goes down, there is Tate warming up. Disgustingly well coached and enviable depth almost everywhere.

Bo Levi looked a lot better in the Toronto game, after crapping the bed against Montreal. So we'll have to see which BLM shows up this game. It's a short week, new O-line...coming off a big win...but then I remember, this is Calgary, aka Death Valley...

had as much time as he wanted to pass against us. we failed to pressure him in any way.

Bo Levi looked a lot better in the Toronto game, after crapping the bed against Montreal. So we'll have to see which BLM shows up this game. It's a short week, new O-line...coming off a big win...but then I remember, this is Calgary, aka Death Valley...

had as much time as he wanted to pass against us. we failed to pressure him in any way.

Shoulda texted him that his girlfriend was pregnant. With triplets.

I don't think it will be a beat down, and really we do have a golden opportunity here even if it's on the road.

I'm expecting a close game, and, like a few others have posted, it might be nice if Mr. Hall blitzes repeatedly to start the game. Lets set the tone early and push them around!!

a friend has 1 year old triplets. all girls.

there's pressuring someone... and then there's just inhumane cruelty.

a friend has 1 year old triplets. all girls.

there's pressuring someone... and then there's just inhumane cruelty.

just wait til they're 16

After watching Messam last night, I am still wondering why Walters did not grab him when Messam became available. He would have been a helluva complement to Cotton, and with the right passport,too.

I must admit, I was not pro-Messam at that particular time, but it looks to me like he has put in the necessary effort to get to where he is now...a really good back. Congratulations to him and those working with him.

After watching Messam last night, I am still wondering why Walters did not grab him when Messam became available. He would have been a helluva complement to Cotton, and with the right passport,too.

Well yah, but you must know established Canadian RB's are a dime a dozen.  I believe the ludicrous justification around here was that Messam didn't play S.T. and at the time the Bombers were being well served by Carl Volny.

Well yah, but you must know established Canadian RB's are a dime a dozen.  I believe the ludicrous justification around here was that Messam didn't play S.T. and at the time the Bombers were being well served by Carl Volny.

I don't believe Messam has the character that O'Shea requires or the budget that Walters requires.  He seems to be all about Jerome (stats, money, playing time).  Plus. he's not an every down back.