Counter Blitz

BigBlue

I have watched with great envy over the years as I have watched other teams make mincemeat out of our blitzes.... too many have just picked us apart too often for too long

For the life of me I can not figure out why our Blue can not put together effective packages to counter the blitz

I don't even know if MB knows how to do it

I have watched with great envy over the years as I have watched other teams make mincemeat out of our blitzes.... too many have just picked us apart too often for too long

For the life of me I can not figure out why our Blue can not put together effective packages to counter the blitz

They just did it in Regina.

Regina wasn't brining the house every other play like the Cats

Perhaps we could try Gbill's suggestion and introduce a more....physical approach by our D-linemen and linebackers.

You talking about the "erotic" blitz's?

Sort of. If we introduced nudity for our O-line, it would probably distract onrushing players but you would have to stick with shotgun snaps for the center or else....

Perhaps we could try Gbill's suggestion and introduce a more....physical approach by our D-linemen and linebackers.

You talking about the "erotic" blitz's?
Sort of. If we introduced nudity for our O-line, it would probably distract onrushing players but you would have to stick with shotgun snaps for the center or else....
It's just another twist on the "unorthodox" defense we had last year. All about shocking the opponent with misdirection and a little male nudity.

They were sending 5 or 6 on most passing downs, and they have probably the best pass rushing end and tackle in the league.  Hamilton didn't send much more than that, the Bombers just had the wrong gameplan.  The Bombers handled it in Regina by using the backs just beyond the rush in the passing game and hitting hot routes with max protect on.  Took way too long vs Hamilton to get into max protect even as it became obvious that just leaving 5 in to block was not allowing Willy to even get his eyes downfield.  Ended with Willy out of the game.  Greaves chasing guys and leaving his inside gap wide open did not help, along with Picard being unable to take on anybody when he gets isolated by a blitz or stunt.

They were sending 5 or 6 on most passing downs, and they have probably the best pass rushing end and tackle in the league.  Hamilton didn't send much more than that, the Bombers just had the wrong gameplan.  The Bombers handled it in Regina by using the backs just beyond the rush in the passing game and hitting hot routes with max protect on.  Took way too long vs Hamilton to get into max protect even as it became obvious that just leaving 5 in to block was not allowing Willy to even get his eyes downfield.  Ended with Willy out of the game.  Greaves chasing guys and leaving his inside gap wide open did not help, along with Picard being unable to take on anybody when he gets isolated by a blitz or stunt.

To me the bigger issue is our OC since we have not been able to handle the Blitz since he has been our OC that is the single biggest problem with the Bomber offense at this time IMO... our Oline can only do so much you need to know where to go with the ball when you see a blitz and that is where the Bombers have struggled...IMO...You need to make a team pay for Blitzing and the Bombers have consistently failed to do that...If it was me I would be passing over the top on single coverage to try and go for a home run at least once in a while...

Trouble is that it seemed like we had MB's max protect when we got blitzed... two RB/FB assigned to block when Willy got hurt. 

Basically, MB is like Hank and Frank...  you either have a great OC that uses his RB to both run and screen, calls a nice mix (Sask) or he turtles (Ham).

MB......no screens....5 yard outs to wide side with back up....playing against a heavy blitzing team.....I chalk this Offensive game up to horrible planning. It's actually unbelievable to me how bad it was. Not only the fact that the screens weren't there like everyother play but that the inside recievers weren't (apparently anyway) taught to look early for a ball when the blitz was coming from there side. Watching this offence was like watching a train wreck...

Handling the blitz isn't difficult conceptually.  If they're sending 6 or 7 guys; 1-3 of your guys are roaming free.  Know your hot routes from your play selection and pre-snap reads, and the D will be forced to abandon the mass blitz packages pretty quickly.

Being unprepared to counter the blitz is a failing of game-planning, and therefore the OC.  I fully expect opposing defences to blitz us relentlessly until we make someone pay, and probably multiple times. 

Our blocking stepped up in Regina and we handled it well against the best DL in the CFL.  Hamilton sent overload packages at us all game, and confused our OL.  We tried doing what we did in Regina (blockers stepping up, and throwing downfield) but it didn't work against their overload blitzes.  We need to find a way for Cotton/Marshall to be safety valves against the blitzes in a way that Brandon Whitaker has mastered. 

If we can do that, we become VERY dangerous offensively.

On Irving's coaches show MOS was asked about handling the blitz .... he said the players have to learn how to adjust themselves ... there is a contingency plan on every play to help take advantage of the blitzes .... apparently they have a lot of learning to do ... he didn't speak to the coaching involved

On Irving's coaches show MOS was asked about handling the blitz .... he said the players have to learn how to adjust themselves ... there is a contingency plan on every play to help take advantage of the blitzes .... apparently they have a lot of learning to do ... he didn't speak to the coaching involved

Or there is a lot of teaching to do.....

I agree with the comments regarding screen passes and hot routes to negate the blitz. I have been questioning the OC of this team all last year for that exact problem. Why is it that other teams know and include in their offensive packages these concepts yet the Bombers cannot. Similarly why is it that a rookie QB can come into the league with what, one week of practice if that, and run around making the offense "work" while we have a similar QB in our stable yet he cannot see the light of day. I am not one to advocate getting rid of the incumbent and replace with whomever however when the fans can clearly see that the back up is like the starter and neither can move the team in these type of situations, it seems to me that you either implement screens or hot routes or get the QB out of the pocket to ease the pressure.

On another note many years ago it was a no no to run a passing route less than ten yards off the line of scrimmage unless it was a running back flaring out of the backfield. Can anyone tell me the rational or benefit to throwing a 5 yard pass some twenty yards across the field. Our QBs do not have the arm strength to do this first and foremost and in most instances the DBs are all over the guy when the ball arrives. Seems to me our expectations for YACs is dictating our passing package. I think I would much prefer to know that if I am throwing to X and he makes the catch we will have a first down or more. Guess it is simply old school football and it has been either forgotten or bypassed.

Just a few observations from a very disappointed fan.

I simply refuse to believe an offensive coordinator that's been in the CFL for this long does not grasp the concept of beat the blitz via hot routes (and O'shea confirms that every play has an outlet or route) and by max protection..

I DO believe that Brohm was not ready for the heat and/or he didn't study up his cards to know who was supposed to go where.. Or the receivers were not on the same page. Brohm has to recognize blitz and bark out the change normally, yes?

On another note many years ago it was a no no to run a passing route less than ten yards off the line of scrimmage unless it was a running back flaring out of the backfield. Can anyone tell me the rational or benefit to throwing a 5 yard pass some twenty yards across the field. Our QBs do not have the arm strength to do this first and foremost and in most instances the DBs are all over the guy when the ball arrives. Seems to me our expectations for YACs is dictating our passing package. I think I would much prefer to know that if I am throwing to X and he makes the catch we will have a first down or more. Guess it is simply old school football and it has been either forgotten or bypassed.

That's basically a safe play call. You'll either get a first down with YAC or punt it away.

In today's Freep Doug Brown held forth on this subject- apparently this vulnerability existed last year as well and teams exploited it to make life miserable for the Bomber QB's. Apart from O-line talent (or lack thereof) which coach bears the responsibility for this?

Oshea said on the CJOB show tonight that there's an outlet for the QB on every play.

There wasn't one on the play Willy got injured his only ( and best ) option was to throw the ball away...

It sounding like a broken record but this coaching staff and in especially our OC has no clue how to handle a Blitz...

In today's Freep Doug Brown held forth on this subject- apparently this vulnerability existed last year as well and teams exploited it to make life miserable for the Bomber QB's. Apart from O-line talent (or lack thereof) which coach bears the responsibility for this?

It me it isn;t a Talent issue we have the Top LT and one of the Top C and a high draft at RG and a strong vet at LG and a good player at RT and a second year player at RB and a SB that came in to help we have more than enough player to help but the Bomber don't seem to get that you need QUICK options to counter the Biltz no slow developing ones.... and you want player out in space with lots of room. If they sent Cotton into the flat a LB would have to cover him otherwise they could give up 20+ yards but when you keep him in to block you are bring another D player closer to your QB to me our OC is looking at it wrong... Instead of max protect ( which isn`t workng ) he should be spreading the D out and if they don`t cover and want to Blitz good luck to them .... you toss it over their head and we will still be running...

Oshea also suggested that some of the players on offense still have problems making pre-snap reads and identifying the blitz before it happens. I believe that mostly falls on Willy and Picard.

Also the rec. There were a few plays, one were Willy got pissed at JFG cause he didn't react in time to a pass....may have been the interception actually. Rec need to know when to run an option route and when to look for a ball. The greatest ever was very good at that!