Shaw Communications named presenting sponsor of Grey Cup

http://www.tsn.ca/shaw-communications-named-presenting-sponsor-of-grey-cup-1.278385

CALGARY - The CFL has named Shaw Communications Inc. the first-ever presenting sponsor of the Grey Cup.

New commissioner Jeffrey Orridge made the announcement Friday.

The multi-year partnership will also see Shaw Communications serving as the title partner of the CFL player awards and the league's weekly player achievement program.

"Shaw, a great Canadian company, is the perfect match for the great Canadian tradition that is the Grey Cup," Orridge said in a statement. "We all know the annual celebration of our championship game belongs to every Canadian.

"This partnership with Shaw will allow us to present it bigger and better than ever."

After Labour Day, Shaw will partner with league broadcaster TSN on a series called Shaw Road to the Grey Cup, which will also be prevalent on TSN and CFL digital properties.

"The CFL is Canada's premier sporting event, reaching millions from coast-to-coast every week, and this partnership will provide Shaw with a historic national platform that allows us to connect with our customers and CFL fans in a meaningful way," said Brad Shaw, the chief executive officer of Shaw Communications Inc. "We are proud to support such a profoundly Canadian institution as the CFL and are privileged to be the first ever presenting sponsor in the Grey Cup's storied history."

CFL training camps open later this month, with the regular season slated to kick off June 25.

The 2015 Grey Cup game will be held in Winnipeg on Nov. 29.

Anything you can sell to bring in more money for the club teams is a great thing...

You sure about that?

spa-pbc.jpg

Whenever I watch a game from the Spengler Cup I can't believe that advertisers even want to pay for jerseys like that^.  They are so busy that you can barely pick out a single sponsor when you see them.  I could see paying for the entire front or a patch on the back or something, but with 20 other logos on the shirt, it's useless.

This is awesome. I see Shaw filling a void that Rogers first created when they walked from their sponsorship. And with all the Rah-Rah that TSN/Bell is plugging towards Shaw, I see that as a bit of a middle finger in Rogers direction. 

Anything you can sell to bring in more money for the club teams is a great thing...

You sure about that?

spa-pbc.jpg

Whenever I watch a game from the Spengler Cup I can't believe that advertisers even want to pay for jerseys like that^.  They are so busy that you can barely pick out a single sponsor when you see them.  I could see paying for the entire front or a patch on the back or something, but with 20 other logos on the shirt, it's useless.

I think the CFL has it right in the case of on uniform sponsors. There's one or two patches on the shoulders, that's plenty. Gets the club some money but isn't too busy.

There has to be a common-sense limit on sponsorship limits. In New Zealand, polica cars have ads on them-weirdly inappropriate, unless they were for attorneys or bail-bond services.

I've lived in New Zealand for the last 8 years and haven't noticed advertising on police cars - I need to look more closely!

There has to be a common-sense limit on sponsorship limits. In New Zealand, polica cars have ads on them-weirdly inappropriate, unless they were for attorneys or bail-bond services.

I've lived in New Zealand for the last 8 years and haven't noticed advertising on police cars - I need to look more closely!

You can't see it it from the inside.

Can recall as a kid thinking how cheezy and bush it was that some of the american NHL teams had ads on the boards and pop music over the PA during play breaks and how it wouldnt fly in clean and pure Canada.

Sorry but ads on shirts is the future for every pro sport.

Can recall as a kid thinking how cheezy and bush it was that some of the american NHL teams had ads on the boards and pop music over the PA during play breaks and how it wouldnt fly in clean and pure Canada.

Sorry but ads on shirts is the future for every pro sport.

Yup. We need to be reminded by the players and owners that the sport(s) are all about money.

I think the sponsors have it all wrong..it's the fans at the games that should be wearing sponsor patches and colourful shirts, and beanie hats with spinning flyer ads.

It's the fans that have to be noticed by the players...they're the ones with all the bloody money.

I think the sponsors have it all wrong..it's the fans at the games that should be wearing sponsor patches and colourful shirts, and beanie hats with spinning flyer ads.

It's the fans that have to be noticed by the players...they're the ones with all the bloody money.

lol good point! In the CFL, fans make more than most players.