Counter Blitz

BigBlue

Oshea also suggested that some of the players on offense still have problems making pre-snap reads and identifying the blitz before it happens. I believe that mostly falls on Willy and Picard.

Also the rec. There were a few plays, one were Willy got pissed at JFG cause he didn't react in time to a pass....may have been the interception actually. Rec need to know when to run an option route and when to look for a ball. The greatest ever was very good at that!

This means that it's not all Bellefeuille's fault. Players are being taught what to do and how to recognize blitz's but they're still having trouble recognizing and adjusting pre-snap.

Oshea also suggested that some of the players on offense still have problems making pre-snap reads and identifying the blitz before it happens. I believe that mostly falls on Willy and Picard.

Also the rec. There were a few plays, one were Willy got pissed at JFG cause he didn't react in time to a pass....may have been the interception actually. Rec need to know when to run an option route and when to look for a ball. The greatest ever was very good at that!

This means that it's not all Bellefeuille's fault. Players are being taught what to do and how to recognize blitz's but they're still having trouble recognizing and adjusting pre-snap.

Absolutely. As much as I rag on MB, and honestly don't think he'll improve. The players didn't help anything last week.

People around here want it to be one thing or another, but it's not.  QB's get hit a lot in MB offenses.  Even Calvillo and he was the best at pre-reading defences in the CFL.  It looked like JFG didn't pick up that there was a blitz, therefore he didn't change his route and Willy threw it to a spot on his Int.  MB needs to add screens, draws and quick hitters to the offence and the players need to pick up on the blitz properly to fix the problem.

People around here want it to be one thing or another, but it's not. QB's get hit a lot in MB offenses. Even Calvillo and he was the best at pre-reading defences in the CFL. It looked like JFG didn't pick up that there was a blitz, therefore he didn't change his route and Willy threw it to a spot on his Int. MB needs to add screens, draws and quick hitters to the offence and the players need to pick up on the blitz properly to fix the problem.

Also if the players don't know this stuff then the coaches need to be doing a better job of teaching them. Whether that's MB, Buck, Howell or all of them, they have to coach the players up better.

Does anyone except me wonder why the heck the coaches didn't call a time out when the Hamilton blitzes were coming on every other play and fix whatever wasn't happening properly? Heck, that should have been done when the Bomber offence wasn't on the field (which was a lot).

Bottom line....opposing team amped up pass pressure....and our offense simply fell apart - just as it did many times last year.  MB has been around in this league for a while - and there are plays that can make the other team pay, on this big ole CFL field.

Enough excuses, already....

Agreed on all counts.  Ability to teach his offence how to adapt and beat the blitz will be either how Bellefeuille's coaching profile rises again, or how it unravels permanently in the CFL. 

If there are outlets for the QB on every play... MB's gotta prep the offence during the week to hit these outlets and hot routes.  There is no reason why Cotton and Marshall can't torch a blitzing defence with an effective screen-game.

Honestly too much being made of the Hamilton blitzes in my mind... They still managed 25 points and yes a lot of that was after the game was already academic, but that to me says they still managed to score and make plays against it, the real problem was the D couldn't get a stop at all. I want to know why the Bomber blitzes were ineffective. 

Yeah .. it was definitely after the interception.   JFG wasn't even remotely aware the ball was coming his way and Willy was none too happy about it.    There were was at least one / two more instances after Brohm came in where the blitz was on and JFG didn't appear to make that read and adjust his route accordingly .. not everyone was on the same page that game.

Yeah .. it was definitely after the interception.   JFG wasn't even remotely aware the ball was coming his way and Willy was none too happy about it.    There were was at least one / two more instances after Brohm came in where the blitz was on and JFG didn't appear to make that read and adjust his route accordingly .. not everyone was on the same page that game.

I would say that when facing a team you know will send a blitzs on a regular basis you should always have a blitz/quick option designated and change it up so that the D can't key on one thing at that player should be ready from the snap of the ball then there should never be a miss communication... Whatever system the Bombers are using it hasn't work under Marcel B...

I would say that when facing a team you know will send a blitzs on a regular basis you should always have a blitz/quick option designated and change it up so that the D can't key on one thing at that player should be ready from the snap of the ball then there should never be a miss communication... Whatever system the Bombers are using it hasn't work under Marcel B...

Don't disagree at all.

I don't remember who said it last year (it was either Bob Irving or Doug Brown) but they noted there didn't seem to be a safety valve or check down option built into the offense.  But even if you look back at MBs body of work, he *HAS* gotten some QBs killed .. Cavillo suffered through a terrible season protection wise and started in only 13 games that season (the fewest he'd played since 1997) .. he was beaten, took a lot of punishment and people said that was the end of AC.

"you should always have a blitz/quick option designated " ... if I heard MOS correctly they do .... he made the problem out to be a player learning problem  i.e. a coordination execution problem by the players ... it only takes one weak link to kill the entire play ... we need togetherness, togetherness, togetherness .... maybe in a few games we will get that down & "gel"

Don't disagree at all.

I don't remember who said it last year (it was either Bob Irving or Doug Brown) but they noted there didn't seem to be a safety valve or check down option built into the offense.  But even if you look back at MBs body of work, he *HAS* gotten some QBs killed .. Cavillo suffered through a terrible season protection wise and started in only 13 games that season (the fewest he'd played since 1997) .. he was beaten, took a lot of punishment and people said that was the end of AC.

What I recall is the Cats using many delayed/deep blitzes repeatedly yet I saw many sets with nobody but Willy  behind our front 5 ... how is that thinking strategically .... where is the flexibilty in that .... it has every appearance of setting up "target practice" on the QB

Don't disagree at all.

What I recall is the Cats using many delayed/deep blitzes repeatedly yet I saw many sets with nobody but Willy  behind our front 5 ... how is that thinking strategically .... where is the flexibilty in that .... it has every appearance of setting up "target practice" on the QB

Others have said the same thing .. but "piss poor game plan" is all I can say to that .. 

I have no problems with an empty backfield IF the receivers are breaking open for a quick hitter and IF or RBS stay home for a quick outlet if after a second nobody has busted thru coverage and IF our 5 guys can block the middle and give the QB that one two steamboats to either hit the one on one coverage or dish it off..

Seems like none of those facts came to be when willy was out let alone all three lol

I was shocked to look at the stats after the game and they only gave up 2 sacks. So it's at 3 two games in. 1.5 per game so looking at 27 sacks.

Lets hope that continues ( pace to 27 vs 71 ) however from a D perspective we are on pace for 9 sacks and I would think that would be worst in CFL history ...

I was shocked to look at the stats after the game and they only gave up 2 sacks. So it's at 3 two games in. 1.5 per game so looking at 27 sacks.

Lets hope that continues ( pace to 27 vs 71 ) however from a D perspective we are on pace for 9 sacks and I would think that would be worst in CFL history ...
We have 2 sacks so that's 1 sack per game with 18 games equals 18 sacks.

Sacks numbers are down league wide. I think the rule changes have allowed QBs to get rid of the ball a little quicker eliminating a lot of the coverage sacks. QBs are still getting hit though.

Sacks numbers are down league wide. I think the rule changes have allowed QBs to get rid of the ball a little quicker eliminating a lot of the coverage sacks. QBs are still getting hit though.

I don't think we will be seeing the safety blitz as much as we have in the past, with the new rules the emphasis will be returned to their original function of helping out in pass defence.